Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,308
· Newest Rebel: Rachel_4_Avon

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [46 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [30 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [35 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [27 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 209
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

 Print Thread
A New Avon.
Fiona
I've never been able to get the right actor i would like for a remake Avon I sometimes think Tom.Hardy....but he'd be a better Blake. Or Idris Elba...but he'd be a great sinister serial~killer Gan.
But now I have got my Avon: I'm watching The Dublin Murders and Killian Scott, he's the one! He's got all the right damaged brooding look and he is way sexy, though not as beautiful as Paul.Darrow but who could be, after all? And also he is not a bulked~out muscleman like seems to be mandatory almost now, which is great.
But who can be Vila and the women?
 
JustBrad
I don't think I could ever accept anyone other than Paul as Avon... or anyone other than Michael as Vila...

...but it has been discussed at our house. I humbly suggest James Frain, or Richard Dormer as Avon.
Back in the 90's, Jeremy Brett would have made a good Avon, but alas, he too has passed.

Vila: Toby Jones? Rory Kinnear? Dan Starky?
Men of Harlech cease your dreaming, can't you see their street signs gleaming...
 
GanMiniMe
I donít think the original cast could be improved upon. But purely hypothetically, I think Callum Scott Howells (Colin from ĎItís a Siní) would be great as Vila!

Avon... Iíve no idea about.
Edited by GanMiniMe on 15 April 2021 07:13:12
 
Spaceship Dispatcher
Although new ideas are essential and can be brilliant, I'm also in favour old ideas being revived for new generations of talent and audiences to perform in and relate to. I never feel that a remake or reinvention can affect an original, so would definitely be in favour of a new interpretation of this or any other classic show. Yes, we identify with the original cast as is our prerogative, but a new generation of viewers who don't relate to these productions, that are maybe twice as old as they are, should also have the opportunity to identify with these creations in a relevant, contemporary context. After all, that's what made the original fanbase fall in love with the original show. So, a new show with a new cast? Bring it on! As for who could play Avon, I have felt for a long time that Burn Gorman would be a good choice for the role.
 
Lee Bagnall
In terms of voice alone, the guy who was playing No.6* in the Big Finish remakes of The Prisoner** could be a potential audio only Avon. But TBH, just leave well alone as only Paul Darrow could be Avon and no one else would be anywhere near as good.

* Really, the title character is 'P', he refuses to be numbered.

** Another of Big Finish efforts to bleed fans white. The 60s series is all you need, anything else is a poor imitation.
"Seldon, Janov. Space Commander. Alpha 14922. Name, rank and serial number. That's all you're getting!"
 
BradPaula
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Although new ideas are essential and can be brilliant, I'm also in favour old ideas being revived for new generations of talent and audiences to perform in and relate to. I never feel that a remake or reinvention can affect an original, so would definitely be in favour of a new interpretation of this or any other classic show. Yes, we identify with the original cast as is our prerogative, but a new generation of viewers who don't relate to these productions, that are maybe twice as old as they are, should also have the opportunity to identify with these creations in a relevant, contemporary context. After all, that's what made the original fanbase fall in love with the original show. So, a new show with a new cast? Bring it on! As for who could play Avon, I have felt for a long time that Burn Gorman would be a good choice for the role.


Alex, when there was active talk of a reboot of the series a few years ago, we happened to talk with Burn Gorman at one convention and told him about a possible re-boot and said we thought he'd be a great Avon. He agreed, after mentioning would he dare try and reprise Paul Darrow's signature role- and said he'd love to play the part. Well, we know the reboot fell through, but still- he'd be a good Avon.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.
 
Deva
Lee Bagnall wrote:
just leave well alone as only Paul Darrow could be Avon and no one else would be anywhere near as good.


Absolutely.
"Time really is getting short, you know..."
 
littlesue
Aneurin Barnard...I think this is the chap that a TV critic said reminded him of Paul Darrow as Avon. I'll have to try and find that newspaper cutting.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!


sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/
 
Deva
Of course there have already been two other Avons, Colin Salmon and Mark Heap.
"Time really is getting short, you know..."
 
Spaceship Dispatcher
littlesue wrote:

Aneurin Barnard...I think this is the chap that a TV critic said reminded him of Paul Darrow as Avon. I'll have to try and find that newspaper cutting.

