Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Things you liked about Season 4
President Solvite
Noticed a lot of dissing of the Traitor episode. (not just here but elsewhere)

This has always puzzled me as I think it brings a lot to the season. Everything from the banter between the officers, an insight to how the resistance tried to engage a vastly superior foe. Some additional insight about how the Federation treats its citizens etc.. etc.. The knocking of the episode in my view might be attributable to the fact that Avon doesn't get to do much which seems to irk some Avon fans. The opportunity to let other characters shine is a good thing as Dayna gets very little to do in Season D apart from continually sniping at Vila. And Tarrant being little more than a yes man to Avon. (losing all of his potential demonstrated at the outset of C) In my view B7 is about the sum of the whole rather than any specific part. Avon included.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
prosperoproject
It is nice to see that opinion on Season D is as strong as ever...Happy

It is my favourite season and to me, at least, it is the logical progression of the crews plight post-Terminal.

No longer masters of the legendary Liberator, fighting to strengthen their woefully weak hand, always half a beat from success. They now have a base, but don't have the support or strength of numbers to grow the rebellion.

I love the scruffy old bucket of bolts - it is the perfect contrast to Liberator.

I love Season D - it is the inevitable consequence of the rebellion not capitalising on the Galactic War and emblematic of the last spluttering of a failing rebellion.

Most of all, I adore Season D for teaching me as a 10 year old in 1981, that no matter how much you want them to, the good guys don't always win.

Travisina
President Solvite wrote:

This has always puzzled me as I think it brings a lot to the season. Everything from the banter between the officers, an insight to how the resistance tried to engage a vastly superior foe. Some additional insight about how the Federation treats its citizens etc.. etc.. The knocking of the episode in my view might be attributable to the fact that Avon doesn't get to do much which seems to irk some Avon fans. The opportunity to let other characters shine is a good thing as Dayna gets very little to do in Season D apart from continually sniping at Vila. And Tarrant being little more than a yes man to Avon. (losing all of his potential demonstrated at the outset of C) In my view B7 is about the sum of the whole rather than any specific part. Avon included.

I agree - I think Traitor is a really good episode. Technically, it's got some of the best location work - fight scenes that feel more real because they were shot on film and properly edited together, rather than multi-camera vision-mixed in studio. Interesting characters on both sides of the Rebels - v - Federation divide. An insight into the machinations of the post-Galactic War Federation. The setting up of the story arc that resurfaces in Warlord. For me, the only thing that lets it down is Sleer's awful costume and make-up - how they managed to make the beautiful Jacqueline look so dreadful is a mystery. Oh, and Tarrant and Dayna's change of outfits between the surface of Helotrix and Scorpio! But other than that - top episode, and definitely one of my faves of Series Derek.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Frankymole
President Solvite wrote:

This has always puzzled me as I think it brings a lot to the season. Everything from the banter between the officers, an insight to how the resistance tried to engage a vastly superior foe. Some additional insight about how the Federation treats its citizens etc.. etc.. The knocking of the episode in my view might be attributable to the fact that Avon doesn't get to do much which seems to irk some Avon fans.
Not in my case - or maybe I'm not an Avon fan? I like him but he gets plenty to do, so it's nice to see Dayna and Tarrant getting something to do on their own for a change. But Traitor feels very cheap (the city "concourse" is a couple of pot plants and a backdrop, in what looks like a wilderness setting) and the acting from the non-regulars, and the direction, is lacklustre. It also lacks Robert Holmes's customary black humour, or indeed any humour at all.

There's no real drama to it, either. Everything's thuddingly obvious and dull, and reiterated countless times for the hard-of-thinking (talking down to the audience).

