Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 925
· Newest Rebel: uazdah

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Are you a B7 'shipper? Poll.
Spaceship Dispatcher
Not a B7 'shipper at all, and probably wouldn't consider that direction tbh.

Not really a DW 'shipper either except for the obvious sailed ship of Amy/Rory and alluding to a Jamie/Victoria ship.

If anyone has no idea what we're on about, there's a page on Wikipedia here that explains all...

Oops
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 02 April 2014 05:09:51
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

President Solvite
No as a general rule its nothing, or very little to do with the series in question and in my opinion adds nothing or very little to the 'serious' discussions that can be had with a series.

Of course its fun to speculate and have a laugh on possibilities. But for me no.. These arent the droids you're looking for, move along.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Spaceship Dispatcher
President Solvite wrote:

...in my opinion adds nothing or very little to the 'serious' discussions that can be had with a series...

True, although the term only really applies to artwork and fanfic rather than comment and discussion.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Angry Angel
The first time I came across the term 'shipping was in regard to Farscape when it was showing originally. Fans (including me) were hoping that Crichton and Aeryn would get together, and of course they did. It's a bit different when you're watching and old show, particularly one where romantic relationships between the crew are not shown. I've got vague ideas that some of the characters could have been 'friendly', but I'm not really bothered one way or the other. There wasn't really an option on the poll for that, so I went for 'No Way!', but it was more 'Not really'.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
purplecleric
Yes - but not in the conventional sense...

Lurena
I hope I understand a bit now of what it's all about:
I'm still not all that familiar with the world of fandom it seems!
( I wasn't introduced to fandom before 2009...)
I've read the Wikipedia article (SD's link), and found it amazing, all this terminology!

So it's about romantic relationships fans would like to see.

The series provided us with some information about the Blake's 7 characters' relationships in order to give a reason for their acting.
I'm of opinion to stick to that as this information is relevant. (Gan and his wife, Avon and Anna, Vila and Kerril, Servalan and Don Keller, Blake and Inga(?), Og and..? )

But I understand that some fans are keen to have stories about the "paring" of some of the characters while it is not originally intended that way.
I have no interest in such at all.

True, although the term only really applies to artwork and fanfic rather than comment and discussion.

But, according to the Wikipedia there seem to be places where this happens?
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
JustBrad
What's a shipper? (Googles it).

Hmm. I'd have to say no, except perhaps for the occasional one nighter.... As in, we tried it, it didn't work for either of us, let's stay friends and move on.

I could certainly see Blake and Jenna agreeing to put things on hold until 'this is all over.' And then Jenna caught Blake promising to come back for Inga....

Spaceship Dispatcher
Lurena wrote:

So it's about romantic relationships fans would like to see.

But, according to the Wikipedia there seem to be places where this happens?

Shipping is an abbreviation of Relationshipping - not an actual word, just made up by fandom - which means creating your own stories through artwork or by writing fanfic which place characters from the show in romances with each other, outside of what happened in the series. Speculating about on screen events is just that - speculation. Shipping means actually going as far as creating the romance for the characters yourself, not just talking or thinking about it, and getting it down on paper or publishing it online. If the characters do get together on screen, then stories written after the fact are no longer shipping as its generally meant; they are just fanfic. The term in the glossary I linked to called a 'sailed ship' - meaning the characters 'coming together' has been and gone - covers writing about romances that have happened already on screen, and I included my writing about a married Amy and Rory (Dr Who) in that catagory.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 02 April 2014 15:10:44

trevor travis
I voted no, I don't have any B7 slippers.

Website Mutoid
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Not altogether sure I would agree with the above, tbh. In a B7 context there might be a case to be made for shipping Avon/Cally, for instance, based on just the Children/Rumours/Sarcophagus "trilogy". I am a diehard shipper in many fandoms and for me, personally, much of the joy comes from speculating as far as I can without actually breaking canon, and that can be quite a long way! Of course, the "no, there was never anything between characters A & B" discussions are just as valid but I think when a ship is born from canonical evidence (be it only a look, an accidental touch or whatever) then I think it's perfectly valid to take it into the region of comment and discussion - as long as no-one tries to present it as indisputable fact.

Not sure the above says what I really meant it to, but though I understand why some people have no interest in exploring such things, I think where there is clearly something to kick the idea off in the mind more than one fan/viewer/whatever, then a potential ship becomes as valid for serious comment and discussion as anything else in the fandom's universe.