Aneurin Barnard would be a phenomenal Avon! I've seen him in a few things, as the photographer David Bailey in a biographical drama, as Richard III in The White Queen, and in my favourite Marple episode, Endless Night
 
GanMiniMe
I do seem to remember him certainly being a very striking-looking man. Iíve certainly heard worse suggestions...
 
littlesue
I found the image of that newspapercutting. It was Ben Miles as the Earl of Somerset in The Hollow Crown who the TV critic likened to Mr D.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!


sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/
 
Spaceship Dispatcher
littlesue wrote:

I found the image of that newspaper cutting. It was Ben Miles as the Earl of Somerset in The Hollow Crown who the TV critic likened to Mr D.

He was a superb Captain Townsend in the first two seasons of The Crown too.
 
briggsy1
Who would do all the computer voices? It would need a very talented voice artiste to fill the footsteps of Peter Tuddenham.I'm currently listening to Pyramids of Mars. Would Gabriel Woolf be interested - he's brilliant as Sutekh.
 
Spaceship Dispatcher
briggsy1 wrote:

Who would do all the computer voices? It would need a very talented voice artiste to fill the footsteps of Peter Tuddenham.I'm currently listening to Pyramids of Mars. Would Gabriel Woolf be interested - he's brilliant as Sutekh.

Wishful thinking, but I would love to hear Anton Lesser as the voice of Orac Grin
 
CharlotteAnn
I always think Jonathan Rhys-Meyers looks suitably evil and deep enough to be Avon but he's far too old now. We want a man in his late 20s or something so the series can continue for a long time.
-
-
-
Nervous? I'm not nervous. Just... poised for action, that's all.
 
Moon Disk
CharlotteAnn wrote:

I always think Jonathan Rhys-Meyers looks suitably evil and deep enough to be Avon but he's far too old now. We want a man in his late 20s or something so the series can continue for a long time.


It needs someone a bit older, who looks like life has battered him about but left him standing. No one too pretty either - it needs someone with that elusive 'something' without being too obvious. I was watching 'Dalgleish' earlier and thought that Bertie Carvel might make a good Avon - he has a quiet intensity that would suit the character.

Oh, and Rufus Sewell for Travis. Definitely Grin
* * * * * *
"Broadsword calling Danny Boy"
 
CharlotteAnn
Moon Disk wrote:

It needs someone a bit older, who looks like life has battered him about but left him standing. No one too pretty either - it needs someone with that elusive 'something' without being too obvious. I was watching 'Dalgleish' earlier and thought that Bertie Carvel might make a good Avon - he has a quiet intensity that would suit the character.

Oh, and Rufus Sewell for Travis. Definitely Grin


Some men in their 20s and 30s look a bit battered though. I was just thinking we needed someone youngish so he could continue in the series for a long time. Because if we got a new Blake's 7 of course it would be super popular and everyone would want it to continue for a long time! *hoping*

The elusive something is stillness. All charismatic actors are very still. But generally have very expressive eyes. Obviously Paul Darrow had those characteristics in spades.

Yes to Rufus Sewell! Perfect choice *thumbs up*
-
-
-
Nervous? I'm not nervous. Just... poised for action, that's all.
 
Obsidian
John Guilor does a phenomenal Paul Darrow voice impersonation, which is kind of funny considering Mr. D's ability to impersonate others. He could do the audio recordings.

I'm not in favour of remakes because they often lose what motivated them in the first place. I mean, would a new writer be brave enough to address the persistent trend towards totalitarianism in Western society since its beginnings in the 1970s and which spurred some of the writing in the first place, or would it superficially follow the original scripts and tone them down for people unaccustomed to dealing with harsh political realities? I rather suspect the latter. The Cold War tensions of the 1970s and '80s and the real fear of nuclear conflict, coupled with the rise of neo-liberalism are evident throughout B7 and were part of what made it relevant at the time. If all that happens is that some actors mouth the words and don't make it relevant to today by challenging the bad bits of our own societies, then it will fail.

As for actors, I'm yet to be convinced by anyone for any role except for Jing Lusi as Servalan. In Stan Lee's Lucky Man her Lily-Anne Lau IS Servalan.
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron!GrinFrown
 
http://www.etsy.com/au/shop/SeraglioDesigns
Ulera
The idea of anybody else playing Avon or any of the other roles for that matter is unthinkable - it would be a complete travesty.
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.70 seconds
36,620,742 unique visits since 8th January 2014