Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [17 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 94
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Are you a B7 'shipper? Poll.
President Solvite
Hehe...

Indeed yes, seems so long ago now..

In 'depth' *cough* Blake's 7 discussions one minute and computer games the next, with late night location visits, the odd drink, and an occasional guest appearance of a certain Supreme Commander, and her 'sidekicks' Pfft

Is it really twenty years or so ago?? My goodness now I feel old..

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Website Mutoid
President Solvite wrote:

In 'depth' *cough* Blake's 7 discussions one minute and computer games the next, with late night location visits, the odd drink, and an occasional guest appearance of a certain Supreme Commander, and her 'sidekicks' :P

We should probably be setting a good example here and not wandering quite so far off-topic, but he he he... trying to navigate to the Headhunter bridge in the dark was... interesting! ;)
www.blakes7online.com/images/clear.png
"Follow your inner moonlight; don't hide the madness." - Allen Ginsberg

BradPaula
First, I'd like to thank SD for posting a link to what exactly a shipper was. I had no idea of the term in regards to fandom. Secondly, especially in the lean years of Blake's 7 when we had only our Horizon zines, the Trevor Hower novelizations and Tony Attwood's Afterlife and Programme Guide... we had to entertain ourselves and often we would write fan fiction not for general consumption. I'm guilty as many of us were so...

In many of Brad's or my stories in the olden days... we often paired characters up with one another to see what would happen. The main pairings we usually devised were of course, Blake and Jenna- Avon and Cally- Tarrant and Dayna- Soolin and Vila- Soolin and Avon- Servalan and Avon- Servalan and Tarrant- Servalan and Jarvik- Tarrant and Piri (Cancer)- Tarrant and Zeeona- Vila and Kerrill- and two of Brad's creations Grant and Jenna- and Grant and Kerrill.

I happen to live in the reality where Grant and Jenna formed a relationship after she left Liberator. The pair seem to have mutual affinities- a smuggling/freetrading/pilot with a mercenary/freedom fighter/general pain in the bottom soldier. A match made in heaven. The other 'shipping' either worked or did not, but the Grant-Jenna pairing worked the best. Thanks Brad. I treasure your Grant-Jenna PGP stories with Avon, Vila and Orac too. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

meegat39
BradPaula wrote:

First, I'd like to thank SD for posting a link to what exactly a shipper was. I had no idea of the term in regards to fandom. Secondly, especially in the lean years of Blake's 7 when we had only our Horizon zines, the Trevor Hower novelizations and Tony Attwood's Afterlife and Programme Guide... we had to entertain ourselves and often we would write fan fiction not for general consumption. I'm guilty as many of us were so...

In many of Brad's or my stories in the olden days... we often paired characters up with one another to see what would happen. The main pairings we usually devised were of course, Blake and Jenna- Avon and Cally- Tarrant and Dayna- Soolin and Vila- Soolin and Avon- Servalan and Avon- Servalan and Tarrant- Servalan and Jarvik- Tarrant and Piri (Cancer)- Tarrant and Zeeona- Vila and Kerrill- and two of Brad's creations Grant and Jenna- and Grant and Kerrill.

I happen to live in the reality where Grant and Jenna formed a relationship after she left Liberator. The pair seem to have mutual affinities- a smuggling/freetrading/pilot with a mercenary/freedom fighter/general pain in the bottom soldier. A match made in heaven. The other 'shipping' either worked or did not, but the Grant-Jenna pairing worked the best. Thanks Brad. I treasure your Grant-Jenna PGP stories with Avon, Vila and Orac too. -Paula

Wannna read them! Can you post a link pretty please?
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Angry Angel
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Lurena wrote:

So it's about romantic relationships fans would like to see.

True, although the term only really applies to artwork and fanfic rather than comment and discussion.

But, according to the Wikipedia there seem to be places where this happens?

Shipping is an abbreviation of Relationshipping - not an actual word, just made up by fandom - which means creating your own stories through artwork or by writing fanfic which place characters from the show in romances with each other, outside of what happened in the series. Speculating about on screen events is just that - speculation. Shipping means actually going as far as creating the romance for the characters yourself, not just talking or thinking about it, and getting it down on paper or publishing it online. If the characters do get together on screen, then stories written after the fact are no longer shipping as its generally meant; they are just fanfic. The term in the glossary I linked to called a 'sailed ship' - meaning the characters 'coming together' has been and gone - covers writing about romances that have happened already on screen, and I included my writing about a married Amy and Rory (Dr Who) in that catagory.

I have to disagree that shipping has to be more concrete than just discussion, or even interest. The Wiki page you linked to even says this: "Shipping, derived from the word relationship or worship, is the belief that two people, usually fictional, would be interesting or believable (or are, or will be, or should be) in a romantic relationship. It is considered a general term for fans' emotional involvement with the ongoing development of romance in a work of fiction."

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Spaceship Dispatcher
@ Paula - agree with meegat39, it would be great to read some of your old fics if you're willing to share them Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:
First, I'd like to thank SD for posting a link to what exactly a shipper was. I had no idea of the term in regards to fandom. -Paula

Same here. It's all been news to me as well. Grin

Grade Four Ignorant
I suppose I'm a shipper in the sense that I always enjoy a story that highlights the bromance between Avon and Vila, when we see their mutual affinities come to the fore and they get involved in some caper.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

I suppose I'm a shipper in the sense that I always enjoy a story that highlights the bromance between Avon and Vila, when we see their mutual affinities come to the fore and they get involved in some caper.

I like the non-canon version of Avon and Vila as snipy best budds. Especially when Vila gets to show how much more intelligence and nouce Avon expects him to have.

