Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 1
littlesue

· Total Rebels: 1,237
· Newest Rebel: K9

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [39 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 186
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Pyramids - 2nd April
Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

High Priestess sounds pretty good. Do I get a badge? OK, I'm interested in Pratchett's use of similie - lots of things are 'like' things. While metaphors are lies, apparently. Any thoughts on that?

Well, I suppose if youíre introducing something odd, you have to explain it like something that isnít as odd, and then your readers wonít think itís odd. If you see what I mean.

I do, but Pratchett is particularly masterful at explaining odd things in a hilarious way. I should have bookmarked a few examples.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

M1795537 OC Virn
(Evil laughter) I was being provocative. OK, then, anyone fancy joining the Assassins Guild? I can see Avon fitting right in.
You're not sulking, I hope?

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I donít know what weíre supposed to do. Iíve never been in a book club before.

My RL book club involves first discussing the book and rating it marks out of 5. This is followed by coffee & cake and general gossip.

Same with my RG. Glad you mark out of 5, they thought I was weird for not wanting marks out of 10.

We do have half-marks, though - a score of eg 3.5 is not unheard of for a book that's not bad enough to be bad and not good enough to be good.

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I donít know what weíre supposed to do. Iíve never been in a book club before.

My RL book club involves first discussing the book and rating it marks out of 5. This is followed by coffee & cake and general gossip.

My eyes picked out the word Ďcakeí.

It's usually home-made, and fab. Sigh.

One Spare Part
Teppic reminded me of Vila
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

stormypetrel
I like climbing things, so Iíd like that bit of the Assassins Guild. But Iíd probably not be very good at it, because Iím so uncoordinated putting my anorak on is a spectator sport at home.
And thatís before we get to the killing people bit.

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

(Evil laughter) I was being provocative. OK, then, anyone fancy joining the Assassins Guild? I can see Avon fitting right in.

Hmm. I think their precision would appeal to Avon, but is he a natural born killer? Pre season 4, I mean. I think Cancer/Piri would probably fail the exams.

One Spare Part
I like how TP starts a book and you don't know what the sam hill is going on but you know you will at some point.

stormypetrel
One Spare Part wrote:

Why for?

M1795537 OC Virn
In the Guild, Cally could do well, too, if she was allowed to use her telepathy i.e.ignore the script ( for the most part)

Scoring the book? Out of 5 so far? 4

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

I like how TP starts a book and you don't know what the sam hill is going on but you know you will at some point.

This is still Early Pratchett (I think it's the 6th Discworld book) - and he spends a few pages introducing the concept of Discworld: how it's flat, stands on the back of 4 elephants standing on a galactic turtle etc. His later books don't bother with the introduction, as it's assumed that by now readers are familiar with it.
Edited by Travisina on 02 April 2020 20:04:17

M1795537 OC Virn
One Spare Part wrote:

Mostly, anyway.

stormypetrel
I donít know about scoring it, because itís the first grown-up Pratchett Iíve read, so comparisons are a bit thin on the ground.

One Spare Part
stormypetrel wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Why for?

He gets into the guild knowing he doesn't want to kill anyone but you also know he could kill if the right moment came up.

M1795537 OC Virn
stormypetrel wrote:

I donít know about scoring it, because itís the first grown-up Pratchett Iíve read, so comparisons are a bit thin on the ground.

Just score it on what you feel so far. Which non-adult TP's have you read?

stormypetrel
One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Why for?

He gets into the guild knowing he doesn't want to kill anyone but you also know he could kill if the right moment came up.

Ah. Yes, I get you. I think a lot of people would be like that, really, donít you?

M1795537 OC Virn
So we know about the turtle, but he hasn't said much about the disc-ness of Discworld yet. he assumes we know what the Circle Sea is all about.

Travisina
Scoring - I'll give it a 4.5.
I've not read it for years (possibly not since it came out in -gulp!- 1989) and I'd forgotten how laugh-out-loud funny it is. It may not have the depth of subsequent books, but by heck I need some laughs at the moment, and this certainly is providing them.

One Spare Part
[img][/img]
stormypetrel wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Why for?

Ah. Yes, I get you. I think a lot of people would be like that, really, donít you?

Nit sure. Don't forget, if you fail the exam no one sees you again. Look at poor Cheesewright.

M1795537 OC Virn
RE. Vila and killing: Teppic doesn't want to either.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.69 seconds
28,326,115 unique visits since 8th January 2014