Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,257
· Newest Rebel: onlyme

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [28 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [14 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [29 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [31 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [24 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 193
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Century Castings: Federation Officer's Pistol
Lee Bagnall
Short and simple kit review here.

I bought it on ebay a few years back and IIRC cost me about thirty notes. The kit has since been revised with slightly different detail in places. Can't comment on that one - yet - so the review is for the older one.

Kitt arrived in a fairly sturdy cardboard box and comprised some 8 resin pieces, two self adhesive chrome strips and a small block of filler (milliput). Instructions are on an A4 sheet, but there are some colour photos on the top an the reverse of the box. All the parts are pretty well cast and most of the resin pouring lugs had already been removed by the manufacturer. Some cleanup was required, but that's just yer basic sanding and anyone with any experience of building resin kits shouldn't have a problem. From the point of view of someone who does his own resin casting and moulding, I'd change the location of said stubs to aid cleanup and assembly, but this is an older kit.

Assembly is fairly quick once the basic cleanup was done. I drilled a few holes to take some pieces of a cut down paperclip add some rigidity and strength to the join between the handle and the main body. The "magazine" - the silver bit at the back - needed some cleanup to remove the pouring lug, whereas the muzzle needed a few shims of plastic card for a tighter fit. I left off the button that goes on the left side of the handle as it was easier from a painting standpoint. And then it was time for the filler or putty.

Now I *really* dislike Milliput. I don't like the way it mixes or the absolute ice age it takes to cure, so I used my usual Humbrol filler, which cures quicker and I had a reasonable stash. Filling the tiny air bubbles and sink holes took a fair while before I could get a coat of Halfords primer on it. The first coat showed up a lot that I knew I hadn't caught and a load more that I'd missed. It became a familiar pattern - fill, sand, prime and repeat. And then disaster struck - I dropped it and it landed on the muzzle, which broke.

I managed to find two of the pieces and glued them back on as they were clean breaks, but one had vanished, so I had to rebuild it with a toxic mixture of plastic card, superglue and baking soda (coat part in superglue, dump a load of baking soda on it, shake off excess and repeat. Then sand to shape.) It looked okay after several coats of primer and it looks like this:

https://scontent-...e=60100910

Finally happy with it, out with the paint proper. Apparently, the correct colour for Federation gun metal is Vauxhall Hazel Brown metallic, and that's in the current Halfords range. Several coats for the body and then a similar number for the handle. Happy with the finish, I carefully masked off the area around the magazine and then sprayed that with Halfords Aluminum. I had thought about hand painting, but I'm much happier with the sprayed finish.

Just the tiny bits to do now. The "safety catch" I'd sprayed aluminium earlier and that was glued on with PVA. Once it had cured, I painted that and the trigger, plus the inside of the muzzle in matt black. After a few minutes I added the chrome strip around the barrel between the body and the muzzle. And it was done.

https://scontent-...e=601089A0

https://scontent-...e=601351CF

All told, it's taken two weeks of effort. I'm very pleased with the final result - it looks spiffing in the cabinet next to the two replicas bought as completed props from Century castings - and I'm going to lash out on the newer model, plus the two other variations on a theme that Century Castings do.
"An eyepatch? Practically a badge of honour for space commanders, but the cane?"

Lee Bagnall
Having taken delivery of further Blake's 7 related kits, I'm highly impressed with their service. I'll review them as and when I get round to building them.
"An eyepatch? Practically a badge of honour for space commanders, but the cane?"

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.21 seconds
30,427,873 unique visits since 8th January 2014