Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,243
· Newest Rebel: Dan Hadley

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [40 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 187
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

 Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Mort - 2nd July 2020
M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

I also like Pratchett's view of the Afterlife ("...more like an apres-vie" ) - that it's basically whatever you believe it to be. I kind of go along with that myself.

Yes. ĎCause if there is only one special place you go, considering how long humanityís been around, how does everyone fit?

It's quantum. Extra-dimensional wossit.
Remind me to tell you the 'tiptoe past the first door' joke sometime...


Tell it now, woman.
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

I also like Pratchett's view of the Afterlife ("...more like an apres-vie" ) - that it's basically whatever you believe it to be. I kind of go along with that myself.

Yes. ĎCause if there is only one special place you go, considering how long humanityís been around, how does everyone fit?

It's quantum. Extra-dimensional wossit.
Remind me to tell you the 'tiptoe past the first door' joke sometime...


Tell it now, woman.

Okay, but it goes in three parts...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
What soprano, alto, tenor?
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

I also like Pratchett's view of the Afterlife ("...more like an apres-vie" ) - that it's basically whatever you believe it to be. I kind of go along with that myself.

Yes. ĎCause if there is only one special place you go, considering how long humanityís been around, how does everyone fit?

It's quantum. Extra-dimensional wossit.
Remind me to tell you the 'tiptoe past the first door' joke sometime...


Tell it now, woman.

Okay, but it goes in three parts...

Go on, then! You canít leave us hanging like that!
 
Travisina
The Tiptoe Joke (nb details can be varied according to religious preference)

Bloke dies, and is in the queue to get into Heaven. As he gets near the front of the queue, he starts to overhear the conversations between St Peter / Angel and the newly-arrived.

St Peter: Welcome to Heaven. What's your religion?
Newbie 1: Hindu
St Peter: Okay, tiptoe past the first door, then it's the third on the left.
Newbie 1: Thanks (and enters).

St Peter: Welcome to Heaven. What's your religion?
Newbie 2: Protestant
St Peter: Okay, tiptoe past the first door, then it's the second on the right.
Newbie 2: Thanks (and enters).

St Peter: Welcome to Heaven. What's your religion?
Newbie 3: Jewish
St Peter: Okay, tiptoe past the first door, then it's the 4th on the left.
Newbie 3: Thanks (and enters).

St Peter: Welcome to Heaven. What's your religion?
Newbie 4: Atheist
St Peter: Okay, tiptoe past the first door, then it's the 5th on the left.
Newbie 4: Thanks (and enters).

...and so on.

When our chap reaches St Peter, he's much intrigued and asks:
"Please tell me: why does everyone have to tiptoe past the first door?"
...

.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
Travisina
...

St Peter replies:
"The first door is the Catholics. We let them think that they're the only ones here!"

.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
Travisina
But as I said, the religion can be varied for avoidance of giving offence. And TBH, don't most religions think they're the only ones there?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

But as I said, the religion can be varied for avoidance of giving offence. And TBH, don't most religions think they're the only ones there?



HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS???
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

But as I said, the religion can be varied for avoidance of giving offence. And TBH, don't most religions think they're the only ones there?

I think you could be right!
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

But as I said, the religion can be varied for avoidance of giving offence. And TBH, don't most religions think they're the only ones there?



HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS???

Don't they?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
Travisina
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

But as I said, the religion can be varied for avoidance of giving offence. And TBH, don't most religions think they're the only ones there?



HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS???

Don't they?

Oh dear, have I given offence? Sad
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
M1795537 OC Virn
Which all takes us back to the Listening Monks, and so to Lobsang. I think Thief of Time might be one of my favourite Pratchetts.
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Which all takes us back to the Listening Monks, and so to Lobsang. I think Thief of Time might be one of my favourite Pratchetts.

I havenít read that one yet.
 
M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

But as I said, the religion can be varied for avoidance of giving offence. And TBH, don't most religions think they're the only ones there?



HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS???

Don't they?

Oh dear, have I given offence? Sad



Takes lot more than that to offend me. Now, if you say the Dereks aren't the best series, that might be another matter.
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Which all takes us back to the Listening Monks, and so to Lobsang. I think Thief of Time might be one of my favourite Pratchetts.

I havenít read that one yet.

I must have done, because it's on my shelf - but I don't remember anything about it. Shall we read that one next?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Which all takes us back to the Listening Monks, and so to Lobsang. I think Thief of Time might be one of my favourite Pratchetts.

I havenít read that one yet.

I must have done, because it's on my shelf - but I don't remember anything about it. Shall we read that one next?

Yeah, go on, then.
 
M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Which all takes us back to the Listening Monks, and so to Lobsang. I think Thief of Time might be one of my favourite Pratchetts.

I havenít read that one yet.

I must have done, because it's on my shelf - but I don't remember anything about it. Shall we read that one next?


Not that I was trying to pre-empt the next choice or anything. Honest.
Edited by M1795537 OC Virn on 02 July 2020 20:51:26
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

But as I said, the religion can be varied for avoidance of giving offence. And TBH, don't most religions think they're the only ones there?



HOW DO YOU KNOW THIS???

Don't they?

Oh dear, have I given offence? Sad



Takes lot more than that to offend me. Now, if you say the Dereks aren't the best series, that might be another matter.

Grin
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent
 
stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Which all takes us back to the Listening Monks, and so to Lobsang. I think Thief of Time might be one of my favourite Pratchetts.

I havenít read that one yet.

I must have done, because it's on my shelf - but I don't remember anything about it. Shall we read that one next?


Not that I was trying to pre-emp the next choice or anything. Honest.

Federation mind manipulation techniques, thatís what it is!
 
M1795537 OC Virn
So what score are we giving 'Mort'? Overall I'd go for somewhere around 3.
You're not sulking, I hope?
 
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.76 seconds
28,754,755 unique visits since 8th January 2014