We really needed a fourth choice in the poll though for friendship fics.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
The New Patterns for Old Friends series has a great Jenna sub-plot.

magnificat posted this in the Jenna character thread.

Personally I found nearly all the characters in the New Patterns and Old Friends to be really OOT from the canon.

spoilers...whited out

Jenna I can't see as being so calculatingly callous nor can I seee Servalan allowing her prize to be wantinly tortured almost constantly...

Vila and Cally seem to be dumped in just to fill out plot holes...

I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Lurena
Website Mutoid wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

True, although the term only really applies to artwork and fanfic rather than comment and discussion.

Not altogether sure I would agree with the above, tbh. In a B7 context there might be a case to be made for shipping Avon/Cally, for instance, based on just the Children/Rumours/Sarcophagus "trilogy". I am a diehard shipper in many fandoms and for me, personally, much of the joy comes from speculating as far as I can without actually breaking canon, and that can be quite a long way! Of course, the "no, there was never anything between characters A & B" discussions are just as valid but I think when a ship is born from canonical evidence (be it only a look, an accidental touch or whatever) then I think it's perfectly valid to take it into the region of comment and discussion - as long as no-one tries to present it as indisputable fact.

Not sure the above says what I really meant it to, but though I understand why some people have no interest in exploring such things, I think where there is clearly something to kick the idea off in the mind more than one fan/viewer/whatever, then a potential ship becomes as valid for serious comment and discussion as anything else in the fandom's universe.

Still can't explain that the way I want to, so maybe I'll just stop trying. Wink

Hi Website Mutoid,
I think I do understand what you tried to explain.

I remember on the previous forum there were a few discussions about the relationships between the characters.
Some fans expressed their opinion about the Blake-Jenna, Avon-Cally and I believe there was also Servalan-Avon.
However, the term "shipper" was not mentioned.
I remember, in my innocence I posted about my view on Cally, who is a very interesting character that sadly was not explored enough and her parts in the stories are not developed enough in my opinion.
And now, suddenly I understand why I didn't get any reply as the others must have been used to "shipper's reactions".

Now I think I can say I'm not at all a "shipper", but I respect all who are, just because it proves how good the drama of the show is; after all it is the purpose of a play to evoke empathy and emotions to keep characters and their events in your mind for as long as possible, isn't it?
The "canonical evidences " then can lead to fantasy.
I think it depends on what you do with it and how fanatic you expose your ideas.
I am able to enjoy reading a well written story, for instance, about Avon and Cally ( like yours!), but then, you have to forgive me, I will think "that is your Cally and your Avon, not the original, not mine". ( if you'd called them Cook and Zopie it was a good story too)

Now it is my turn to say "I hope I explained myself well". Please keep in mind that I am a non native English speaker and that I watched Blake's 7 in 1979 (S1) and 1982 (S2) already being an adult, which should make you realise that the "canonical evidences" can have other meanings when seen through adult eyes.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
President Solvite
I am amazed at the number of people who didn't know what a 'shipper' was.

Looking at poll results. Mind you upon joining organised B7 fandom back in the early 90's I was exposed to some pretty 'hard core' fans. (meaning that in the nicest possible way!)

Travisina
I didn't know either - and I've been steeped in fandom, and especially fan fiction, for longer than I care to admit! Just goes to show, there's always something new to learn...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Angry Angel
Shipping's been around for a while, even if the name hasn't. I just read something the other day about Little Women's Louisa May Allcott stating that Jo and Laurie would never get together, no matter how many fans demanded it!

Lurena
It's a relief to see that "shipping" wasn't known by every fan!
It seems to me that it was invented to kind of soothe the emotions of arguing fans and to organise their comments?
If so, then I keep away far from it as I never ever would like to say something negative or get involved in a fight.
Please enlighten me if I'm incorrect?
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Angry Angel
Lurena wrote:

It seems to me that it was invented to kind of soothe the emotions of arguing fans and to organise their comments?
If so, then I keep away far from it as I never ever would like to say something negative or get involved in a fight.

Well, it makes it easier to find other fans with the same opinion so you can discuss the ship you're into, so it probably helps to avoid arguments.

trevor travis
President Solvite wrote:

1. The captain of a ship
2. Footwear worn by old people
3. Features in a title of a "Fawlty Towers" episode
4. A large ride at the funfair
5. A type of old ship
6. Someone who takes their clothes off.

purplecleric
Angry Angel wrote:

Lurena wrote:

Well, it makes it easier to find other fans with the same opinion so you can discuss the ship you're into, so it probably helps to avoid arguments.

It's used extensively as a shorthand in fanfic so you can avoid ships/pairings you don't like - there's almost an entire second language of terms and abbreviations

purplecleric
trevor travis wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

1. The captain of a ship
2. Footwear worn by old people
3. Features in a title of a "Fawlty Towers" episode
4. A large ride at the funfair
5. A type of old ship
6. Someone who takes their clothes off.

hee hee!

President Solvite
Lurena wrote:

I hope no one sees my comment as a slight about anyone who didn't know the term or wanted clarification or expansion of what the definition of a shipper was. I just thought it was so mainstream in so many fandoms, that it was as common a term as say canonicity. I suppose it is an advantage at times to live in an area frequented by so many different types of fans.

The original B7 meeting group had a heavily female presence with a slight obsession in a certain leather clad rebel. (with occasional mention of other characters ) I never did witness any arguments on 'ship' issues possibly because we knew any disagreements could be solved by Trial by Deathmatch Doom... hehe! Grin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.66 seconds
9,086,478 unique visits since 8th January 2014