Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

 Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Men At Arms - 17th Sept 2020
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Burgeoning is a good word. Yes, Pratchett does a lot of thinkiing things through and working out details. The sort of thing that was so lacking with for example Cally being a telepath. So much they could have done if they'd thought that through

He's good at details, and carrying on the continuity throughout his books.

The problem with the way Cally was written is that she was written by different writers. If that makes sense. After her (literal) kick-ass introduction, her telepathy becomes a liability (The Web ) and subsequently mostly ignored unless it served a particular plot.
Edited by Travisina on 17 September 2020 19:29:16
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

My favourite quote this time: 'personal is not the same as important' but spoiler alert that comes near the end.

Many more examples of brilliant names for the characters.

They're great.
Envious sigh - I struggle so hard to find names for characters in my ficlets. I've got a longish Jenna story that's been languishing unfinished for YEARS cos I can't find a suitable name for one of the main characters (apart from Jenna).


Is it someone nice or nasty?
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Burgeoning is a good word. Yes, Pratchett does a lot of thinkiing things through and working out details. The sort of thing that was so lacking with for example Cally being a telepath. So much they could have done if they'd thought that through

He's good at details, and carrying on the continuity throughout his books.

The problem with the way Cally was written is that she was written by different writers. If that makes sense. After her (literal) kick-ass introduction, her telepathy becomes a liability (The Web ) and subsequently mostly ignored unless it served a particular plot.


Not an acceptable excuse!
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

My favourite quote this time: 'personal is not the same as important' but spoiler alert that comes near the end.

Many more examples of brilliant names for the characters.

They're great.
Envious sigh - I struggle so hard to find names for characters in my ficlets. I've got a longish Jenna story that's been languishing unfinished for YEARS cos I can't find a suitable name for one of the main characters (apart from Jenna).


Is it someone nice or nasty?

Nice. Troubled. Techy-geeky. Past trauma has left him with a stammer.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Burgeoning is a good word. Yes, Pratchett does a lot of thinkiing things through and working out details. The sort of thing that was so lacking with for example Cally being a telepath. So much they could have done if they'd thought that through

He's good at details, and carrying on the continuity throughout his books.

The problem with the way Cally was written is that she was written by different writers. If that makes sense. After her (literal) kick-ass introduction, her telepathy becomes a liability (The Web ) and subsequently mostly ignored unless it served a particular plot.


Not an acceptable excuse!

True - Chris Boucher, as script editor, should have ensured more consistency in her character.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
Still no Stormy?
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Still no Stormy?

I can't see her :-(
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
Definitely not the same without her!
Writing is such a tricky thing. It looks as if it ought to be easy, just putting words together, like talking, but you almost have to know the end from the beginning, or at least a direction, and then go back and fill in the gaps, and then notice the missing bits.....
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Definitely not the same without her!
Writing is such a tricky thing. It looks as if it ought to be easy, just putting words together, like talking, but you almost have to know the end from the beginning, or at least a direction, and then go back and fill in the gaps, and then notice the missing bits.....

Writing is VERY tricky! Wonderful, enjoyable - sometimes satisfying - but not easy, even when things are flowing well.

During furlough I've done several free online writing courses - which I've loved doing, but it's almost a form of procrastinating actually producing any ficlets. I have got an idea for this month, just need to get on and write the darn thing.

It's not the same here without Stormy. Shall we pause and re-convene next week?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
OK, let's call it a night, then. Maybe we'll all be on the same page by then. Thanks for being there. Hope the job-hunting is productive.
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

OK, let's call it a night, then. Maybe we'll all be on the same page by then. Thanks for being there. Hope the job-hunting is productive.


I've just seen that next Thursday night I've got a Zoom booked for 8pm. Would you be okay for Friday night, same time?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

OK, let's call it a night, then. Maybe we'll all be on the same page by then. Thanks for being there. Hope the job-hunting is productive.


I've just seen that next Thursday night I've got a Zoom booked for 8pm. Would you be okay for Friday night, same time?

For you, anything my dear. Please let Stormy know!
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

OK, let's call it a night, then. Maybe we'll all be on the same page by then. Thanks for being there. Hope the job-hunting is productive.


I've just seen that next Thursday night I've got a Zoom booked for 8pm. Would you be okay for Friday night, same time?

For you, anything my dear. Please let Stormy know!

Will do. I'll put it on the Roundup, too.

Have a good weekend yourself!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
stormypetrel
Sorry, my phone went! Friend wanting to discuss correct interpretation of our new rules... which naturally took some time (and much cursing).
 
stormypetrel
Next Friday is fine, btw. Apologies for abandoning you both tonight.
 
Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Next Friday is fine, btw. Apologies for abandoning you both tonight.

No probs!
So that's Friday 25th Sept, 7.45pm.
By which time I'll have finished reading the book and will be able to discuss properly Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
Travisina
Good evening!

Are we reconvening for this chat?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
stormypetrel
Im here!
 
Travisina

Hi Stormy! Is all well?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
OK, I'm back. My PC decided to update itself when I was trying to log in. Sorry .
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.69 seconds
28,983,083 unique visits since 8th January 2014