Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,249
· Newest Rebel: Teleport

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Potential Planetary Surfaces- a lockdown game
stormypetrel
Right; for those of us whose sanity is slowly unravelling (or has unravelled already, judging by some of our number), here’s a game to play. So far, we can still leave the house for exercise, on foot or by bicycle. The pace of which allows for an appreciation of our surroundings. The game is quite simple- the clue’s in the name. Anyone can play, with a bit of imagination. Find somewhere you think resembles a… well, a potential planetary surface… Take a photo and caption it. Post it here. For example:

“This planet is clearly in the same sector as Gauda Prime. The similarities can be seen in the type of foliage which grows here. However, an important difference marks it apart from its sister planet. Brewing over the gas canister is not a spit-roasted squirrel, but a traveller’s kettle."

i.imgur.com/67dqOnP.jpg

In fact, you needn’t even leave the house:

The bars of Space City were variable in quality...

i.imgur.com/VnJZgvF.jpg

Go on- someone else go next, so I don’t look like I’m the only one who’s lost it. Although I did have to drink the contents of those glasses after I’d photographed them...

BradPaula
i.imgur.com/PMYqLOD.jpg

The planet, COVID-19, is earth-like in size and topography. The only problem is the people are fighting this phobon plague type of virus at the moment so perhaps it wasn't the best time to teleport down and have a weekend of restful relaxation and fun. Of course once you are inside, you can take off your mask, sit down and perhaps have a nice hot cuppa- but that is all I'm afraid as all the local off licenses seem to be closed for the foreseeable future. I'll have to make a note for Vila not to bother here. He'd die of thirst, as he seems allergic to plain water. So perhaps for the near future the galactic police will cordon off this little planet until the inhabitants come up with a solution and they can get back to watching the local sports matches and drinking concoctions of alcohol again. Sigh, too late to get a refund for me I'm afraid. Hope to have better luck next time I book a trip. *Wonders* How is the planet Earth at the moment.... perhaps I could salvage my weekend and teleport down to that little gem of a planet....
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

M1795537 OC Virn
Here's a shot of Virn taken from my control room - it's GREEN everywhere.
i.imgur.com/C1hA12o.jpg
You're not sulking, I hope?

Travisina
Federation Security Complex (junior division) - Vila will have his work cut out breaking into this one.
(click on image for higher resolution)

www.blakes7online.com/images/news/fed_security_1000px.jpg
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Joe Dredd
Great idea for a game, stormy.

Is that a Zen clock I can see in the background, Paula?

Virn looks like a nice place to live. I think I want to visit there.

T- very clever! (Actually, I'm surprised the equipment isn't cordoned off to stop it being used. Are children still allowed to play on it?)

Ellen York
Paula, are you sure it isn't Crimmo planet? Can you wear that without fogging up your glasses?
Work has started requiring we wear the disposable surgical kind and if I don't get it adjusted exactly right my gasses keep fogging up, so annoying Sad

BradPaula
Joe Dredd wrote:

Great idea for a game, stormy.

Is that a Zen clock I can see in the background, Paula?

Virn looks like a nice place to live. I think I want to visit there.

T- very clever! (Actually, I'm surprised the equipment isn't cordoned off to stop it being used. Are children still allowed to play on it?)

Yes that is a Zen clock in the background. Brad bid on and won the one off clock during a Horizon table auction at one con. It's pretty cool, right?

BradPaula
Ellen York wrote:

Paula, are you sure it isn't Crimmo planet? Can you wear that without fogging up your glasses?
Work has started requiring we wear the disposable surgical kind and if I don't get it adjusted exactly right my gasses keep fogging up, so annoying Sad

Yes, I do have sort of a Crimno look, don't I? Someone on Facebook commented that I reminded him of a Federation trooper. The N95 mask is great and medical grade. But you are correct- it's hard to wear with glasses as you tend to expel warm air and it does fog up the lenses - not to mention causing my bi-focals to mis-align and thus I cannot read print unless I crane my head in unusual angles to see. Strange times we live in. I am going to look into making some cloth masks next.

Hugbot
i.imgur.com/8sWesXH.jpg

After teleporting down to the planet surface, they found themselves in a strange blue landscape inhabited by strange blue creatures. Could this be the home world of the Ultra?

i.imgur.com/c8N3Ahw.jpg

Hidden behind a rock, Dayna watched space-farers from a long forgotten epoch fighting against terrible monsters ... however, whe was unaware of the dangers lurking behind!

Cygnus Bazza
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Here's a shot of Virn taken from my control room - it's GREEN everywhere.

You are the Duchess of Abercorn and I claim my £100.

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

It's fenced & locked in a polite, British way:

www.blakes7online.com/images/news/fed_security2_1000px.jpg

www.blakes7online.com/images/news/fed_security3_1000px.jpg

I'll have to go back to see if folk are complying, or if more stringent cordoning has been implemented.

stormypetrel
Bravo, everyone!

The Liberator crew were exceedingly pleased they had ‘borrowed’ Mr Potter’s invisibility cloak, as Zen had informed them that the Corona authorities handed out large fines to groups of more than two people. However...
i.imgur.com/ImA3yn5.jpg
”Vila! Stop shuffling! Your foot’s poking out!”
“I can’t help that; your elbow’s in my ribs, anyway! And I said I’d stay on board, to keep the numbers down, didn’t I, only you insisted...”

