Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 946
· Newest Rebel: Bailey t

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
20% [20 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 100
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Liberator Chronicles 7 *Spoilers Thread*
Spaceship Dispatcher
7.1 Spy

Listened to 7.1 Spy this morning and have to say that it left me somewhat underwhelmed. Simon Guerrier's work is usually much stronger than this, but several things just made this feel more like AU* fanfic pushed in front of original cast members than a real attempt to build on the original series as it actually existed. The idea of Vila and Cally being teamed up for an infiltration mission 'behind enemy lines' without either Blake or Avon just seems all wrong as neither is fully trusted and obviously don't get on well enough to work alone together, as Simon goes on to demonstate with harsh thoughts from Cally towards Vila especially. Secondly, while there's not much plot here its also not a good character two hander as there's not much shared dialogue; Simon explains in the sleeve notes how he wanted to write a cold war spy pastiche set in the B7 universe, but sadly that's all it turns out to be. The guest role is wasted on a few scenes where the character is curiously ineffectual despite holding all the cards and a big gun, which points to the writer thinking more about doing what he wants rather than the studio getting the best value from the resources hired for the day. And finally, the story goes too far and crosses the line between using villainy and torture as a fantasy element and actually moves into inflicting serious and life changing injuries on the regular characters that simply doesn't fit the established canon; my own fanfic efforts put characters (especially my princess of all distressed damsels Amy Pond) through the wringer somewhat, but that's a line that I'm always careful not to cross. Not one of Simon's best by a long way, but I'm sure he'll come back with something great next time. My score: 5/10

*Alternate Universe - changing the show rather than adding to it...
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 05 January 2015 16:52:28
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
7.2 Disorder

This one has gone straight up into my favourite Big Finish B7 audios! Not saying that its one of the best ever, or that its special or profound in any way as the story is relatively simple and operates on a small scale on both plot and emotional levels; just that its one of the titles in the range that I have enjoyed listening to the most. The dialogue is wonderful and is essentially an hour of listening to Paul and Michael being Avon and Vila without the distraction of a wider picture, so we get lots of banter and comic moments from start to finish. The duel nature of the plot, with two operations going on at the same time and the way that these sub-plots and the characters' involvements with them are woven together, works well in that it creates plenty of confusion in the mind of the narrator at the time he was on the station (Michael reads this in the first person as Vila) and prevents the story sounding like a report. Yes, my two favourite B7 characters are Avon and Vila; but that in a way puts pressure on the drama because I have higher expectations. This met those expectations fully, sounded authentic, and was a lot of fun to listen to without being anything too grand. 8/10
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
7.3 The Hard Road

Well, that to me was one of the most interesting LCs so far. It explores the question of whether making moral choices is a benefit of only being responsable to yourselves, and being able to remove yourselves in a fast ship allowing luxuries in free choice that are actually an illusion. It goes into the 'freedom fighter' or terrorist argument in a very practical way, with Blake seeing the other rebel group in the former catagory at the start of the play but later readjusting his views. As a consequence, within the wider context of the show, Blake comes across as highly hypocritical. But in that regard, James Swallow almost presents this play as a counter argument to the hypocracy claim by showing us a rebel leader further down the titular 'hard road' that Blake himself will later follow. There are lines that clearly foreshadow both Star One and Gauda Prime, so James has definately tried hard to tie this story in with the broadcast canon - at least in terms of characterisation; I don't know enough about specific episode plots or the pseudo-science of the B7verse to spot any other errors. In general terms, this was a well written piece with good dialogue and descriptive prose and also some good insights into the emotions and feelings behind the words and actions. A very good 9/10, and of particular interest with regard to the debate over Blake as a person.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Has anyone else listened to these episodes and have views on them?

BradPaula
I have listened to LC#7 twice and plan on commenting on the stories, SD. Sorry- but I've been a bit busy and haven't had the time to organize my thoughts (difficult to do I hear you say!) Grin
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

BradPaula
7.1 Spy. I have to agree with SD and his assessment of the Simon Guerrier story. It is a bit AU. I do think however that the pairing of Vila and Cally was good in the story, although the point that either Blake or Avon should have accompanied one or both is a valid one.

