Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 15

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Mort - 2nd July 2020
stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

So what score are we giving 'Mort'? Overall I'd go for somewhere around 3.

5?

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Which all takes us back to the Listening Monks, and so to Lobsang. I think Thief of Time might be one of my favourite Pratchetts.

I havenít read that one yet.

I must have done, because it's on my shelf - but I don't remember anything about it. Shall we read that one next?

Not that I was trying to pre-empt the next choice or anything. Honest.

So when shall we 3 meet again to discuss - how about 6th August?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Which all takes us back to the Listening Monks, and so to Lobsang. I think Thief of Time might be one of my favourite Pratchetts.

I must have done, because it's on my shelf - but I don't remember anything about it. Shall we read that one next?

Thatís a whole month away! But I am prepared to concede that some of us probably have lives...

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

So what score are we giving 'Mort'? Overall I'd go for somewhere around 3.

5?

I still really like it - assuming we're scoring out of 5, I'll give it 4.5, given that it was one of P's earliest.

M1795537 OC Virn
6th August is ok here. See you then!
You're not sulking, I hope?

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Thatís a whole month away! But I am prepared to concede that some of us probably have lives...

And other books to read for book club, etc!

Travisina
Okay, I'll start the new thread.

Thanks for your company this evening - it was a fun discussion!

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

And other books to read for book club, etc!

I read too quickly, thatís the trouble. Itíll probably only take me a couple of hours.

M1795537 OC Virn
How did we ever manage to fit everything in when we weren't on lockdown? Goodnight, both. Sweet dreams.
You're not sulking, I hope?

stormypetrel
Thatís us, then? Well, goodnight- thanks for the company!

Joe Dredd
Travisina wrote:

Hi StormyP! What's a Fat Rascal?

It's like a rock cake. [Thinks: must make some more rock cakes sometime.]

i.imgur.com/EucHdSw.jpg

i.imgur.com/POe1e2K.jpg

Joe Dredd
Travisina wrote:
Lots of quotable quotes, but one that I hadn't remembered and which made me laugh out loud, was:
"Sodomy non sapiens - Buggered if I know"
which I am now adopting as my motto.

I was going to say, that's a great motto because if anyone asks what it means you can answer them in a way which sounds like you don't know, even though you are actually answering them.

It then occurred to me that's probably exactly the joke TP was making in the book.

Joe Dredd
stormypetrel wrote:
Maybe he was just aware that the vast majority of the population arenít built like rakes?

Thankfully...

Joe Dredd
Travisina wrote:
After reading Mort, I went back to 'Colour of Magic' and 'Light Fantastic', and didn't think they were very good. It was heavy on comedy / satire, and not much by way of characters. I'm glad I didn't start with those. Hubby did, and they put him off reading any more!

I got into the books when The Light Fantastic came out, after reading a recommendation in Playbeing (the newsletter of the Australian HHG fan club). But I got Colour of Magic at the same time and started at the start. The novels definitely improved and improved over time, but then they did get to a peak and come down a notch or too. I remember SFX running a review of something like the 25th novel saying "It's a B+ from Terry Pratchett, but Terry's B's are higher than most other authors A's"

Joe Dredd
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

The Grim Reaper? In our house, we invented the Grim Sweeper, who would trash all the stuff he/she/it found still left on bedroom floors after the occupiers had been warned to tidy up. Since my husband actually uses a scythe for grass cutting, people tended to take notice.

My father-in-law used to cut the grass for the lady who had the property next door to his. The first time I went to visit him, when wifey and I were just going out, he had the ominous note "SLASH MRS BRIGGS" on his memo board in the kitchen. Gulp!

Joe Dredd
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

The 'made of knees' thing is such a stereotype. Pratchett plays with our stereotypes a lot, doesn't he? I mean, Death, for one.

There's one somewhere where he makes a play on the line from 'Sennacherub' -

The Assyrian came down like a wolf from the fold
with his cohorts all gleaming in purple and gold

- where in Pratchett they think 'cohorts' must be some kind of clothing or armour.

The cod Latin mottos hide all sorts of greatness too - "Make my day, punk" for the City watch, "Now you see it, now you don't" for the Wizards etc.

Joe Dredd
Travisina wrote:
So when shall we 3 meet again

Not on a blasted heath, I hope!

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Hi StormyP! What's a Fat Rascal?

It's like a rock cake. [Thinks: must make some more rock cakes sometime.]

i.imgur.com/EucHdSw.jpg

i.imgur.com/POe1e2K.jpg

Oooh. They look wonderful.

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

The 'made of knees' thing is such a stereotype. Pratchett plays with our stereotypes a lot, doesn't he? I mean, Death, for one.

There's one somewhere where he makes a play on the line from 'Sennacherub' -

The Assyrian came down like a wolf from the fold
with his cohorts all gleaming in purple and gold

- where in Pratchett they think 'cohorts' must be some kind of clothing or armour.

The cod Latin mottos hide all sorts of greatness too - "Make my day, punk" for the City watch, "Now you see it, now you don't" for the Wizards etc.

I wish I'd had the chance to learn Latin - if we'd stayed in England I'd have done it in my next year at school, with the same teacher that had taught my Mum!

But we emigrated to Israel, whereupon I swiftly had to acquire a new first language (Hebrew), and at school started learning a second (third?) language (Arabic). Which were fun and challenging in their own way, but I do feel that I've missed out on Latin, though...

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

Travisina wrote:
So when shall we 3 meet again

Not on a blasted heath, I hope!

We've already done that one - 'Wyrd Sisters' was our first read-along.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.16 seconds
28,937,825 unique visits since 8th January 2014