Still can't explain that the way I want to, so maybe I'll just stop trying. ;)
www.blakes7online.com/images/clear.png
"Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness." - Allen Ginsberg

Grade Four Ignorant
Most love in Blake's 7 ends tragically, so not particularly.

Blake and Jenna strike up an easy camaraderie and Jenna certainly admires Blake. I think somewhere in Season B, between Pressure Point and Star One, she realises that Blake will never love her like she wants as all his energy is devoted to the rebellion. They

President Solvite

President Solvite wrote:

...in my opinion adds nothing or very little to the 'serious' discussions that can be had with a series...

Can you clarify what you mean here, SD with your response to my post. I'm not sure I agree but would rather here it explained, just in case I misunderstood.

Light hearted discussions (for my part) could be had regarding a ship.. But to be honest the thing that would interest me far more is the bigger picture, the ship for me would be a minor detail. I suspect if I were to engage in a conversation about a potential B7 ship the conversation would wander onto 'bigger' things. I therefore find the poll options unable to express my view accurately, its more of a disinterested no than a vehement no..

(tries to define my classification of myself within all of my fandoms) I am more into the larger 'verse, politics and interstellar geography.. Ships in my view are of a limited interest unless taken in a larger context. Is there a truncation for that kind of fan? A VPG'er perhaps?

trevor travis
President Solvite wrote:
I am more into... interstellar geography

Ah, so you're more interested in the Intergalactic Minefield than whether Avon and Cally are getting it on between episodes? Grin
Edited by trevor travis on 02 April 2014 19:34:50

Spaceship Dispatcher
PS and AA - as much as relationships can of course be discussed at any time, the actual term 'shipping is a artwork/fanfic sub-genre to describe fan works containing non-canon romantic liaisons (usually but not exclusively with lots of... erm... detail)

clareblues1
I think I'd put myself in the 'no, not particularly' pigeon hole...although I don't care for the guano!

I suspect in order to be defined as a 'shipper' one has to be fairly dedicated to the idea of creating romances between characters.

I'm not suggesting that a story heavily laced with this kind of material doesn't work in the context of said story, fan fic or otherwise, but I would say that romance is just one element among many that a good writer uses to create interest.

Though of course, as others have already pointed out, I do like to have the wider picture featured just as strongly.
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

Website Mutoid

...the actual term 'shipping is a artwork/fanfic sub-genre to describe fan works containing non-canon romantic liaisons (usually but not exclusively with lots of... erm... detail)

It is that, but it isn't only that. Thousands of shippers from the dawn of time would beg to differ at that as a firm description. Adult and/or slash fic and art isn't exclusive to shipping (because it can use canonical pairings) and shipping isn't exclusive to creative endeavours, graphic or not. At least not in my experience, and I've been involved in various organised fandoms since the late '70s. :)

In B7, I think we could (if we so wished) discuss Avon/Cally (as in my previous example) as a ship or potential ship based on stuff seen/heard in the eps with absolutely no reference to fan-created works.

Shipping has a spectrum, I think, from semi-serious discussions about whether two characters could have had a deeper or more intimate relationship than may be immediately obvious right through to discussion and creative works that encompass some outlandish and genuinely hard-to-imagine pairings. Whatever, it's definitely not just about the reading and writing of adult-rated fic!

Website Mutoid
trevor travis wrote:

Ah, so you'e more interested in the Intergalactic Minefield than wheter Avon and Cally are getting it on between episodes? :D

This is a brilliant way to sum up the entire shipping debate. Kudos. :)

GoldChannel
I think shipping etc is fun to use in jokes and the like, but for real? Not my cup of soma.

President Solvite
trevor travis wrote:

President Solvite wrote:
I am more into... interstellar geography

Ah, so you're more interested in the Intergalactic Minefield than whether Avon and Cally are getting it on between episodes? Grin

Indeed yes... Smile

(as a serious discussion definitely, but during some local meetings way back in the early 90's great fun was had discussing a variety of topics.. eh? WM? Grin )

I don't think our local Harvester restaurant ever recovered from our group's monthly visits..

Website Mutoid
President Solvite wrote:
Indeed yes... :)

(as a serious discussion definitely, but during some local meetings way back in the early 90's great fun was had discussing a variety of topics.. eh? WM? :D )

I don't think our local Harvester restaurant ever recovered from our group's monthly visits..

Oh, the tales that could be told! Great days! :D

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.44 seconds
9,891,936 unique visits since 8th January 2014