Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,249
· Newest Rebel: Teleport

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

 Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Thief of Time - 6th Aug 2020
Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

What did we think of 'Thief of Time?'

It was all right, but a bit harder going than some of the others.

It was very densely packed. Lots of characters, lots of different storylines, tons of philosophical ideas.
This is very much a later Pratchett - 2001 - and uses characters introduced over several story arcs, eg Susan, Quoth and Death of Rats.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
stormypetrel
The constant ‘tick’ got to me, too. I kept expecting the ‘tock’ and it never came.
 
Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Why is everyone so down on chocolate fireguards? Or teapots? No scruples about eating them. Cheating is expected, isn't it?

But the chocolate would go all speckly. Which admittedly wouldn’t stop me eating it.


Thanks to lockdown, we still haven't had our family Easter Egg hunt yet. The eggs are here waiting ( I haven't pinched even one) but if we don't eat them, they may well go all speckly, just as you say. Mind you, we once had to postpone the hunt to October, so maybe they'll be OK.

Speckled eggs are a thing though. Just claim it’s the chocolate equivalent.

Will speckled choc eggs hatch into speckled Easter Bunnies?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
I agree the book is a bit harder to keep track of in some ways. But Lobsang is a brilliant character.
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

The constant ‘tick’ got to me, too. I kept expecting the ‘tock’ and it never came.

That never occurred to me!

Had Pratchett already been diagnosed with dementia at this point? It felt like he was trying to cram EVERYTHING into this story while he still could.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
I think you had to add your own 'tock'. Whether or not he'd been diagnosed, I think he sensed there was something wrong.
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I agree the book is a bit harder to keep track of in some ways. But Lobsang is a brilliant character.

It's full of brilliant characters - and the parallel stories do dovetail in the end (eg Nanny Ogg being called to midwifery at different points in her life).

Pratchett's spin on Lao Tzu and 'The Way' is genius. The Fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse (who left before the others became famous) made me laugh out loud - but the serious aspect, ie Kaos / Chaos is clever.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

The constant ‘tick’ got to me, too. I kept expecting the ‘tock’ and it never came.

That never occurred to me!

Had Pratchett already been diagnosed with dementia at this point? It felt like he was trying to cram EVERYTHING into this story while he still could.

It did, a bit. But it wasn’t bad, just... harder to concentrate on?
 
M1795537 OC Virn
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

The constant ‘tick’ got to me, too. I kept expecting the ‘tock’ and it never came.

That never occurred to me!

Had Pratchett already been diagnosed with dementia at this point? It felt like he was trying to cram EVERYTHING into this story while he still could.

It did, a bit. But it wasn’t bad, just... harder to concentrate on?


Yeah, there's more going on... more balls to keep in the air, as it were.
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

The constant ‘tick’ got to me, too. I kept expecting the ‘tock’ and it never came.

That never occurred to me!

Had Pratchett already been diagnosed with dementia at this point? It felt like he was trying to cram EVERYTHING into this story while he still could.

It did, a bit. But it wasn’t bad, just... harder to concentrate on?


Yeah, there's more going on... more balls to keep in the air, as it were.

Yes, that.
I like the Death of Rats.
 
Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

The constant ‘tick’ got to me, too. I kept expecting the ‘tock’ and it never came.

That never occurred to me!

Had Pratchett already been diagnosed with dementia at this point? It felt like he was trying to cram EVERYTHING into this story while he still could.

It did, a bit. But it wasn’t bad, just... harder to concentrate on?

There's a lot to like about it - the writing is beautiful and evocative, great descriptions, often with a wry twist or footnote. I'm not sure I understood everything (the Mandala, the Procrastinator thingies), but I could go along with it.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

The constant ‘tick’ got to me, too. I kept expecting the ‘tock’ and it never came.

That never occurred to me!

Had Pratchett already been diagnosed with dementia at this point? It felt like he was trying to cram EVERYTHING into this story while he still could.

It did, a bit. But it wasn’t bad, just... harder to concentrate on?

There's a lot to like about it - the writing is beautiful and evocative, great descriptions, often with a wry twist or footnote. I'm not sure I understood everything (the Mandala, the Procrastinator thingies), but I could go along with it.

I’m sure I didn’t understand everything!
 
Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

I like the Death of Rats.

Can't remember which book he's introduced in. There are several in the Death story arc (including Susan's origins).

