Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: The Wee Free Men - 4th June 2020
stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I liked his comment on fathers having their own sort of 'jokes' that aren't funny after you've heard them so many times. And all the poking fun at teachers and education in general. Really knows his audience!

My father has a number of those. Apparently I have no sense of humour. Angry

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

And it's not just written for laughs. The Wee Free are hilarious, but it's not just slapstick.
The Granny Aching bits are a poignant and beautiful look at dealing with death and loss and grieving.

Tiffany's adventures in fairy-tale land are proper scary.

And the bits about standing up for people who can’t necessarily do it for themselves.

Yes - Pratchett is genius at wrapping serious concepts inside a layer of humour.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I liked his comment on fathers having their own sort of 'jokes' that aren't funny after you've heard them so many times. And all the poking fun at teachers and education in general. Really knows his audience!

So true!
My Dad's shaggy dog stories were legendary. He could spin out a tale over several days before reaching a terribly corny punchline. And then repeat next time we had guests staying over...

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

And it's not just written for laughs. The Wee Free are hilarious, but it's not just slapstick.
The Granny Aching bits are a poignant and beautiful look at dealing with death and loss and grieving.

And the bits about standing up for people who can’t necessarily do it for themselves.

Yes - Pratchett is genius at wrapping serious concepts inside a layer of humour.

Especially when you consider this one wasn’t necessarily aimed at an adult audience. He’s not talking down to a younger audience, but sort of gently prodding them to think.

M1795537 OC Virn
The rest of the series gets darker... in case you were wondering. Not nastier, but Tiffany grows up a bit. So the problems are more complex.
YES! Looking after those who can't help themselves is what witching is about.
You're not sulking, I hope?

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

They could do with a Tiffany on the Liberator. And a Toad.

Oh, the possibilities... That is a thought to conjure with!

Brilliant! I can imagine the Toad going to head to head with Avon and/or Orac.
And Tiffany would stand no nonsense from anybody - I wonder who she'd like best? Cally?

I think you might be right. Cally would be the most likely to take her seriously.

They could go off and do witchy - telepathic - empathic things together.

M1795537 OC Virn
Think the Toad might worry Vila. But not Avon. Blake would just ignore it anyway.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

They could do with a Tiffany on the Liberator. And a Toad.

Oh, the possibilities... That is a thought to conjure with!

Brilliant! I can imagine the Toad going to head to head with Avon and/or Orac.
And Tiffany would stand no nonsense from anybody - I wonder who she'd like best? Cally?

I think you might be right. Cally would be the most likely to take her seriously.

They could go off and do witchy - telepathic - empathic things together.

I rather suspect Avon might be relieved at having Tiffany removed from his immediate presence. Although he might wish the Toad would go with them.

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Think the Toad might worry Vila. But not Avon. Blake would just ignore it anyway.

I think he’d irritate Avon. I think Tiffany’s frying pan might worry Vila, too. But Blake would ignore it as well.

M1795537 OC Virn
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I think he’d irritate Avon. I think Tiffany’s frying pan might worry Vila, too. But Blake would ignore it as well.

I hope nobody is going to start imagining there might be similarities between the 'Quin' and....

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I hope nobody is going to start imagining there might be similarities between the 'Quin' and....

The thought hadn’t even crossed my mind... until now!

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Especially when you consider this one wasn’t necessarily aimed at an adult audience. He’s not talking down to a younger audience, but sort of gently prodding them to think.

Exactly. I bet he'd have been a superb teacher (or perhaps too much of a maverick!). I still read children's and YA books (BTW thank you again for the Malory Towers - such a treat! I shall treasure them) - and the best ones are where the children are taken seriously, if you see what I mean.

Actually, to explain - my favourite uncle when I was a kid, never talked down to me. One of my best memories is of helping him prune roses while he explained various scientific and engineering concepts, such as the way gears work in a car. He took me seriously, and answered my childish questions with proper consideration. I've never forgotten that, and try to do the same for my own posse of nieces and nephews.

M1795537 OC Virn
Favourite quote: "it's still magic even if you know how it's done". Isn't that what B7 is all about, too?

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

The rest of the series gets darker... in case you were wondering. Not nastier, but Tiffany grows up a bit. So the problems are more complex.
YES! Looking after those who can't help themselves is what witching is about.

Now I want to read all the others! How many are there, and what are they called?

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

The Toad would worry that Gan might sit on it.
In a drunken moment, Vila suggests to Jenna that she should try kissing it, and then has to spend the rest of the day in hiding.

M1795537 OC Virn
2. A Hat Full of Sky
3. Wintersmith
4. I shall wear Midnight
5. The Shepherd's Crown

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Favourite quote: "it's still magic even if you know how it's done". Isn't that what B7 is all about, too?

Of course!

Isn't that a common theme running throughout Pratchett's books? I seem to recall it possibly in Pyramids, or Guards Guards.

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

2. A Hat Full of Sky
3. Wintersmith
4. I shall wear Midnight
5. The Shepherd's Crown

Thank you! I shall seek them out forthwith.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Exactly. I bet he'd have been a superb teacher (or perhaps too much of a maverick!). I still read children's and YA books (BTW thank you again for the Malory Towers - such a treat! I shall treasure them) - and the best ones are where the children are taken seriously, if you see what I mean.

Actually, to explain - my favourite uncle when I was a kid, never talked down to me. One of my best memories is of helping him prune roses while he explained various scientific and engineering concepts, such as the way gears work in a car. He took me seriously, and answered my childish questions with proper consideration. I've never forgotten that, and try to do the same for my own posse of nieces and nephews.

Glad Malory Towers has found a good home! And I agree about the good children’s books.

I think I was so used to being around adults as a kid that they sort of forgot to talk down to me. The flip side of this was that I had no idea how to deal with people my own age. I’m still not all that sure how, really!

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

2. A Hat Full of Sky
3. Wintersmith
4. I shall wear Midnight
5. The Shepherd's Crown

Thank you! I shall seek them out forthwith.

Warning: the last one is very sad.
Edited by M1795537 OC Virn on 04 June 2020 19:49:34

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.61 seconds
28,936,998 unique visits since 8th January 2014