Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Pyramids - 2nd April
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

I'm particularly enjoying Pyramids, because I managed to get to see the Tutenkahmen exhibition with Clareblues, a few days before everything shut down. It's such a glorious riff on Ancient Egypt - everything in the King Tut expo is in this book, turned up to 11 and turned round 90 degrees.

Bit of a spoiler alert there, Trav. Watch it!

Sorry :-(
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

One Spare Part
stormypetrel wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

[quote][url=http://www.blakes7online.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=3057&pid=164688#post_164688][b]M1795537

4?

Have you read Amazing Maurice?

No. Should I?

Yes yes yes! It is brilliant. I cried! And not just with laughter.

I dunno that I want to be made to cry. But Iíll keep an eye out.

I am very sentimental at times. I said it to express how brilliant he is at serious stuff as well as the funnies.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

High Priestess mode again: I love the way TP comes up with such brilliant names. Djelibeybi, fo instance. Anyone got any favourites?

Iíve only just got that oneGrinGrin
I think Iím liable to miss bits like that, because of the way I read. I canít break a word into component parts without an effort- so I donít. Cause Iím a lazy sod.

Sometimes it helps just to read them out loud.

Difficult to read silent 'p's
You're not sulking, I hope?

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

High Priestess mode again: I love the way TP comes up with such brilliant names. Djelibeybi, fo instance. Anyone got any favourites?

YOU BASTARD!

I won't take that personally.... Has anyone read ' TP's The Unadulterated Cat'. With cat names like 'Yeagerroffoutofityerbastard' - one of his finest.

When I write, I always have to have the right name and that is from reading authors like TP.

Me too - when I write, I struggle more with names than anything else. I've got a full length Jenna story that's been simmering for years because I just can't find the right name for an important character.

M1795537 OC Virn
One quite quickly begins to know what TP feels for (or against)... like war, and killing generally. Oh, and religious rituals, of course.

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

One quite quickly begins to know what TP feels for (or against)... like war, and killing generally. Oh, and religious rituals, of course.

These are recurring themes in all his books. 'Small Gods' was a revelation (no pun intended)

One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

YOU BASTARD!

I won't take that personally.... Has anyone read ' TP's The Unadulterated Cat'. With cat names like 'Yeagerroffoutofityerbastard' - one of his finest.

When I write, I always have to have the right name and that is from reading authors like TP.

Me too - when I write, I struggle more with names than anything else. I've got a full length Jenna story that's been simmering for years because I just can't find the right name for an important character.

I have spent time inventing names. I used to have a list which I would refer to in time of need.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I think Iím liable to miss bits like that, because of the way I read. I canít break a word into component parts without an effort- so I donít. Cause Iím a lazy sod.

Sometimes it helps to put my glasses on so the letters stop dancing... but if theyíre not within reach...

stormypetrel
One Spare Part wrote:

Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

YOU BASTARD!

I have spent time inventing names. I used to have a list which I would refer to in time of need.

I keep a dictionary of names and a road atlas. If you canít get a name out of one youíll get it out of the other.

One Spare Part
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

But it always feels well balanced. I don't feel preached at.

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

I try to harvest names from misc sources, including place names and road names. I once had a temp job in the NHS during which I had to send out letters to dozens of parents of overweight children in the county (don't ask), and made a note of interesting-sounding names. Actually, it was during that job that the Jenna story was conceived. But despite my lists, has been languishing due to lack of appropriate name for this character.

M1795537 OC Virn
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Sometimes it helps to put my glasses on so the letters stop dancing... but if theyíre not within reach...

You can get audio versions of most of his stuff. Besides - nothing wrong with slow.
Once read a whole SF 'short story' about a guy called Sloane and a race.,.... just so that the author could add the line 'Sloane's Teddy wins the race'.

One Spare Part
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I kept forgetting and read (in my mind) Djelibeybi as Djelibelli...

stormypetrel
One Spare Part wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Thatís a skill in itself. He sort of points out the ridiculousness of it all, rather than preaching, and it works much better.

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

That's right. It's done with heart and warmth and humour.

stormypetrel
One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Yep, my mind does the same correctionGrin

M1795537 OC Virn
Other people have trouble with inventing names. Try: https://www.name-...character/

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

You can get audio versions of most of his stuff. Besides - nothing wrong with slow.
Once read a whole SF 'short story' about a guy called Sloane and a race.,.... just so that the author could add the line 'Sloane's Teddy wins the race'.

Groan! Oops

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

That works, too!

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Other people have trouble with inventing names. Try: https://www.name-...character/

Thanks.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.99 seconds
28,911,935 unique visits since 8th January 2014