Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 1
Lorna

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Witches Abroad - 27th Aug 2020
stormypetrel
Saint? I typed ‘said’!

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I wonder if other nationalities understand the 'Brits Abroad' references in the book (the one we're supposed to be discussing) like the Pidgin French and the food thing.

Following on from that, I wonder how many other languages the Discworld books have been translated into, and how much has been lost in translation?

When I was at university (in Jerusalem), I amused myself by attempting to translate Hitchhikers Guide into Hebrew. The Vogon poetry was surprisingly easy, but I came unstuck with phrases like 'Amazingly amazing', for which I could find no translation.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Saint? I typed ‘said’!

I love the idea of Saint Pidgin!
I hereby delcare 27th August to be Saint Pidgin's Day.

M1795537 OC Virn
stormypetrel wrote:

We’re not really discussing Pratchett, are we? More life and the universe...

But I bet other nationalities who’ve been on the receiving end of saint pidgin French etc recognise it!

Well then the answer is 42.
You're not sulking, I hope?

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Saint? I typed ‘said’!

I love the idea of Saint Pidgin!
I hereby delcare 27th August to be Saint Pidgin's Day.

GrinGrin

M1795537 OC Virn
My brother had to do a lot of his work in Pidgin. Apparently a piano is a 'you hit him, he cry' in Papua New Guinea. A difficult language to be specific in - a 'stick' could mean anything from a match to a telegraph pole. But well done for trying, Jackie!

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

My brother had to do a lot of his work in Pidgin. Apparently a piano is a 'you hit him, he cry' in Papua New Guinea. A difficult language to be specific in - a 'stick' could mean anything from a match to a telegraph pole. But well done for trying, Jackie!

I like the piano! Although that could equally describe the boy in my class at school who called my dog ugly...

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Thank you! Grin
It was a lot of fun, even though I didn't actually get anywhere.

One of the most impressive things I've seen is Shakespeare translated into Hebrew, where not only does the translation work, it kept the iambic pentameter.

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I like the piano! Although that could equally describe the boy in my class at school who called my dog ugly...

GrinGrin

Travisina
Okay, peeps - I need to sign off now.

I may post more comments on this thread once I finish the book. Any suggestions for our next one?

stormypetrel
Yes, I’ve got stuff to finish off too. Dunno about the next one. One of you choose. I picked this time.

M1795537 OC Virn
Anyway, back to Pratchett..... what did we think of the story as a whole ( given that you haven't finished it yet)?

M1795537 OC Virn
Maybe next time. Do we need a next time? Or is life getting too busy for these evening chats?

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Anyway, back to Pratchett..... what did we think of the story as a whole ( given that you haven't finished it yet)?

So far, I'm liking it. I'll come back to this thread in a couple of days, once I finish the whole thing.

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Not bad.

M1795537 OC Virn
I'll take that as a definite 'maybe'. We're leaving it to you, Jackie!

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Maybe next time. Do we need a next time? Or is life getting too busy for these evening chats?

I'd like a next time, if you're up for it? I enjoy these chats.

Would Virny like to suggest the next book?

stormypetrel
Yes, let’s have a next time. If it’s all right with you two.

Travisina
Okay, we're having a next time... how's 17th September?

Travisina
Ooh, I seem to be alone...

In that case, I unilaterally decree that Next Time shall be 17th September, and in the absence of any other suggestions, I fancy a return to the City Watch.

Are you both okay for 'Men At Arms'?

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.68 seconds
28,914,020 unique visits since 8th January 2014