Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 14

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,257
· Newest Rebel: onlyme

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [28 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [14 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [29 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [31 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [24 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 193
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
New member saying hello
Teleport
Hi there,

Just thought I'd drop a note after joining this community. I first watched Blake's 7 when it aired here in the Netherlands in 1979 (Season 1) and 1982 (Season 2). I was only 7 years old in 1979 so I wonder how much I really understood of the series (not speaking English yet and probably not being able to read the subtitles properly either), but I loved it.

I have always actively remembered a lot of stuff from that first time watching it, including all characters and I remember thinking that the Liberator, Zen and Orac were really cool (and I still think so) and I think my favourite character back then was Avon (probably still is).

I also remembered specific bits from episodes, such as the moon discs from 'Shadow' and the chess game against The Clute in 'Gambit'. Quite amazing to remember such stuff 32 years later in 2014 which was the first time I rewatched the entire series (except for the very last episode which I didn't want to watch).

The reason I didn't rewatch that last episode might seem silly, but I kinda wanted to be able to pretend it didn't happen (even though I know it's not absolutely clear from that final scene if all of them really died, except Blake of course). I've been hoping for many, many years that the BBC would see fit to produce another season but alas, it was not to be.

I also remember that I actually took photographs of the Blake's 7 logo from the television screen, I think shortly after my parents got their first colour tv :-) Might still be somewhere at my parent's place although they have moved so who knows what happened to them (the pictures).

Funny story perhaps: the reason I rewatched Blake's at that time was because our newborn absolutely refused to go to sleep and stay asleep while lying on his back. The only way at least one of us would get any rest at night was by allowing him to sleep on his belly, so being quite aware of the increased risk of SIDS we took turns watching over him while he was sleeping at night in his playpen in the living room (which also worked much better than his actual bed).

So having plenty of time due to staying up in the middle of night I took to rewatching the whole series at that time on YouTube and DailyMotion where I was able to find all of them, usually in decent quality (the ones that had the CGI intro added were particularly good as I remember).

Recently I felt like rewatching it again so I started out the same way, Googling for full episodes. Some were not available in good quality though so halfway through Season 2 I figured I would check if it was available on DVD and behold, there was the 40th anniversay box with the entire series and a special. Ordered it rightaway and I have just finished watching the final episode of season 2.

Soon I will start watching Season 3, too bad it's the last season with the Liberator because I don't like the Scorpio and Slave nearly as much as the Liberator and Zen. I also remember always hoping that they would find Blake again but to my chagrin they never did until the very end iirc.

Well, that's my story regarding Blake's 7 and it is definitely one of my best preserved childhood memories.
Edited by Teleport on 27 November 2020 16:38:03

Annie
Hi there Teleport. What lovely memories. Thanks for sharing. Do you know Lurena? She’s also from Holland. Avon is definitely her favourite!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
Hi there Teleport and welcome.
Quite a lot of people don't like watching the last episode so you are not alone, but most of us believe that Avon survived, hence so many Post Gauda Prime stories. Terry Nation did actually have an idea with regard to following on, and he had Avon and Vila survive, and also dear Uncle Vere Lorrimer did remind us, back in the day, that there was no blood (only on Blake and Mr Thomas had requested all that gore!) and that you should listen to the gunshots...
Please feel free to join in the rewatches that we have every Tuesday evening. They are not serious at all.
Also, Lurena is another fan who lives in the Netherlands.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Joe Dredd
Welcome, Teleport.

Glad you have arrived with us 'down & safe'.

Teleport
Thanks for the warm welcome all of you. I'm pretty certain I don't know Lurena.

Apart from reading a fair bit about Blake's 7 online I also read a book a few years ago about the Blake's 7 production which I borrowed from a friend. I don't remember the title but it had quite a bit of information and interviews which was fun to read.

As a child I never noticed the cheap and sometimes outright lousy sets and fx. I still enjoy rewatching it (although a few scenes and fx are truly cringeworthy :-) ) but I recently wondered what a company like Weta Workshops might be able to do with the original footage. I mean, if you've seen what they did with the ancient footage in They shall not grow old and what other fx miracles they have worked, you'd think they'd be able to seriously enhance the look of Blake's 7. If done expertly and with taste that might be fun to watch.

I also wonder if at some point it might be possible to create new episodes using deepfakes, where both the voice and appearance of the original cast members could be simulated by deepfake algorithms. The likelyhood of either happening is remote of course.

I'm actually big enough of a fan that I recently ordered some Liberator model kits, I've always felt that the Liberator is one of, if not the coolest spaceship designs ever. The kit from Century Castings was out of stock so I went with some 3d printed models instead, a 12" and also an 18" version which includes LED lighting for the engine. I'm sure I'll manage assembly but I'm not too sure of the painting part.

Speaking of Century Castings, do any of you know how I might reach them? I initially had some email exchanges with them regarding the purchase of a Liberator gun with teleport bracelet and display stand but after I asked about ordering through my company here in the Netherlands without VAT (a simple matter between companies within the EU) they stopped replying. I don't know if that means they're not receiving my emails or if I'm not receiving theirs or if they just think I'm too troublesome.