My main enjoyment of the story was the dynamics of the Vila - Cally relationship. They have to pretend they are a bickering married couple to cover the actual mission they are on. I did enjoy all that- and think that both actors got tremendous enjoyment out of those scenes. However, the mission goes wrong and one is left to wonder if Vila would actually act the way he does in the story. I think I'd give this story a 7/10.

7.2 Disorder. Written by Eddie Robson. Prefomed by Michael Keating and Paul Darrow. Now this is more of a Blake's 7 story. Avon and Vila team up and infiltrate a decommissioned space station in order to steal some items. They spend an extended period of time there and the byplay between the two characters is typical and brilliant writing. I loved this story and will give it a 9/10.

7.3 The Hard Road by James Swallow. Performed by Gareth Thomas and Andrew Whipp. Blake decides it is time to fight back against the Federation and fight with allies this time. But some allies are better than others and this one seems to follow the Federation's code and not the Rebels.

Whenever I hear a Blake story I wonder which way it will go? Everyone seems to have a different view of the Rebel. Will he be ruthless in this one? Foolhardy, naive? I liked this story and I'm very glad of the author delving into Blake's thoughts and ideas on fighting the Federation. Kudos to actor Andrew Whipp for giving a powerful preformance. I'd give this one a 7/10.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

trevor travis
I quite like all three stories from Volume 7.

I think my favourite of the three is the Hard Road - with Blake biting off slightly more than he can chew, after he founds out fellow rebel leaders might be rather more ruthless (it's an Albert story, later on Blake is more-or-less as ruthless himself!!).

Gauda Cheese
Had this and 6 on the shelf for ages and having finished 6 I'll be starting this one tomorrow.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Gauda Cheese
Have heard Spy and Disorder and both are fine entertaining stories. Solid stuff, if not mind blowing.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

winnie-l
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:7.1 Spy
And finally, the story ... actually moves into inflicting serious and life changing injuries on the regular characters that simply doesn't fit the established canon;
I've finished listening to this & really don't grok what you're saying here!

Cally is shot in her side, but (we all know) Liberator's fantastic medical facilities can heal that.
Arta (IIRC her name) uses a torture-ray gun on Cally, then Vila, then the rest of Liberator crew. She says herself, & Vila's narrated experience backs this up, that it's painful but short-term.

So what do you mean "inflicting serious and life changing injuries on the regular characters" please?

winnie-l
Must add, Vila's narration was EXCELLENT, several times I lost the thread of the story, being completely charmed by the melodic/gripping/vivid character of his voice. Cally was superb too. I stick by my enthusiasm for & enjoyment of Cally & Vila as a team.

IIRC one of the earlier BF audios also teamed them up on a dire planet surface & I really really REALLY enjoyed them as a voice-team there too. :-]

JustBrad
winnie-l wrote:

Must add, Vila's narration was EXCELLENT...

Michael is a natural story teller. At the old Visions cons in Chicago in the 90's they would have a celebrity cabaret. Guests who wanted to would sing, perform excerpts from plays, etc. We saw Sally K sing, saw Paul and Gareth recreate some Hamlet, and saw Michael enthrall the audience reading Edgar Allen Poe.

bob79519
For me, the main problem with Spy is that it's a missed opportunity. It could just be the Avon/Cally fan inside of me, but having Avon and Cally pretend to be a married couple? That could make for a great story! Sadly, it's Vila instead. Oh well, at least it's given me an idea for a fanfic!

Travisina
bob79519 wrote:

For me, the main problem with Spy is that it's a missed opportunity. It could just be the Avon/Cally fan inside of me, but having Avon and Cally pretend to be a married couple?

But the Vila fan inside me loved that set up! It would have been a different dynamic if it was Avon & Cally pretending, which I imagine could be similar to the way they interact in 'City'.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

winnie-l
Have just started listening to 7.2 Disorder. The technogeek in me loves "wrist hub" (that Vila mentions). BRILLIANT! and he's met femme (fatale?! hope not!) "Roselle" - indeed what a pretty name, hadn't heard it before. If it's a name "invented" for the story - KUDOS to writer. I love it when different-society/culture is well-done & plausible

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.55 seconds
10,493,274 unique visits since 8th January 2014