Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: The Wee Free Men - 4th June 2020
stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Think the Toad might worry Vila. But not Avon. Blake would just ignore it anyway.

The Toad would worry that Gan might sit on it.
In a drunken moment, Vila suggests to Jenna that she should try kissing it, and then has to spend the rest of the day in hiding.

Grin Grin

And imagine if the Wee Free Men got on board- Space City would be but a distant memory!

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

2. A Hat Full of Sky
3. Wintersmith
4. I shall wear Midnight
5. The Shepherd's Crown

Thank you! I shall seek them out forthwith.

Warning: the last one is very sad.

I have previously been warned of this, and have therefore avoided so far. Iíve read the others, though.

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Think the Toad might worry Vila. But not Avon. Blake would just ignore it anyway.

In a drunken moment, Vila suggests to Jenna that she should try kissing it, and then has to spend the rest of the day in hiding.

Grin Grin

And imagine if the Wee Free Men got on board- Space City would be but a distant memory!

Oh, what glorious chaos would ensue! You'll have to write that for the Advent Calendar (please? )
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

M1795537 OC Virn
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Grin Grin

They would definitely liven things up. Mind you, some of the scripts couild do with it!
You're not sulking, I hope?

M1795537 OC Virn
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

2. A Hat Full of Sky
3. Wintersmith
4. I shall wear Midnight
5. The Shepherd's Crown

I have previously been warned of this, and have therefore avoided so far. Iíve read the others, though.

It does finish everything off nicely, though. Have a go. With tissues handy.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Grin Grin

Oh, what glorious chaos would ensue! You'll have to write that for the Advent Calendar (please? )

Would you believe me if I said Iíve already got my first Advent Calendar entry ready? Although I see no harm in an extra one being provided...Wink

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

And it's not just written for laughs. The Wee Free are hilarious, but it's not just slapstick.
The Granny Aching bits are a poignant and beautiful look at dealing with death and loss and grieving.

Tiffany's adventures in fairy-tale land are proper scary.

And the bits about standing up for people who canít necessarily do it for themselves.

Yes - Pratchett is genius at wrapping serious concepts inside a layer of humour.

Especially when you consider this one wasnít necessarily aimed at an adult audience. Heís not talking down to a younger audience, but sort of gently prodding them to think.

Exactly. I bet he'd have been a superb teacher (or perhaps too much of a maverick!). I still read children's and YA books (BTW thank you again for the Malory Towers - such a treat! I shall treasure them) - and the best ones are where the children are taken seriously, if you see what I mean.

Actually, to explain - my favourite uncle when I was a kid, never talked down to me. One of my best memories is of helping him prune roses while he explained various scientific and engineering concepts, such as the way gears work in a car. He took me seriously, and answered my childish questions with proper consideration. I've never forgotten that, and try to do the same for my own posse of nieces and nephews.

Glad Malory Towers has found a good home! And I agree about the good childrenís books.

I think I was so used to being around adults as a kid that they sort of forgot to talk down to me. The flip side of this was that I had no idea how to deal with people my own age. Iím still not all that sure how, really!

I've always found age to be irrelevant. I got on better with my uncle than some of the kids in my class; I now get on just as well with people much older and much younger. It's about the things you have in common - shared interests, sense of humour, whatever. B7 fans span decades (literally) - as seen on the forum.

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

2. A Hat Full of Sky
3. Wintersmith
4. I shall wear Midnight
5. The Shepherd's Crown

It does finish everything off nicely, though. Have a go. With tissues handy.

I'll read the others first, and then see what frame of mind I'm in. I've been avoiding anything sad or troubling in these sad and troubling times, but may be ready for a cathartic weep by the time I get round to Shepherd's Crown.

M1795537 OC Virn
It's nearly 9pm. Time I took the dog out. Are we doing any more Pratchetts? 'When shall we three meet again' sort of thing?

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Grin Grin

Would you believe me if I said Iíve already got my first Advent Calendar entry ready? Although I see no harm in an extra one being provided...Wink

Wow, I'm impressed!

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

It's nearly 9pm. Time I took the dog out. Are we doing any more Pratchetts? 'When shall we three meet again' sort of thing?

Okay, we should wrap this up.
Just to say again how much I loved this book.

Would you like to do more Pratchetts? I'm certainly up for it. Would either of you like to suggest the next one?

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

And it's not just written for laughs. The Wee Free are hilarious, but it's not just slapstick.
The Granny Aching bits are a poignant and beautiful look at dealing with death and loss and grieving.

And the bits about standing up for people who canít necessarily do it for themselves.

Yes - Pratchett is genius at wrapping serious concepts inside a layer of humour.

Especially when you consider this one wasnít necessarily aimed at an adult audience. Heís not talking down to a younger audience, but sort of gently prodding them to think.

Exactly. I bet he'd have been a superb teacher (or perhaps too much of a maverick!). I still read children's and YA books (BTW thank you again for the Malory Towers - such a treat! I shall treasure them) - and the best ones are where the children are taken seriously, if you see what I mean.

Actually, to explain - my favourite uncle when I was a kid, never talked down to me. One of my best memories is of helping him prune roses while he explained various scientific and engineering concepts, such as the way gears work in a car. He took me seriously, and answered my childish questions with proper consideration. I've never forgotten that, and try to do the same for my own posse of nieces and nephews.

Glad Malory Towers has found a good home! And I agree about the good childrenís books.

I think I was so used to being around adults as a kid that they sort of forgot to talk down to me. The flip side of this was that I had no idea how to deal with people my own age. Iím still not all that sure how, really!

I've always found age to be irrelevant. I got on better with my uncle than some of the kids in my class; I now get on just as well with people much older and much younger. It's about the things you have in common - shared interests, sense of humour, whatever. B7 fans span decades (literally) - as seen on the forum.

How true! I couldnít believe it when someone told me I couldnít be friends with people who were older than me because we werenít the same age.

It is a bit relevant, though, when you find you have to miss a dayís outing because youíre still at work and everyone else going is retired so they did it on a weekday Sad

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Okay, we should wrap this up.
Just to say again how much I loved this book.

Would you like to do more Pratchetts? I'm certainly up for it. Would either of you like to suggest the next one?

I hadnít noticed the time. Yes, all right. And yes to another book, but I havenít any idea which.

What sort of dog?

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

How true! I couldnít believe it when someone told me I couldnít be friends with people who were older than me because we werenít the same age.

It is a bit relevant, though, when you find you have to miss a dayís outing because youíre still at work and everyone else going is retired so they did it on a weekday Sad

Ha! Same here with my local book club ladies! They're all retired (most are well into their 70s-80s), and I do feel left out of all the other things they get up to during the day!

Travisina
If no one else has a suggestion, how about 'Mort' ?
It's another early Pratchett, and a great introduction to one of his best characters.

M1795537 OC Virn
Sprocker. Black spanielly thing.
I think I've had my share of suggesting the next book. What would YOU choose? More to the point, which of them do you have?

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

If no one else has a suggestion, how about 'Mort' ?
It's another early Pratchett, and a great introduction to one of his best characters.

All right by me. Itís in my job lot!

M1795537 OC Virn
Mort takes us off on all sorts of tangents. Good idea.

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Sprocker. Black spanielly thing.
I think I've had my share of suggesting the next book. What would YOU choose? More to the point, which of them do you have?

Ah! Is said black spanielly thing a complete nut job? They usually are (says the owner of one mad Labrador).

Travisina
'Mort' it is, then!

How about 2nd July to discuss?

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.86 seconds
28,937,414 unique visits since 8th January 2014