Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,243
· Newest Rebel: Dan Hadley

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [40 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 187
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Wyrd Sisters - 7th May 2020
stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Perhaps it’s best left to the imagination!

Probably!

I once had to (sober!) sing some filthy alternative lyrics to another children’s book dealer, after much persuasion. I haven’t seen him since...

Travisina
Some of the bits in the book were quite scary, especially the end of the Duchess. That was unexpected - I thought Granny had defeated her, but D was like the flippin' Terminator! But then the forest creatures... oooh.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

M1795537 OC Virn
ALternatively you could make do with Les Barker and his poem about hedgehogs. It's on YouTube.
You're not sulking, I hope?

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

Some of the bits in the book were quite scary, especially the end of the Duchess. That was unexpected - I thought Granny had defeated her, but D was like the flippin' Terminator! But then the forest creatures... oooh.

‘S alright, you needn’t be scared. They only gang up to eat nasty people.

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

ALternatively you could make do with Les Barker and his poem about hedgehogs. It's on YouTube.

I shall investigate...

M1795537 OC Virn
This book is giving me flashbacks to seeing Paul Darrow as Macbeth, many moons ago.

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

It was still a scary moment.

A not-scary but wonderful moment that I remembered from years ago was Magrat breaking down the door by using the power of nature to bring the wood back to life.

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

This book is giving me flashbacks to seeing Paul Darrow as Macbeth, many moons ago.

Oh gosh, I saw it too. Less said about that the better. Much as I loved Paul, it was not very good...

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

A not-scary but wonderful moment that I remembered from years ago was Magrat breaking down the door by using the power of nature to bring the wood back to life.

Yes! Absolutely brilliant bit!

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Yes. I liked her wish for the baby, too.

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Oh gosh, I saw it too. Less said about that the better. Much as I loved Paul, it was not very good...

Oh dear... I liked the bit where he talked to us afterwards best!

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Oh dear... I liked the bit where he talked to us afterwards best!

Yes, that was definitely the best bit!

On the other hand, did you see him as Elvis in 'Are You Lonesome'? Now that WAS good!

M1795537 OC Virn
No. Don't think 'Elvis' came this far north. Can imagine he'd do that well.
Hey - back to the book!

Love the things he says about words, and the magic of words and inspirations sleeting through the multiverse...uses some of the same stuff in 'Moving Pictures', I think.

Travisina
Back to Wyrd Sisters...

I loved all the Shakespeare references, plots, dialogue and quotes, but I also loved all the other references that kept popping into Hwel's brain.

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

No. Don't think 'Elvis' came this far north. Can imagine he'd do that well.

It came to Manchester - I saw it at the Palace.

Hey - back to the book!

I just said that!

Love the things he says about words, and the magic of words and inspirations sleeting through the multiverse...uses some of the same stuff in 'Moving Pictures', I think.

I just said something similar, I think!

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

Back to Wyrd Sisters...

I loved all the Shakespeare references, plots, dialogue and quotes, but I also loved all the other references that kept popping into Hwel's brain.

We're back to what you said last time about the amount of research he must have done for each book. Or maybe details like that stuck in his mind and he saved them up for the right story.

stormypetrel
I wasn’t keen on the duke’s hand and his attempts to remove the blood. My imagination is vivid enough that it activated my gag reflex every time it was mentioned.

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Back to Wyrd Sisters...

We're back to what you said last time about the amount of research he must have done for each book. Or maybe details like that stuck in his mind and he saved them up for the right story.

Maybe he had a bit of Hwel’s problem himself!

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Back to Wyrd Sisters...

I like to think it's the latter - that he was a Shakespeare fan, and when he got the chance he joyously put everything into a fairly slim book.

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

I wasn’t keen on the duke’s hand and his attempts to remove the blood. My imagination is vivid enough that it activated my gag reflex every time it was mentioned.

I know, but it was funny as well. Lady Macbeth turned up to 11.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.66 seconds
28,755,218 unique visits since 8th January 2014