Oh, and the dreadfully camp costumes - Colonel Quute's decorated eyepatch makes me laugh like Krantor did at Travis.
Edited by Frankymole on 13 June 2014 18:18:22

prosperoproject
Travisina wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

I agree - I think Traitor is a really good episode. Technically, it's got some of the best location work - fight scenes that feel more real because they were shot on film and properly edited together, rather than multi-camera vision-mixed in studio. Interesting characters on both sides of the Rebels - v - Federation divide. An insight into the machinations of the post-Galactic War Federation. The setting up of the story arc that resurfaces in Warlord. For me, the only thing that lets it down is Sleer's awful costume and make-up - how they managed to make the beautiful Jacqueline look so dreadful is a mystery. Oh, and Tarrant and Dayna's change of outfits between the surface of Helotrix and Scorpio! But other than that - top episode, and definitely one of my faves of Series Derek.

Gets my vote too - classic Robert Holmes and the first indication that the Federation are on the march once more. Mix in the wonderful Forbis, pylene 50, and the great scale of the fight scenes and you have a great story.

Frankymole
JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Derek ... has only one major cast change from the previous season

Not if you count Zen and Libby as major characters.
To be fair, the cast doesn't change there - it's still Peter Tuddenham playing the ship's computer!

prosperoproject
Frankymole wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

This has always puzzled me as I think it brings a lot to the season. Everything from the banter between the officers, an insight to how the resistance tried to engage a vastly superior foe. Some additional insight about how the Federation treats its citizens etc.. etc.. The knocking of the episode in my view might be attributable to the fact that Avon doesn't get to do much which seems to irk some Avon fans.
Not in my case - or maybe I'm not an Avon fan? I like him but he gets plenty to do, so it's nice to see Dayna and Tarrant getting something to do on their own for a change. But Traitor feels very cheap (the city "concourse" is a couple of pot plants and a backdrop, in what looks like a wilderness setting) and the acting from the non-regulars, and the direction, is lacklustre. It also lacks Robert Holmes's customary black humour, or indeed any humour at all.

There's no real drama to it, either. Everything's thuddingly obvious and dull, and reiterated countless times for the hard-of-thinking (talking down to the audience).

Oh, and the dreadfully camp costumes - Colonel Quute's decorated eyepatch makes me laugh like Krantor did at Travis.

As always it comes down to personal taste and certain aspects will appeal to some and not to others - I think the Federation uniforms in Season D are quite possibly the campest they've ever been - but then they did have to compete against Commissioner Sleer for screen time. Wink

briggsy1
The thing I like about Traitor is that the Federation characters are properly fleshed out , not bland ciphers, with believable motivations. I n other words, people you can actually identify and empathise with & not just pantomime, knock-down villains. Similarly, in other series D episodes especially Sand - where we get to see what Reeve and Chasgow think of each other.

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

The nature of the show changes as well. S1-S3 bears many similarities to the Robin Hood saga, an intrepid band of outlaws hiding among the stars (rather than the trees) to fight the evil Federation (rather than the evil Normans).

S4 has more in common with a 1960's western: The intrepid band of outlaws hiding in a secret location, venturing out to fight the corrupt Commissioner (rather than the corrupt marshall).

Brad, but I said cast change. Peter Tuddenham does not leave at the end of Colin.

I can't really see any analogy between Robin Hood and Colin either. In which episode of Colin does Avon take the fight to the Federation? If anything, Colin is the odd one out (but a glorious one odd out, my favourite season), and Derek completes the circlesand takes us back to Albert and Barney. Of course, there are some differences along the way, but Derek ends with Avon forming his own Rebel Alliance.

GoldChannel
re: Traitor, i really love the video effects of the pacifying laser gun, and the fantastic scene where a mysterious 'someone' frazzles the portrait of Servalan ((i never even knew she posed for Warhol!))

magnificat
One of the things that stuck in my mind about S.4 was Avon's reaction at the end of Warlord; found his apparent amusement at Zeeona(sp?)'s demise quite unsettling.

JustBrad
magnificat wrote:

One of the things that stuck in my mind about S.4 was Avon's reaction at the end of Warlord; found his apparent amusement at Zeeona(sp?)'s demise quite unsettling.

Not sure it was amusement. I'm not sure what to make of that half smile, except to point to it as further evidence that the Avon we know at the end of S4 is NOT the same Avon we know at the end of S2....

