Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Kerr Avon
JustBrad
I don't know if wreck is the right word. While he is heading for the abyss, I don't think he's aware of the danger. When the gun fires and Blake dies, Avon seems as shocked as anyone that his gun has fired. I think it was an act of survival reflex brought on by stress, rather than anything premeditated.

peladon
Frankymole wrote:

JannaKalderash wrote:

Avon was not a man to indulge himself in guilt or remorse; if he had, he'd have been an absolute wreck, psychologically speaking.
He was a wreck, psychologically speaking.

Your evidence for that being ........

JustBrad
peladon wrote:

Frankymole wrote:

JannaKalderash wrote:

Avon was not a man to indulge himself in guilt or remorse; if he had, he'd have been an absolute wreck, psychologically speaking.

Gold Orbit Warlord Blake?

peladon
JustBrad wrote:

peladon wrote:

Frankymole wrote:

JannaKalderash wrote:

Gold Orbit Warlord Blake?

They arent evidence for him being a 'psychological wreck', though they are all evidence for him being a different man, but thats a seperate discussion.

Assuming you are talking about the man as he appears in Sd then his actions are quite consistent. They reflect a view of the world that most fans wouldnt relate to, that doesn't make him dsyfunctional, sick or anything else wreck like. It just means that he is operating from a different set of imperitives.

GoldChannel
JustBrad wrote:

I don't know if wreck is the right word. While he is heading for the abyss, I don't think he's aware of the danger. When the gun fires and Blake dies, Avon seems as shocked as anyone that his gun has fired. I think it was an act of survival reflex brought on by stress, rather than anything premeditated.

maybe it's in That Very Second that he realises..... oh shit, what have i done?..... and as Blake sags in his arms, dying, he fully realises what Blake's true intentions were...

that smile at the end is perfect.... he finalyl sees his place in the scheme of things, the horrible punchline to a bad cosmic joke...

Ela
GoldChannel wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

maybe it's in That Very Second that he realises..... oh shit, what have i done?..... and as Blake sags in his arms, dying, he fully realises what Blake's true intentions were...

that smile at the end is perfect.... he finalyl sees his place in the scheme of things, the horrible punchline to a bad cosmic joke...

Yeah, agreed, Gold Channel.

Panna
Sorry to bump this thread, but it is something I've wondered. What is Avon's place is the scheme of things?
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

JustBrad
Panna wrote:

Sorry to bump this thread, but it is something I've wondered. What is Avon's place is the scheme of things?

Originally he was the anti-hero to Blake's hero, a virtually unique concept at the time, a cynic among the idealists. Once Gareth left the show, they needed a new main character, and Avon was the strongest and best option.

Panna
Oh, sorry, that's not what I meant. I mean at the end of Blake, when Avon smiles, what did he think his place in the scheme of things was? He's the butt of a cosmic joke as said above, but what exactly is the joke?
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

JustBrad
Panna wrote:

Oh, sorry, that's not what I meant. I mean at the end of Blake, when Avon smiles, what did he think his place in the scheme of things was? He's the butt of a cosmic joke as said above, but what exactly is the joke?

Perhaps that Blake did it his way, Avon did it his way, and they end up in the same place.

peladon
JustBrad wrote:

Panna wrote:

Perhaps that Blake did it his way, Avon did it his way, and they end up in the same place.

Personally I doubt that even the 'Avon' of that last series would see things that way. If I had to guess at the meaning of the smile I would note the set jaw and the gritted teeth element of it. Then I would look back to Terminal and his remark about his and Blake's deaths being linked. So I think I would read the meaning as being 'Sometimes I wish I got things wrong. OK you bastards think I'm gping to give in easily do you? Well lets see how many of you I can get before you get me'.

trevor travis
It's much more a grimace than a smile, isn't it?

It's Terminal that ends with an actual smile - because Servalan pulled in Avon hook, line and sinker, but has ended up (apparently) dead.

Panna
It would have made more sense had Servalan stayed dead, but had a twin sister named Sleer.
After all, Cally and Tarrant had doubles.

Panna
Anyway, I've heard that line about Avon being the butt of a cosmic joke before, and forgive me for being slow, but any idea what people mean by that? (Weather you agree with the theory or not).

Panna
When I was a kid, my gut reaction to that smile was that he finally cracked up. So I go with my gut. It's a sort of mad "let's dance," look.

BradPaula
I think after Avon shot Blake and the Feds swarmed in and all was lost including his crewmates and ship, there was nothing else for Avon to do but smile and slowly bring up his gun. If you call that being the butt of a cosmic joke, then so be it. He had nothing else to live for, nothing else could be done but go out with a bang and an ironic smile on his face. It certainly became a lasting memory.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Lurena
A little bonus for all of you Avon fans:

i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac236/neoantares/avon/Lavon.jpg

Awwww! I would not mind to welcome him!
Looks so much better than the CocaCola Santa who always scares me off.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
trevor travis
Lurena wrote:

A little bonus for all of you Avon fans:

i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac236/neoantares/avon/Lavon.jpg

Excellent Lurena Grin

However, I can't help that this will leave me somewhat traumatised after the rewatch next Tuesday - when Santa guns down Blake Shock Shock

Lurena
trevor travis wrote:

However, I can't help that this will leave me somewhat traumatised after the rewatch next Tuesday - when Santa guns down Blake Shock Shock

My advise: play the episode in reverse. (check their privacy comment and safety first. Wink
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Travisina
News announced today - in a BFI Poll of Best Sci Fi Character of all time, with thousands voting, Avon came a very respectable 4th (after the Doctor, Ellen Ripley and Darth Vader!).
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.43 seconds
9,131,959 unique visits since 8th January 2014