Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Thief of Time - 6th Aug 2020
Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

There's a lot to like about it - the writing is beautiful and evocative, great descriptions, often with a wry twist or footnote. I'm not sure I understood everything (the Mandala, the Procrastinator thingies), but I could go along with it.

Pratchett was good at 'wry'. Procrastinators ( brilliant idea) - did anyone else feel like he had to add to his original idea of them, because the story needed it? Rather than him having thought the whole thing through first.

Possibly. The whole 'using chocolate to defeat the bad guys' thing came quite late in the story - possibly should have been seeded earlier?
It got so... hectic toward the end, with Death & the Band against the auditors, Susan and Lobsang dealing with the clock, Lao Tse doing a Yeti reincarnation thing.

Maybe it should have been a thicker book.

Or a simpler story?

I found a 2004 BBC radio drama adaptation of 'Mort' on iPlayer - here, if you're interested - https://www.bbc.c...d/b03mz1wb. Interesting to compare.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

There's a lot to like about it - the writing is beautiful and evocative, great descriptions, often with a wry twist or footnote. I'm not sure I understood everything (the Mandala, the Procrastinator thingies), but I could go along with it.

Pratchett was good at 'wry'. Procrastinators ( brilliant idea) - did anyone else feel like he had to add to his original idea of them, because the story needed it? Rather than him having thought the whole thing through first.

Possibly. The whole 'using chocolate to defeat the bad guys' thing came quite late in the story - possibly should have been seeded earlier?
It got so... hectic toward the end, with Death & the Band against the auditors, Susan and Lobsang dealing with the clock, Lao Tse doing a Yeti reincarnation thing.

I often get the impression Pratchett has been thinking of ways to sneak in things he thought up ages ago. I don't mind it here, but it's certainly 'busy'.

And sneaking them in while he still had the chance to do so, yeah, maybe. If only he'd been spared the curse of early dementia, and was still calmly turning out a book or two every year, he could have allowed his ideas more space.

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I often get the impression Pratchett has been thinking of ways to sneak in things he thought up ages ago. I don't mind it here, but it's certainly 'busy'.

Itís difficult sometimes. I know when Iím writing I sometimes have to go back and take bits out to keep for my own enjoyment, because they end up detracting from the overall story where Iíve tried to put too much in.

stormypetrel
Are we still here?

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:
Itís difficult sometimes. I know when Iím writing I sometimes have to go back and take bits out to keep for my own enjoyment, because they end up detracting from the overall story where Iíve tried to put too much in.

Happens to me all the time. I haul out the stuff that's getting in the way, and file it for use elsewhere.

Sometimes, though, there isn't an 'elsewhere'. I edited 7 eps of 'Shameless', back in the day. If you watched it, do you remember the character Marty, who had Tourettes? In one of my eps, he gets a job at a railway station as the person who announces train arrivals and departures. With predictable consequences... It was a self-contained, very funny scene.
Anyway, it didn't work at the point in the script it was written. So the director and I moved it up and down the episode, trying to find a place for it where it wouldn't interrupt the flow of the main storyline. And in the end, sadly, we had to cut it out completely, because it just didn't work anywhere. I wonder if it ever turned up as a deleted scene on the DVD extras?

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Are we still here?

I'm here. Sorry, I was writing a long reply!

Travisina
Have we lost M...Virn?

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Happens to me all the time. I haul out the stuff that's getting in the way, and file it for use elsewhere.

Sometimes, though, there isn't an 'elsewhere'. I edited 7 eps of 'Shameless', back in the day. If you watched it, do you remember the character Marty, who had Tourettes? In one of my eps, he gets a job at a railway station as the person who announces train arrivals and departures. With predictable consequences... It was a self-contained, very funny scene.
Anyway, it didn't work at the point in the script it was written. So the director and I moved it up and down the episode, trying to find a place for it where it wouldn't interrupt the flow of the main storyline. And in the end, sadly, we had to cut it out completely, because it just didn't work anywhere. I wonder if it ever turned up as a deleted scene on the DVD extras?

I never saw it. If my parents didnít watch something, neither did I... but I can imagine that would be quite funny!

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

Have we lost M...Virn?

Looks like it.

M1795537 OC Virn
I found some of his last books a bit formulaic..establish a few storylines running alongside each other, build it all up to a big fight/whatever and then everything sorts itelf out.
You're not sulking, I hope?

M1795537 OC Virn
Not lost, but also trying to type with a pc that has developed a mind of its own. Sorry

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I found some of his last books a bit formulaic..establish a few storylines running alongside each other, build it all up to a big fight/whatever and then everything sorts itelf out.

This one felt a bit like that, but I havenít read enough to compare. Mind you, the same could be said for a few authors. Sharpe, anyone?

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Not lost, but also trying to type with a pc that has developed a mind of its own. Sorry

Youíre all right, Iím trying to type while answering questions about spoons!

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Do you still have it??? Sounds great

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

This one felt a bit like that, but I havenít read enough to compare. Mind you, the same could be said for a few authors. Sharpe, anyone?

Lee Child, definitely. His early Jack Reachers are gripping to the point of keeping me up at night and forgetting to eat. More recently they feel formulaic, predictable and (dare I say it?) dull. Last I heard he'd actually handed over the reins to his brother to keep the franchise going.

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Ask me a question about spoons, I'm intrigued!

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Do you still have it??? Sounds great

Sadly, no.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Well, itís the wooden spoon round...

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Well, itís the wooden spoon round...

What's that?

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Lee Child, definitely. His early Jack Reachers are gripping to the point of keeping me up at night and forgetting to eat. More recently they feel formulaic, predictable and (dare I say it?) dull. Last I heard he'd actually handed over the reins to his brother to keep the franchise going.

Sad and probably predictable I suppose when people get stuck with having to re-hash the same things. Keeps the money coming in, maybe.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.55 seconds
28,982,282 unique visits since 8th January 2014