Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,243
· Newest Rebel: Dan Hadley

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [40 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 187
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Mort - 2nd July 2020
Joe Dredd
Travisina wrote:
I wish I'd had the chance to learn Latin - if we'd stayed in England I'd have done it in my next year at school, with the same teacher that had taught my Mum!

That's pretty impressive, but I think my English teacher had been in harness even longer. He said he taught Shakespeare at his old school!

I don't know much Latin either but a few are easy to pick up - the wonderful Carpe Jugulum, for example - "Seize The Throat", which is easy because most of us know carpe diem. (Fish of the day!)

Fabricati Diem, Punc - is another 'easy' one, at least once you know it's "Make My Day, Punk".

I don't know if I'd have got the motto of Unseen University Nunc Id Vides, Nunc Ne Vides - "Now You See It, Now You Don't" - even though I know vides from video etc and Caesar's Veni, Vidi, Vici.

A few other good ones -

Dico, Dico, Dico - "I Say, I Say, I Say" - Fools' Guild
Id Murmuratis, Id Ludamus - "You Hum It, We'll Play It" - Musicians' Guild
Lucre Sermat - "Money Talks" - Guild of Lawyers
Nil Volupti, Sine Lvcre - "No Pleasure Without Pay" - Seamstresses' Guild
Non Ante Septem Dies Proxima, Squiri - "Not Before Next Week, Squire" - Plumbers' Guild
Nunc Ille Est Magicus - "Now That's Magic" - Guild of Conjurors
Nunquam Vestimus - "We Never Clothe" - Guild of Exotic Dance
Omnis Quis Coruscat Est Or - "All That Glitters Is Gold" - Alchemists' Guild
Vilis Ad Bis Pretii - "Cheap At Twice The Price" - Merchants' Guild

It's not so much the Latin but the jokes in the phrases - clever puns, stereotypical behaviours, Paul Daniels catchphrases... The Latin just adds an extra layer.

I know I'm not telling you anything new. Just relishing the chance to go through some more of Pterry's lines.

Joe Dredd
Oh, and I love his circumvention of "teach a man to fish" - "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!"

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

Travisina wrote:
I wish I'd had the chance to learn Latin - if we'd stayed in England I'd have done it in my next year at school, with the same teacher that had taught my Mum!

That's pretty impressive, but I think my English teacher had been in harness even longer. He said he taught Shakespeare at his old school!

Groan! Grin

I don't know much Latin either but a few are easy to pick up - the wonderful Carpe Jugulum, for example - "Seize The Throat", which is easy because most of us know carpe diem. (Fish of the day!)

Fabricati Diem, Punc - is another 'easy' one, at least once you know it's "Make My Day, Punk".

I don't know if I'd have got the motto of Unseen University Nunc Id Vides, Nunc Ne Vides - "Now You See It, Now You Don't" - even though I know vides from video etc and Caesar's Veni, Vidi, Vici.

A few other good ones -

Dico, Dico, Dico - "I Say, I Say, I Say" - Fools' Guild
Id Murmuratis, Id Ludamus - "You Hum It, We'll Play It" - Musicians' Guild
Lucre Sermat - "Money Talks" - Guild of Lawyers
Nil Volupti, Sine Lvcre - "No Pleasure Without Pay" - Seamstresses' Guild
Non Ante Septem Dies Proxima, Squiri - "Not Before Next Week, Squire" - Plumbers' Guild
Nunc Ille Est Magicus - "Now That's Magic" - Guild of Conjurors
Nunquam Vestimus - "We Never Clothe" - Guild of Exotic Dance
Omnis Quis Coruscat Est Or - "All That Glitters Is Gold" - Alchemists' Guild
Vilis Ad Bis Pretii - "Cheap At Twice The Price" - Merchants' Guild

It's not so much the Latin but the jokes in the phrases - clever puns, stereotypical behaviours, Paul Daniels catchphrases... The Latin just adds an extra layer.

I know I'm not telling you anything new. Just relishing the chance to go through some more of Pterry's lines.

I knew Carpe Jugulum (and of course, fish of the day) but not the others - even though they seem obvious once explained. Vid - Video, of course! Never made the connection.

True story - my parents once talked their way out of trouble on holiday in Italy, thanks to having learned Latin at school. They were able to explain to the arresting officer that what they were carrying were 'pistole d'aqua' and not real guns!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

One Spare Part
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Hey - OSP, if you're with us, thanks for setting my mind to rest about the Dalek thing. I'd remembered it from seeing it in the cinema, I think, aged.... well, a long time ago, anyway. And it was so scary. But brilliant..

It is a scene that stayed in my mind and worked on my imagination. The horror of nuclear war. More scary than a Patrick Allen voice over.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Grade Four Ignorant
Joe Dredd wrote: I got into the books when The Light Fantastic came out, after reading a recommendation in Playbeing (the newsletter of the Australian HHG fan cluCool. But I got Colour of Magic at the same time and started at the start. The novels definitely improved and improved over time, but then they did get to a peak and come down a notch or too. I remember SFX running a review of something like the 25th novel saying "It's a B+ from Terry Pratchett, but Terry's B's are higher than most other authors A's"

I know what you mean about peaking, but still being very good. Pratchett on a bad day can still be better than several other authors on a good day.

There's a few in the last decade of his life that I'm almost convinced were, in part at least, ghostwritten as some people have speculated.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.28 seconds
28,777,290 unique visits since 8th January 2014