I also tried calling them at +44 7840 661090 which is the number Google lists for them but it doesn't even ring. I tried calling from my landline as well as my cellphone with the same result. Their webshop does not allow me to put the Liberator gun in the basket either. Any idea how I could reach them? I'd really like to order the gun and bracelet from them.
Edited by Teleport on 27 November 2020 22:15:41

One Spare Part
Teleport, you should definitely join the Tuesday rewatches. I think you'll find them very interesting. As littlesue says, they are not serious, in fact sometimes they are a barrel of laughs. I joined in time for the 40th anniversary rewatch of series 1. Talk about having your eyes opened. These guys and gals know their Blakes 7. Like you, I couldn't rewatch Blake. Until my 1st year of rewatching, I hadn't seen it for over 20 years. Too painful. But I see it differently now thanks to being on this forum. I really see all of B7 differently, it's what makes this place so wonderful. I look forward to seeing your comments. Grin
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

BradPaula
Very glad to have you aboard, Teleport. You are welcome here!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

mrsbookmark
Welcome Teleport!

Teleport
One Spare Part wrote:

Teleport, you should definitely join the Tuesday rewatches. I think you'll find them very interesting.

Don't think I will be able to any time soon, me and my wife usually slump down on the couch around that time after putting the kids to bed. She does enjoy watching a good sci-fi movie but I'm certain she will not enjoy watching Blake's 7 with me, especially not in this format. But who knows in future...

littlesue
Teleport wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Teleport, you should definitely join the Tuesday rewatches. I think you'll find them very interesting.

Don't think I will be able to any time soon, me and my wife usually slump down on the couch around that time after putting the kids to bed. She does enjoy watching a good sci-fi movie but I'm certain she will not enjoy watching Blake's 7 with me, especially not in this format. But who knows in future...

My Hubby doesn't watch B7 with me either, I'm usually in the Hall (which as everyone knows is very cold at this time of year) with one half of the computer screen showing the episode and the other half with the comments on. Sometimes with the exciting bits we forget to post..even after 40 years we still get engrossed. The last 15 minutes of Rumours of Death being a case in point, as well as the last bit of Blake of course.
Your wife may find it a bit confusing if she starts with Sand, which is next Tuesday.
So start from the beginning. Another idea might be to go back in the Forum and find the other rewatches to see what goes on.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

ClareGC
Lovely to meet you, Teleport. And great to hear your stories of discovering and re-discovering the series. I still think that the Liberator, Zen and Orac are really cool as well, but I've come to appreciate Season 4 a lot more since joining the rewatches on here. I hope you get a chance to join in with some at some point.
Avon: "Not enough! Not nearly enough! Dammit, what weighs seventy kilos?"
Orac: "Vila weighs seventy-three kilos, Avon."
Avon: "Vila, are you here? I need your help."

Lurena
Van harte welkom Teleport!
Goed dat je ons gevonden hebt!
Ik was tot dusver de enige Nederlandse fan hier.
Wees er zeker van dat je je bij het allervriendelijkste, fijnste (en ook soms een beetje maffe) fandom ter wereld aangesloten hebt.
Je vindt hier een goede portie humor en behulpzaamheid.
I'm looking forward to your posts.
Enjoy the forum!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Teleport
Dankjewel, klinkt als een gezellige boel hier Smile

Surprising that we're the only two dutch members here, would not have expected that. I personally know at least two other people who love the series (my 4 year older brother and the aforementioned friend whose book on Blake's 7 production I borrowed) but on the other hand they are unlikely to join and that's probably true for many fans.

It's not just Blake's 7 that I like, I've always been more interested in english (language) literature and movies etc than anything dutch. For instance I also like Dr Who (although I've seen not nearly enough episodes), Red Dwarf (I realize I'm far from unique in liking thos two, especially Dr Who) and I also recently rewatched Sapphire & Steel which I also remembered from way back.

I also love reading (although I don't read as much as I would like): Terry Pratchett, Tolkien, Jack Vance (he's American of course but his prose and way with words is just wonderful), Clive Barker and all the other sf and fantasy greats. All in english of course, not translated. Although I must say that the original dutch translation of The Hobibit, Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion is absolutely fantastic.

By contrast the dutch translation of The Children of Húrin, which I only browsed through in a bookstore, is absolute rubbish, they modernized the wording and it completely fails to capture the spirit of the original. But I have it in english so no problem for me. In fact I also have, and have read, the entire History of Middle Earth series.

But enough about me, we now return you to your regularly scheduled program :-)

Lurena
Ah Teleport, also a big fan of Doctor Who here (almost all of Tom Baker's episodes were broadcast in the Netherlands before DW got banned and as a result he became my favourite Doctor) and I'm also definitely an admirer of Terry Pratchett (made cosplay costumes for my son in law), Tolkien and the American writer Jack Vance is high on top. (I still have occasional contact with his son who is involved in the publishing house Spatterlight).
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.43 seconds
30,355,726 unique visits since 8th January 2014