Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Red Dwarf rewatch 8.6 and 8.7
One Spare Part
Night all
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

I didn't see Archie in the credits.

Nor Bob.

JustBrad
Early RD took some standard Sci Fi tropes and really pushed the narrative.

This episode took what at the time was a fairly original idea of turning a sparrow into a T Rex via the timey wimey, only to struggle with both the plot and humor.

The padding was evident, slowing the pace and spreading out the plot and the real laughs. Can't help but wonder if this would have been a cracking single episode.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

One Spare Part
I agree it would have made a good single episode. The ingredients are there: a "scientific" concept of time travel, a dinosaur, Bob, the us v them part of the story, good idea for the ending...spoiled somewhat by over-elaboration and excessive use of junior jokes. If Lister had pointed the time gadget at Cap Hollister one more time I would have...hulked out!

JustBrad
One Spare Part wrote:
...and excessive use of junior jokes. ...

Indeed, while there is nothing wrong with a little bathroom humor, this had a LOT of bathroom humor, and we are used to RD being subtler and more clever.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

trevor travis
One Spare Part wrote:

I agree it would have made a good single episode. The ingredients are there: a "scientific" concept of time travel, a dinosaur, Bob, the us v them part of the story, good idea for the ending...spoiled somewhat by over-elaboration and excessive use of junior jokes. If Lister had pointed the time gadget at Cap Hollister one more time I would have...hulked out!

Although Kochanski's line was very funny. About her only funny line in the whole of Red Dwarf - poor Chloe was given some shocking material at times!

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

poor Chloe was given some shocking material at times!

I don't think they could ever quite make up their mind what purpose Kochanski served as a regular cast member.

Romantic interest?
Romantic tension but no romance?
Foil for Lister?
Foil for Kryten?
Foil for Rimmer?
Female role model?
The intelligent, rational female keeping it all together, kind of an RD Ripley with jokes....

She could have been any one of these things, but never all of these things.

In the end, she was just 'there' and as a result, the character never really worked, never really added anything to the show. And I want to be clear that I do not, under any circumstances, consider this to be Chloe's fault.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

One Spare Part
Something changed between the last series and this one. We all agree that she was hardly given anything decent to say BUT there is a definite change in this series. Chloe does not appear to be shockingly bad as Kochanski as she seemed in the previous. Material is just as poor, she is not a bad actor, so...?

trevor travis
One Spare Part wrote:

Something changed between the last series and this one. We all agree that she was hardly given anything decent to say BUT there is a definite change in this series. Chloe does not appear to be shockingly bad as Kochanski as she seemed in the previous. Material is just as poor, she is not a bad actor, so...?

The biggest relief is the dropping of Kryten's jealously towards her, which was very annoying indeed. Kryten seemed to be on his way to a metal breakdown in Season 7 (see what I did there Wink ).

Elsewhere, there was a thread discussing whether B7 was 2+2 or 3+1.

I'd say Red Dwarf so far has been 2+3+1+1+1 and the last two have been particularly large, so maybe we should illustrate it as 2+3+1...1...1.

Season 7 was very different to anything that came before, while Season 8 is also very different to anything that came before including Season 7. As a B7 fan, it makes me appreciate how soft the soft reboots actually were and at least B7 feels like the same show all the way through.

As he as been commented, for Red Dwarf, at times it seems to be we're watching an utterly different show.

We've gone to alone in the universe to how-we-can-annoy-the-captain-this-week. I can still enjoy it, but in a different way. Cassandra was a very clever episode, while Krytie TV was huge juvenile fun.

sweevo
JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

I don't think they could ever quite make up their mind what purpose Kochanski served as a regular cast member.

Romantic interest?
Foil for Lister?
Foil for Kryten?
Foil for Rimmer?
Female role model?
The intelligent, rational female keeping it all together, kind of an RD Ripley with jokes....

In the end, she was just 'there' and as a result, the character never really worked, never really added anything to the show. And I want to be clear that I do not, under any circumstances, consider this to be Chloe's fault.

Season 7 had Kochanski serve a purpose, albeit a trivial one - to be the "straight gal" for Lister, Kryten and Cat. However, since the character didn't have much of a personality beyond being Lister's ex, she essentially was written to become the new Rimmer. Season 8, however... she's redundant now that Rimmer's back. RD 8 is a complete mess, comedically, narratively and logically - crap from top to bottom (save for 2 episodes - Krytie TV and Cassandra).

trevor travis
sweevo wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Romantic interest?
Foil for Lister?
Foil for Kryten?
Foil for Rimmer?
Female role model?

Season 7 had Kochanski serve a purpose, albeit a trivial one - to be the "straight gal" for Lister, Kryten and Cat. However, since the character didn't have much of a personality beyond being Lister's ex, she essentially was written to become the new Rimmer. Season 8, however... she's redundant now that Rimmer's back. RD 8 is a complete mess, comedically, narratively and logically - crap from top to bottom (save for 2 episodes - Krytie TV and Cassandra).

Except, in Season 7, I would say it's Kryten who takes over from Rimmer, in becoming the neurotic mess that Rimmer was, but without any of Rimmer's pathos.

Those episodes without Chris Barrie were painful at times. You appreciate how much Barrie was putting into the character of Rimmer, even when Grant and Naylor started writing Rimmer as far less of a real person, when he's not there at all. It did leave a major gaping hole without IMO the best actor in the show.

Season 8 plugs that, but has issues elsewhere. The multiple-part stories are problematic in places to say the least. But I do find myself laughing much more the Season 8 than in Season 7, where some episodes seemed to be completely devoid of any gags.

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Romantic interest?
Foil for Lister?
Foil for Kryten?
Foil for Rimmer?
Female role model?

Yes, agreed, definitely not her fault. I really thought she was good in Crime Traveller, which went out just as Season 7 was finishing.

One Spare Part
trevor travis wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Romantic interest?
Foil for Lister?
Foil for Kryten?
Foil for Rimmer?
Female role model?

Yes, agreed, definitely not her fault. I really thought she was good in Crime Traveller, which went out just as Season 7 was finishing.

Totally agree, guys. I loved her in Crime Traveller so much, I would have been looking out for new shows in which she appeared... Whatever did happen to her?

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.49 seconds
28,911,855 unique visits since 8th January 2014