Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,239
· Newest Rebel: SaruwatariKaito

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [39 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 186
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

 Print Thread
July 2020 Ficlet Challenge
Anniew
Robbgenghis that is very funny. Thank you. And welcome to this part of the forum. Really nice to have new talent.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.
 
Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

littlesue wrote:
How do these chaps write so fast? Grin


I wish I knew, cuz then I'd tell George RR Martin how to write fast.

Or write at all, sigh. How long have we been waiting for 'Winds of Winter'?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
Travisina
Fab and funny stories, GanMiniMe and Annie!
StormyP - thanks for your latest installment - please continue!
And an entertaining first ficlet from our newest member! Well done, Robbgenghis Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
GanMiniMe
Hi, Robbgenghis! Nice to have you on board! I enjoyed that, and love how even in the future the first rule of computers still applies. Thanks for posting, looking forward to the next one!
 
Joe Dredd
The Sour Grapes of Wrath

Avon stood over the body of Blake, surrounded by troopers.

He raised his blaster rifle. There was a corresponding ripple of guns, as the soldiers trained their aim on him even more intently.

Looking up from the floor, dying, Blake slowly slid his hand into his pocket.

"All life is linked," he gasped. Avon looked down in surprise. "In life, and in death."

With his last ebb of strength, clone Blake pressed down on Imipak.
 
GanMiniMe
Joe Dredd... It was short. It was not sweet. It was brilliant!!
 
BradPaula
I agree. Very good, Joe.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.
 
littlesue
Strangely enough, Hubby has just had some black grapes and he reckons that they are sour...but I didn't get them from Wrath.......
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!


sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/
 
stormypetrel
Cally, finally, was alone. Alone, but not silent. She sighed, trying to block out the latest round of shouting which was penetrating her hiding place. Only one more day, she told herself; one more day before their unexpected and definitely unwelcome quarantine was lifted... not that she could blame the rebels of Alba for confining them when they had arrived in the middle of a wargpox epidemic. Especially not when they had, in fact, imported three more cases as the result of an ill-judged stop at one of the neighbouring planets.

There was a clatter from somewhere beyond; Cally winced. If Aurons were immune to wargpox, they were not immune to the effects of living with its victims. ‘Loss of temper’, she thought, should head the list of symptoms... Blake and Avon had practically declared war on one another, and a truce had not accompanied recovery; Jenna was almost as bad, furious at being stuck with the others fighting; and Vila, miraculously free of the purple pustules which had afflicted the others, was doing nothing to help but somehow managing to be as irritating as he possibly could. Even Cally’s attempts to teach them some relaxing exercises had been to no avail. The experience had been anything but relaxing; for Cally, at least.

“I don’t believe it!” That was Jenna. Cally, safely hidden, decided not to investigate whatever unbelievable thing had happened this time. Not one of Avon’s experiments; the lights were still on. And she hadn’t heard any more walls being punched. Probably more due to Blake’s dislike of DIY than any desire not to punch a wall... For one wild moment, the thought of swapping places with Zelda had definite appeal. She didn’t recall signing on to the Liberator’s crew as ‘nursemaid’, but... “Blake, Avon, look at this!”

Vila, then, Cally thought. What had he done this time? He couldn’t have picked any more locks. For one thing, he had already been through every one in the building out of sheer boredom; for another, Cally had confiscated his lockpicks after he had ‘accidentally’ opened the bathroom door while Jenna was in the shower. And nobody would have let him near the kitchen after the last time... Cally still wasn’t sure how you set fire to spaghetti. Although no doubt consuming an entire bottle of wine beforehand, rather than adding it to the sauce as instructed, made it easier.

“You are joking?” It was Blake this time, sounding less than amused.

“Obviously not. Given that this entire situation is down to you...”

“Avon, I hardly arranged this on purpose...”

“Well, that is comforting.”

“Anyway, haven’t you managed to get in contact with Orac yet?”

“I’m working on it.”

“You’ve been working on it for a long time,” put in Jenna pointedly.

“These are hardly ideal working conditions.” Avon sounded as if he was gritting his teeth.

“Well, you’d better make the most of them. Because it looks like we’re going to be stuck here for another fourteen days!”