I like the idea of the Igors (again, can't remember where they're first introduced - possibly 'Feet of Clay' ?) - but I found the constant phonetic rendering of his lisp in the dialogue irritating. I'm a fast reader, can usually take in a line or two at a time, but this slowed me down because I had to read every word of the Igor dialogue to figure out what he was saying.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
There's a lot to like about it - the writing is beautiful and evocative, great descriptions, often with a wry twist or footnote. I'm not sure I understood everything (the Mandala, the Procrastinator thingies), but I could go along with it.[/quote]

Pratchett was good at 'wry'. Procrastinators ( brilliant idea) - did anyone else feel like he had to add to his original idea of them, because the story needed it? Rather than him having thought the whole thing through first.
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I like the Death of Rats.

Can't remember which book he's introduced in. There are several in the Death story arc (including Susan's origins).

I like the idea of the Igors (again, can't remember where they're first introduced - possibly 'Feet of Clay' ?) - but I found the constant phonetic rendering of his lisp in the dialogue irritating. I'm a fast reader, can usually take in a line or two at a time, but this slowed me down because I had to read every word of the Igor dialogue to figure out what he was saying.


'thoeth' took me a while!
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I like the Death of Rats.

Can't remember which book he's introduced in. There are several in the Death story arc (including Susan's origins).

I like the idea of the Igors (again, can't remember where they're first introduced - possibly 'Feet of Clay' ?) - but I found the constant phonetic rendering of his lisp in the dialogue irritating. I'm a fast reader, can usually take in a line or two at a time, but this slowed me down because I had to read every word of the Igor dialogue to figure out what he was saying.


'thoeth' took me a while!

Translating Igorish is a skill in itself!
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

There's a lot to like about it - the writing is beautiful and evocative, great descriptions, often with a wry twist or footnote. I'm not sure I understood everything (the Mandala, the Procrastinator thingies), but I could go along with it.


Pratchett was good at 'wry'. Procrastinators ( brilliant idea) - did anyone else feel like he had to add to his original idea of them, because the story needed it? Rather than him having thought the whole thing through first.

Possibly. The whole 'using chocolate to defeat the bad guys' thing came quite late in the story - possibly should have been seeded earlier?
It got so... hectic toward the end, with Death & the Band against the auditors, Susan and Lobsang dealing with the clock, Lao Tse doing a Yeti reincarnation thing.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I like the Death of Rats.

Can't remember which book he's introduced in. There are several in the Death story arc (including Susan's origins).

I like the idea of the Igors (again, can't remember where they're first introduced - possibly 'Feet of Clay' ?) - but I found the constant phonetic rendering of his lisp in the dialogue irritating. I'm a fast reader, can usually take in a line or two at a time, but this slowed me down because I had to read every word of the Igor dialogue to figure out what he was saying.


'thoeth' took me a while!

I had to read it aloud!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

There's a lot to like about it - the writing is beautiful and evocative, great descriptions, often with a wry twist or footnote. I'm not sure I understood everything (the Mandala, the Procrastinator thingies), but I could go along with it.


Pratchett was good at 'wry'. Procrastinators ( brilliant idea) - did anyone else feel like he had to add to his original idea of them, because the story needed it? Rather than him having thought the whole thing through first.

Possibly. The whole 'using chocolate to defeat the bad guys' thing came quite late in the story - possibly should have been seeded earlier?
It got so... hectic toward the end, with Death & the Band against the auditors, Susan and Lobsang dealing with the clock, Lao Tse doing a Yeti reincarnation thing.

Maybe it should have been a thicker book.
 
M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

There's a lot to like about it - the writing is beautiful and evocative, great descriptions, often with a wry twist or footnote. I'm not sure I understood everything (the Mandala, the Procrastinator thingies), but I could go along with it.


Pratchett was good at 'wry'. Procrastinators ( brilliant idea) - did anyone else feel like he had to add to his original idea of them, because the story needed it? Rather than him having thought the whole thing through first.

Possibly. The whole 'using chocolate to defeat the bad guys' thing came quite late in the story - possibly should have been seeded earlier?
It got so... hectic toward the end, with Death & the Band against the auditors, Susan and Lobsang dealing with the clock, Lao Tse doing a Yeti reincarnation thing.


I often get the impression Pratchett has been thinking of ways to sneak in things he thought up ages ago. I don't mind it here, but it's certainly 'busy'.
Edited by M1795537 OC Virn on 06 August 2020 19:32:16
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.68 seconds
29,567,481 unique visits since 8th January 2014