Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 14

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Is Orac really an 'It'?
Cygnus Bazza
Firstly, apologies if a similar topic is already buried somewhere in the archives, and all that stuff.

Does anyone else find it jarring whenever Orac is referred to in B7 as 'it'? Bearing in mind how much humans love to assign gender to all manner of things, up to and including spacecraft and even the Creator Him/Her/Itself, it seems a little 'un-human' to do so. What does it tell us about the characters who perceive Orac in this way? Is it a strength or a weakness? We all know Orac's really a boy who'd leave the toilet seat up if he could.

One Spare Part
No, Orac is an it. A man made object who has no human compassion...hang on, who does that remind me of?
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Travisina
I think only Avon insisted on referring to Orac as 'it' (likewise Zen). The others used 'he' for both. For example:

GAN (in Orac) - Let's switch him off and go back to work.

VILA (in Terminal) - He's dying. Zen is dying.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

JustBrad
Is artificial intelligence sentient?

It's a question barely touched on in television sci fi until the 80's, where Star Trek pushed, and continues to push, the definition.

Blake's 7 asks the question, but never really explores it. Is that where ST:TNG and Picard got the idea?
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:

I think only Avon insisted on referring to Orac as 'it' (likewise Zen). The others used 'he' for both. For example:

GAN (in Orac) - Let's switch him off and go back to work.

VILA (in Terminal) - He's dying. Zen is dying.

Now Zen...He IS a He!
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Joe Dredd
Travisina wrote:

I think only Avon insisted on referring to Orac as 'it' (likewise Zen).

Even Paul Darrow thought Avon should call Orac an 'it' (he says so in one of the interview-type things at the end of a Big Finish story), and we know that Avon made it clear in the series that Zen is just a machine.

That said, Peter Anghelides came and reminded us several years ago that Avon referred to Orac as 'he' several times throughout the show's run. He turned his reply into a post on his blog, so you can still read it here: It's just a machine.

Personally I feel it is a case of writerly inconsistencies and that Avon should always call Orac an 'it'. The others, being less... precise, can call Orac 'he' or 'him' as much as they like. It is, however, consistent with the series for Avon to sometimes refer to Orac as a 'he' or 'him'.

Joe Dredd
Cygnus Bazza wrote:
We all know Orac's really a boy who'd leave the toilet seat up if he could.

Umm...?

rojkerr1
Peter is a friend of mine, he published some of my fave stories back in the Frontier worlds days, including A man called Blake, that eventually led to Mark of Kane.

Joe Dredd
Funny you should say, DT. I was looking at your FW Shadow novelisation this morning and noticed one of the people thanked or dedicated to was "Lucy Z". Wouldn't that have been (Dr!) Lucy Zinkiewicz by any chance? I was so sad to hear of her passing a couple of years ago. I still remember when a friend of ours, Ian Gunn, created 'Zinkiezine' for her.

Cygnus Bazza
Joe Dredd wrote:

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Umm...?

This isn't really the place to go into the whys, wherefores and therefores of water-closet etiquette, except to say that, among other crimes of a lavatorial nature, male fallibility in this field of behaviour does not untypically include leaving seats positioned vertically.

Much more importantly, it's not just Avon who thinks Orac's an 'it'. So too does littlesue in her latest ficlet! I can only conclude that Avon has some kind of Svengali-like hold over her and her brain patterns...Grin

rojkerr1
she was a friend, I knew her when she was going out with Paul Cornell. They stayed up in Yorkshire with me a few times. V sad. D

rojkerr1
I walked up to the white horse on the hillside with her once, many years ago. remember that

littlesue
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Joe Dredd wrote:

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Umm...?

This isn't really the place to go into the whys, wherefores and therefores of water-closet etiquette, except to say that, among other crimes of a lavatorial nature, male fallibility in this field of behaviour does not untypically include leaving seats positioned vertically.

Much more importantly, it's not just Avon who thinks Orac's an 'it'. So too does littlesue in her latest ficlet! I can only conclude that Avon has some kind of Svengali-like hold over her and her brain patterns...Grin

If only.......Grin
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
Ensor was a "he", and Orac has aspects of Ensor's personality. So it could be argued that Orac is a "he".

Zen is rather more gender neutral.

Grade Four Ignorant
What Orac is is a rat in a box.

JustBrad
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

What Orac is is a rat in a box.

Indeed. Vila would be proud of you. Grin

I suspect 'rat' is some sort of Delta Grade slang in this context.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

Grade Four Ignorant
JustBrad wrote:I suspect 'rat' is some sort of Delta Grade slang in this context.

I figured that he meant it quite literally. Orac is a nasty piece of work at the best of times.

rojkerr1
he's a bald dwarf

Anniew
I think the question would have to be whether Orac ever does anything that couldn’t be explained by his primary programming. His reluctance to answer a question or to follow an instruction could be explained by his primary programming being to collect and analyse data and these tasks impede the ability to do that.

More difficult to explain, if it/he is not sentient is why he orders Slave to stop interrupting a ‘superior system’ and why the sand on Virn affects it in the same way it affects the humans .

That said, I always think of Orac as ‘it ‘-as if it is sentient it feels to me that it’s sentient in an alien fashion - not quite human in its responses.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Travisina
rojkerr1 wrote:

he's a bald dwarf

Price for the reference to DotG!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.15 seconds
28,936,356 unique visits since 8th January 2014