... As Blake found out...

littlesue
JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

The nature of the show changes as well. S1-S3 bears many similarities to the Robin Hood saga, an intrepid band of outlaws hiding among the stars (rather than the trees) to fight the evil Federation (rather than the evil Normans).

Please note, not all Normans are evil; my hubby is the nicest Norman you'll ever meet...I rest my case m'lud!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

President Solvite
'Evil Normans' maybe not, they are just blindly following orders. We certainly have more examples of corruption than benign elements simply caught up in the system.

'Re: Season C'
The Harvest of Kairos (effectively robbing a merchant train) and Deathwatch causing potential discord amongst outlying systems does reflect certain Robin Hood (and indeed western elements)

President Solvite
prosperoproject wrote:

Frankymole wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

As always it comes down to personal taste and certain aspects will appeal to some and not to others - I think the Federation uniforms in Season D are quite possibly the campest they've ever been - but then they did have to compete against Commissioner Sleer for screen time. Wink

Well I agree the concourse set is nothing great, but if we're going to mock and dislike B7 for its lack of effects and sets, we'll be on a hiding to nowhere! Season D had much greater time pressures than the former as I recall.

Instead we focus on the characters, the desperation of the rebel columns as they fight a seemingly unstoppable foe. To counter the concourse scene we have the excellent shooting of the battle where Hundar's team wipe out a 'sepoy squad'. In my mind this is a return to B7's purer self than stupid stories of old loves, padding episodes like Power and Games (although I do enjoy a few moments in the latter)

Re the 'camp costumes' I believe we are looking at dress uniforms in the 'Colonial Command'.. These outfits are usually fairly excessive and camp looking. Check out any UK royal event, or Greece or Italy etc.. In any case I think they look pretty good in my opinion, and not that camp if you think about it in that context.

The weakest bit in Traitor in my view is the unconvincing return of Sleer.. In my opinion she never should have returned OR it should have a more credible reason for her escape than using 'magic'. I listen from interviews from CB about how directors would ask CB to pad an episode out, as it initially appeared that the running time is too short. Whereas in fact once things progress the episode runs too long, and the Director rather than cutting the padded scene cuts the critical one that makes more sense and indeed adds extra drama to the series. CB referred to this in several times in interviews and I suspect this happened a lot in B7's final season due to time constraints and the relatively late start time for 'D'. This I think accounts for much of the perceived weaknesses in D
Edited by President Solvite on 14 June 2014 10:54:36

Spaceship Dispatcher
President Solvite wrote:

In my mind this is a return to B7's purer self than stupid stories of old loves...

Rumours of Death was a fantastic episode!!! Angry
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

President Solvite
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

In my mind this is a return to B7's purer self than stupid stories of old loves...

Indeed it was but Animals isn't..

Spaceship Dispatcher
President Solvite wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

Indeed it was but Animals isn't..

That's true Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

peladon
JustBrad wrote:

peladon wrote:

[quote]blencathra wrote:

Things I like -

Character development - particularly Avon's descent into paranoia and madness.
/quote]

Your evidence for that statement being?????

Gold.. Orbit...Warlord... Blake

None of them paranoid, none of them mad. (All of them a different man of courseWink)

In fact I'd have used Warlord as an indication that he is neither mad nor paranoid. Its the closest he comes to being Avon in the whole series. But even then its not that close.

As far 'Blake', is concerned if you pull your mind away from the last scenes then he is pretty much doing the necessary for all of the episode - criminally careless and sloppy yes ( but so are the rest of them) but quite sane.

peladon
rojkerr1 wrote:

Watch his laugh at the end of Gold..., and he did happen to kill Blake when if he'd thought for one second about what he knew of the man, he would have known Tarrant was mistaken

Well its a silly laugh I'll grant you,and not something Avon would have done, but its not mad. An edge of hysteria? Perhaps, but more the bitter laugh of a man who realises what he's lost. Avon of course would never have lost in that way because he wouldnt have made those mistakes ( he been caught embezzling from a bank for heavens sake !!!!) - but there you go.... S4

He might have lost it in other way ofcourseGrin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.67 seconds
9,169,803 unique visits since 8th January 2014