Cally paused as the implication of Jenna’s last statement sank in; then, reluctantly, she went to see what was happening. Blake, Avon and Jenna stood aside as she entered the room; Vila, sitting on the sofa, looked up at her anxiously.

“Sorry,” he said, as her face dropped at the sight of him. Purple spots... renewed quarantine... The other three were looking murderous. Dismayed, Cally studied them each in turn. Another fourteen days of this, trapped...

There were times she was exceedingly glad of telepathy. You could scream at the top of your voice without disturbing the neighbours.
 
Ellen York
Poor Cally, stuck with that lot. I'm surprised Vila only had one set of lockpicks and also that Jenna didn't stick them someplace unfortunate before Cally had the chance to confiscate them.
 
Travisina
Excellent flash-fic, Joe - neatly done.

StormyP - thanks for the LOL!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
GanMiniMe
I’m not going to lie; I enjoyed writing this...

*****
Tarrant materialised in the teleport bay, gun poised and shoulders tensed. As he took stock of his surroundings he lowered his gun and exhaled. His relief was quickly replaced by anger.

“What the hell happened?” He demanded. “I nearly risked getting shot between the eyes by the best non-Android fighter Vandor has to offer.”
“I’m sorry, Tarrant,” explained Cally. “The switch linked with your bracelet stopped working.”
“Stopped working?” Spluttered Tarrant. “Stopped working? Do you realise that by default I became the new Teal champion after Deeta? They were just about to start the rematch!“
“We know, Tarrant, we were watching it on the vidcast. We got you out as quickly as we could-“
“Another ten seconds and I would have stopped working!”
“You might have beaten him,” said Vila, feebly. Tarrant rounded on him.

“Tarrant,” intervened Avon in a disconcertingly steady voice. “It is down to Vila that you are here at all. He found that there was a loose wire inside the switch and fixed it. I think you owe him quite a lot.”
“That’s easy for you to say,” he retorted hotly. “I can’t see you being so grateful if it had been your switch that had failed. I notice that you teleported back without any trouble. I think you planned for that to happen. You saw an opportunity to get rid of me and you took it.”
“Tarrant...” Avon’s voice was still murderously calm.

“Tarrant, that’s ridiculous!” exclaimed Dayna. “There aren’t many bracelets left and they get used a lot. It’s not surprising if one fails from time to time. We’ve got you now, and we’re on our way out of here. We’re going to check the connections on the other switches to make sure they’re still secure, just in case.”
“I’m still waiting to hear you say it,” said Avon, looking meaningfully at Vila.
Tarrant seemed to have run out of things to say. He gave a grinning Vila a begrudging Thankyou, turned on his heel and marched out, tossing his gun to the floor as he went.

*****

An hour later, Avon finished checking all the other wires on the switches. They were all completely fast, soldered securely into place. Only the one had come loose, and Vila had repaired it well. Avon replaced the panel, and sat back in his chair, considering the one loose wire. He was glad he was alone. For a fleeting second his eyes seemed to narrow, then he allowed himself a smile.

At that same moment Vila, lying on his bed and remembering Tarrant’s bullying and Bayban’s menacing threats, also smiled.
Edited by GanMiniMe on 24 July 2020 17:19:11
 
littlesue
This month’s prompt follows on from April’s little epic……
With a lovely piccie from Lurena (who says he looks so lovely when he’s angry…..)

A Touch of Wrath

“All right, Vila. Where is it?”
Vila opened a bleary eye; trust Avon to interrupt that particular dream at that particular moment…again.
“Where is what?” he asked indignantly.
“That cordless vacuum cleaner.”
“Oh...that! Dunno. Ask one of the girls.”
“I have...and they deny all knowledge as well. Which leaves you. Where is it?”
“Why is it always me who gets the blame? And no, I don’t want a list, thank you.”
“You were the last one to use it.”
“Says who? All right, I used it to make sure there weren’t any of those carnivorous flying things in my cabin…you know, my finger still hurts from the last time.”
“It will be more than your finger…” Avon took a deep breath, “So what did you do with it afterwards?”
“I took it down to the hold…”
“Which hold?”
“Um…number 2….I think.”
The intercom chose that moment to chime.
“Yes,” Avon said angrily.
It was Blake, “Can you get whoever it is, to stop hoovering. I’m trying to get some sleep.”
“Hoovering?”
“Or was it hold number 3?” Vila wondered.