Hugbot
Sorry, I am cheating: I didn’t take the photos now on a stroll in the vicinity but plundered my archive of holiday piccies from Husum, Lübeck, Travemünde, Rügen and the Externsteine rock formation near Horn-Bad Meinberg.

The Lost Outpost

When the white shimmer of the teleport effect faded, Avon realised that they were standing on the summit of a mountain nowhere near the Federation outpost that they wanted to investigate.

i.imgur.com/DyiJhxi.jpg

‘Now see what you have done!’ Vila complained. ‘Tarrant warned you not to tinker with the teleport controls again.’
‘The teleport is working perfectly. The coordinates were wrong,’ Avon answered. ‘That outpost must be somewhere around.’
However, it took them an hour to descend from the mountain. Then the landscape suddenly changed.
‘Ah, a quarry! That’s more like it!’ Vila explaimed. ‘For some weird reason, I feel right at home in quarries.’

i.imgur.com/1YaAeZh.jpg

‘It’s not a quarry. It’s wet!“
Avon shuddered. ‘You know I don’t like watersports,’ he said.
When they moved on, the landscape became dry and a forest welcomed them but Avon was still not content.
‘What’s eating you?’ Vila asked. ‘There is no longer any danger of watersports!’
‘I like my quarries dry and safe,’ Avon answered. ‘Look at that! Does that look safe?’

i.imgur.com/nbgBBVm.jpg

Then they spotted some strange rock formations. (Ignore the people ... maybe they are just holograms simulating hordes of tourists to keep other people away!)

i.imgur.com/ug4GBd0.jpg

‘There are barred windows! And a bridge! This is some sort of installation!’ Vila said.

i.imgur.com/WrQRe0a.jpg

However, Avon remained sceptical. ‘Doesn’t look like a Federation outpost. More like some place of ritual worship.’
Nonetheless he ventured towards the site. The first thing they saw when they neared the rocks was an empty sarcophagus.

i.imgur.com/EOAht2n.jpg

That didn’t bode well. Was this the home world of the gold-skinned people they had encountered just a week before? Avon wanted to leave the place and look somewhere else but then they suddenly spotted a familiar sight.

i.imgur.com/N7wNU2S.jpg

‘Now that really looks like a Fed base,’ Avon said. ‘Maybe all this rock cloister stuff is just some sort of camouflage?’
‘But it seems to be no longer in service. This looks more like an industrial wasteland.’

i.imgur.com/PMo30YY.jpg

‘Most Federation outposts look like an industrial wasteland; maybe because those are the cheapest locations,’ Avon said.
‘I don’t like the look of it. Why should the Federation have given up this base? Something must have happened here,’ Vila insisted.
Suddenly they both had the feeling that there was someone behind them. To be more precise, something; something evil...
Slowly they turned around.

i.imgur.com/wWV4zHK.jpg

‘Told you there was something wrong,’ Vila said.

Travisina
Hugbot - brilliant! Grin

Cygnus Bazza
Top yarn, Hb!

M1 - could you do something similar with photos from your estate? Perhaps shots of the neolithic stone circle, the tied cottage, the secret tarn, the field of round barrows, the enchanted wood, the old boat moorings, the rye pasture in the lower field, the High Priestess's Folly, and the abandoned nucleated medieval settlement. That sort of thing. Just a suggestion.

Cygnus Bazza
Duplicate post - apologies. Got over-excited at the thought of the nucleated medieval settlement. Once a historian...

stormypetrel
Huggy GrinGrin I love it!

Travisina, our nearest Federation Security Complex (junior division) has an even bigger lock for Vila to practice on:

i.imgur.com/sdxmKMK.jpg

Typically, the only other human in the vicinity came round the corner just as I was taking the shot, and gave me the most peculiar look...

But wait- what’s this- perhaps I’m not the only one under unwanted observation...

i.imgur.com/1wS346f.jpg

“Avon? Avon, they’re looking at us. I don’t like it!”

Joe Dredd
said Vila, sheepishly.

Joe Dredd

I'm ditching all my kairopan just looking at that thing.

Where's me flamin' thong*?

* Yes, yes, the kind that goes on your foot.

stormypetrel
Well, having had a chance to sort out some photos from my supply run yesterday (all right, maybe not the first one):

The Liberator was in stationary orbit.
i.imgur.com/9QeumSo.jpg

The picture of the planet below was not prepossessing...
i.imgur.com/Bii3oLn.jpg

But Zen explained that it wasn’t all mud and rocks. In places they would have to avoid being sucked into the marsh.
i.imgur.com/SDCblTW.jpg

Blake, Avon, Cally and Vila teleported down anyway. The surroundings didn’t seem all that unfamiliar.
i.imgur.com/wM8sqms.jpg

Reassured, they climbed a rise ahead (rather squelchily. Some of Zen’s marsh was at the bottom of it.)
i.imgur.com/27mJyTQ.jpg

Only to see...
i.imgur.com/XWToca1.jpg

“Blake, you didn’t mention the underground surveillance units.”

“We’ll just have to be careful, that’s all.”

“I had no intention of being anything else.”

“Come on, then. That’s where we want to be, over there.”
i.imgur.com/6wsvAT2.jpg

Sure enough, the Federation installation was visible in the distance. They headed off, pursued by complaints.

“Speak for yourself; I’d rather be back on the Liberator. And why didn’t we come down a bit nearer? Wait... it’s trying to suck my boot off now... wait for me!”

* * * to be continued * * *

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.82 seconds
29,581,104 unique visits since 8th January 2014