Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,249
· Newest Rebel: Teleport

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Pyramids - 2nd April
stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I donít know about scoring it, because itís the first grown-up Pratchett Iíve read, so comparisons are a bit thin on the ground.

Just score it on what you feel so far. Which non-adult TP's have you read?

The Carpet People (at an age where my friend and I drove my mother insane shouting ďHelloĒ into the carpet at intervals for some time afterwards, just in case we had Carpet People in the house) and The Wee Free Men. Oh, and a graphic novel of Mort.

4?

One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:

Scoring - I'll give it a 4.5.
I've not read it for years (possibly not since it came out in -gulp!- 1989) and I'd forgotten how laugh-out-loud funny it is. It may not have the depth of subsequent books, but by heck I need some laughs at the moment, and this certainly is providing them.

It is brilliantly written. You can never describe TP as a bad writer but this isn't a rib tickler for me.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

stormypetrel
One Spare Part wrote:

[img][/img]
stormypetrel wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Teppic reminded me of Vila

Why for?

He gets into the guild knowing he doesn't want to kill anyone but you also know he could kill if the right moment came up.

Ah. Yes, I get you. I think a lot of people would be like that, really, donít you?

Nit sure. Don't forget, if you fail the exam no one sees you again. Look at poor Cheesewright.

Iíve worked in places like that...

One Spare Part
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I donít know about scoring it, because itís the first grown-up Pratchett Iíve read, so comparisons are a bit thin on the ground.

The Carpet People (at an age where my friend and I drove my mother insane shouting ďHelloĒ into the carpet at intervals for some time afterwards, just in case we had Carpet People in the house) and The Wee Free Men. Oh, and a graphic novel of Mort.

4?

Have you read Amazing Maurice?

M1795537 OC Virn
High Priestess mode again: I love the way TP comes up with such brilliant names. Djelibeybi, fo instance. Anyone got any favourites?
You're not sulking, I hope?

One Spare Part
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

RE. Vila and killing: Teppic doesn't want to either.

That is what I meant. My use of personal pronouns was unclear then.

stormypetrel
One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

4?

No. Should I?

One Spare Part
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

High Priestess mode again: I love the way TP comes up with such brilliant names. Djelibeybi, fo instance. Anyone got any favourites?

YOU BASTARD!

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

All the names are inspired. They're clever and funny. Djelibeybi is great, as is Ptraci. However, in some of his earlier books, I get the feeling that TP's trying too hard to be funny. I think 'Pyramids' is borderline - mostly it feels naturally funny, but I could be doing with fewer cameladric equations.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

One Spare Part
stormypetrel wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

4?

No. Should I?

Yes yes yes! It is brilliant. I cried! And not just with laughter.

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Iíve only just got that oneGrinGrin
I think Iím liable to miss bits like that, because of the way I read. I canít break a word into component parts without an effort- so I donít. Cause Iím a lazy sod.

One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

All the names are inspired. They're clever and funny. Djelibeybi is great, as is Ptraci. However, in some of his earlier books, I get the feeling that TP's trying too hard to be funny. I think 'Pyramids' is borderline - mostly it feels naturally funny, but I could be doing with fewer cameladric equations.

I know what you are saying but...I liked the camel bits.

M1795537 OC Virn
One Spare Part wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

YOU BASTARD!

I won't take that personally.... Has anyone read ' TP's The Unadulterated Cat'. With cat names like 'Yeagerroffoutofityerbastard' - one of his finest.

Travisina
I'm particularly enjoying Pyramids, because I managed to get to see the Tutenkahmen exhibition with Clareblues, a few days before everything shut down. It's such a glorious riff on Ancient Egypt - everything in the King Tut expo is in this book, turned up to 11 and turned round 90 degrees.

stormypetrel
One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

4?

No. Should I?

Yes yes yes! It is brilliant. I cried! And not just with laughter.

I dunno that I want to be made to cry. But Iíll keep an eye out.

One Spare Part
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I think Iím liable to miss bits like that, because of the way I read. I canít break a word into component parts without an effort- so I donít. Cause Iím a lazy sod.

I read it wondering if I was missing some of the jokes in the names. I had to read Iesope a few times to get Aesop. D'oh!

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

I'm particularly enjoying Pyramids, because I managed to get to see the Tutenkahmen exhibition with Clareblues, a few days before everything shut down. It's such a glorious riff on Ancient Egypt - everything in the King Tut expo is in this book, turned up to 11 and turned round 90 degrees.

Bit of a spoiler alert there, Trav. Watch it!

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

YOU BASTARD!

I won't take that personally.... Has anyone read ' TP's The Unadulterated Cat'. With cat names like 'Yeagerroffoutofityerbastard' - one of his finest.

I havenít read it, but I know my mum had a kitten as a child and her father claimed it would think its name was ĎMindmenylonsí.

One Spare Part
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

YOU BASTARD!

When I write, I always have to have the right name and that is from reading authors like TP.

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Sometimes it helps just to read them out loud.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.14 seconds
29,583,846 unique visits since 8th January 2014