Avon was greeted in the corridor by Jenna and Cally barring his way.
“I wouldn’t go down there if I were you,” Jenna warned.
“Why not?” Avon demanded.
“Well it’s a bit awkward,” Cally put in.
The sound of hoovering reached his ears.
“What the…that’s coming from my cabin!”
“Is it?” Jenna asked sweetly.
“Yes it is, now get out of my way.”
“If you insist…”

Vila was horrified. Hold number 3 was empty.
“Oh no. It can’t be?”

Blake had joined the two women by now.
“What’s all this racket?”
“Avon’s angry…very angry,” Cally informed him.
Blake was puzzled. What on Earth could have incurred Avon’s wrath?
Vila guiltily sidled up.
“All I did was explain what Avon’s gadget was for...”
“Explained to whom?” Blake asked.
“Um…that Robot I found, you know, Robbie. I just said that it’s for hoovering up all sorts of unknown and unidentified organisms that are injurious to humans. I didn’t think…”
“Well think again, Vila, your new friendly robot is cleaning out Avon’s cabin,” Jenna explained.
“Oh no.”
“Oh yes,” Cally murmured, “And it appears to have improved the hoover’s performance greatly.”
The raised voice from the direction of Avon’s cabin was suddenly silent.
The three of them cautiously ventured towards the corridor’s corner.
Avon was sitting on the floor, his much vaunted cordless hoover in pieces…and his teddy covered in dust.
“When I want you to clean out my cabin, I’ll let you know. Is that clear?”
Robbie, suitable chastised, towered over the seated Avon.
“And if I ever find you in here again, it will be more than my wrath that you will feel.” Avon held up a screwdriver, “Do I make myself clear?”
“Affirmative.”
Suddenly aware of his audience, Avon got to his feet, composed himself, placed his teddy inside his jacket and nonchalantly walked past the others to the safety of his cabin.

i.imgur.com/SAtUhpF.jpg
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!


sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/
 
GanMiniMe
Littlesue, that was great! And we saw AVON’S TEDDY BEAR!! Always a treat.

And I love how, in this futuristic saga about hardened criminals, so much mayhem is being caused by a robot with a vacuum cleaner! Thanks for making me laugh, a good start to the weekend!
Edited by GanMiniMe on 27 July 2020 08:55:05
 
Travisina
Excellent stories, GanMiniMe and LittleSue! Love the sublety of GMM's story, and the humour from LittleSue. Great stuff.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
Travisina
Cold Blue Flame

Anger should feel hot. Rage ought to burn.
I’ve never been angrier, but I feel so cold, and so alone.

I can’t talk to the others. Tarrant would find it amusing. He’d smirk, remembering his own threat to throw me out of an airlock. It’s what convinced me to go down to Keezarn, so he’ll assume Avon was using a similar method of persuasion.

The girls would think what they always think: lazy Vila, hiding instead of helping. Suppose Dayna or Soolin had been on that shuttle? They wouldn’t have hidden; they’d have confronted Avon and thrown him out instead. He wouldn’t be able to fault the logic – he’s heavier than either of them. Ha.

I miss you, Cally. I’m all alone, and I don’t know what to do. I’m not used to containing so much rage. I wish you were here. You'd sit down opposite me, I'd pour us a drink, and try to describe what happened. You would listen, leaning your head on your hands, with that serious expression in your eyes.

Once I finished speaking, I’d lean back and we’d each take a sip of wine. For a while, you’d be silent, contemplating both sides of the story: what you’d heard from Avon - because of course you'd have gone to him first - and now from me.

Then it would be my turn to listen. You’d sympathise with my distress, but would calmly explain that Avon had no intention of killing me; he’d have taken no notice of Orac’s suggestion. When trying to coax me out of my hiding place, he was genuinely seeking my help.

And we’d both know that you were lying: that Avon had lied to you, and you knew it, and you were lying to me, and I knew it. But I’d nod agreement with your lies, because I’d understand what you were saying: that the most important thing is our survival, individually and as a group. I would have to live with the memory of this trauma, forgive Avon and move on.

I thought wine might help. I’m already halfway through this bottle, drinking enough for both of us. If you were here, you’d have noticed the way my hand shook as I refilled the glass. If the others saw me, they’d assume I was drunk - properly drunk, not pretending any more. Let them assume – it will be true, soon enough. But right now it’s the anger, hurt and betrayal making my hand shake. Not the drink. Not yet.

I’ve seen what happens when you set light to alcohol. Adding wine to my wrath could make things worse, but I’m willing to take the risk. One thing’s for certain: I’m still alive, but my friendship with Avon died on that shuttle. I can never trust him again, and I can’t trust myself to be alone with him.

I don’t know what I might say or do, while this rage burns inside me with its cold, blue flame.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
GanMiniMe
Oh, Travisina, that was really good but so sad. It’s a great exploration of Vila’s feelings after the events of Orbit. I have always felt that the climax of that episode was quite iconoclastic- we had grown used to the interplay between the two of them. They were the constant that ran through the whole saga (Well, minus the first one of course). I really felt like that episode broke the spell, and your ficlet reflected that.

I think they put Orbit at just the right point in the saga- close to the end but not immediately before. Any earlier and it would have left quite a sour aftertaste for several episodes; if it had been put immediately before Blake then it may have hinted at the shocking ending.
 
Travisina
GanMiniMe wrote:

Oh, Travisina, that was really good but so sad. It’s a great exploration of Vila’s feelings after the events of Orbit. I have always felt that the climax of that episode was quite iconoclastic- we had grown used to the interplay between the two of them. They were the constant that ran through the whole saga (Well, minus the first one of course). I really felt like that episode broke the spell, and your ficlet reflected that.

I think they put Orbit at just the right point in the saga- close to the end but not immediately before. Any earlier and it would have left quite a sour aftertaste for several episodes; if it had been put immediately before Blake then it may have hinted at the shocking ending.

Thanks for the nice comments, GMM!
Orbit is an amazing episode, but (as a Vila fan) I find it intensely traumatic, however many times I watch it.
I agree about the placement of this ep. It's always struck me how angry Vila is throughout 'Warlord', and that we never see him alone with Avon again. His questioning of Avon in the hut in 'Blake' - "Where's Tarrant?" - is also very telling.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
GanMiniMe
Travisina wrote:

Thanks for the nice comments, GMM!
Orbit is an amazing episode, but (as a Vila fan) I find it intensely traumatic, however many times I watch it.
I agree about the placement of this ep. It's always struck me how angry Vila is throughout 'Warlord', and that we never see him alone with Avon again. His questioning of Avon in the hut in 'Blake' - "Where's Tarrant?" - is also very telling.


Do you know, I never noticed that about Vila afterwards before you mentioned it! I’m with you on Orbit. I could have groaned at Vila’s less than glowing moments, and cheered on Avon all the way, but as soon as Orac said they were seventy kilos too heavy I groaned and covered my face because I could see what was coming. I knew that that is the average weight of a grown man and I found myself crying at the screen “No, don’t you dare! Not Vila! Don’t you dare, you ********!”
 
littlesue
GanMiniMe wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Thanks for the nice comments, GMM!
Orbit is an amazing episode, but (as a Vila fan) I find it intensely traumatic, however many times I watch it.
I agree about the placement of this ep. It's always struck me how angry Vila is throughout 'Warlord', and that we never see him alone with Avon again. His questioning of Avon in the hut in 'Blake' - "Where's Tarrant?" - is also very telling.


Do you know, I never noticed that about Vila afterwards before you mentioned it! I’m with you on Orbit. I could have groaned at Vila’s less than glowing moments, and cheered on Avon all the way, but as soon as Orac said they were seventy kilos too heavy I groaned and covered my face because I could see what was coming. I knew that that is the average weight of a grown man and I found myself crying at the screen “No, don’t you dare! Not Vila! Don’t you dare, you ********!”


I remember Grandson sitting beside me watching Orbit and suddenly going very quiet as Orac said those chilling words..Grandson asked, very, very quietly "Is he going to kill him?"
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!


sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.64 seconds
28,381,245 unique visits since 8th January 2014