Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,239
· Newest Rebel: SaruwatariKaito

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [39 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 186
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Pratchett Re-read
One Spare Part
Sounds good to me.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

stormypetrel
I’m up for that too.

One Spare Part
stormypetrel wrote:

I’m up for that too.

Better top up the creme de menthe then...Grin

stormypetrel
One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I’m up for that too.

It’s not creme de menthe!!!
Anyway, don’t you think my comments’ll be random enough sober? Grin

rojkerr1
romulan ale

M1795537 OC Virn
One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I’m up for that too.

Surely it was Jungle Juice everyone drank in B7? Lovely green cordial. Long since disappeared, more's the pity.
You're not sulking, I hope?

M1795537 OC Virn
So - do we have a date? Thursday, 2nd April, 7.45 GMT, for your comments on 'Pyramids' by Terry Pratchett. Just like we do in a rewatch.
Maybe we should limit ourselves to commenting on only the first few chapters rather than the whole thing? Just an idea.

Spoiler alert: if you don't have a copy by then, there's a fairly comprehensive description on Wikipedia - that manages to cut out ALL the humour. Reading that might defeat the object.

I know you spent ages rehashing the Rebellion Roundup page, Travisina, but could you add this? You know you want to.

Looking forward to our first night!

One Spare Part
[img][/img]
stormypetrel wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I’m up for that too.

It’s not creme de menthe!!!
Anyway, don’t you think my comments’ll be random enough sober? Grin

There's always room for more daftness!Pfft

One Spare Part
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I’m up for that too.

Surely it was Jungle Juice everyone drank in B7? Lovely green cordial. Long since disappeared, more's the pity.

Perhaps it was that drink Ed Norton dropped his gamma irradiated blood into...

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

So - do we have a date? Thursday, 2nd April, 7.45 GMT, for your comments on 'Pyramids' by Terry Pratchett. Just like we do in a rewatch.
Maybe we should limit ourselves to commenting on only the first few chapters rather than the whole thing? Just an idea.

Spoiler alert: if you don't have a copy by then, there's a fairly comprehensive description on Wikipedia - that manages to cut out ALL the humour. Reading that might defeat the object.

I know you spent ages rehashing the Rebellion Roundup page, Travisina, but could you add this? You know you want to.

Looking forward to our first night!

1. Date & Time confirmed
2. When we start, we can ascertain how far everyone's got in the book and decide how many chapters to discuss (or even the whole book, if everyone's finished)
3. I think each book (I'm assuming we're going to do more than one) should have its own dedicated thread, similar to the episode rewatches. If you'd like to initiate the thread for Pyramids, I'll be happy to link to it on the Roundup. Unless people feel the Roundup should only be for B7 activity?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Joe Dredd
Travisina wrote:
Unless people feel the Roundup should only be for B7 activity?

No, it's a great idea. Let people know what we're doing and that there's an activity they can join in.

Having separate threads for each book is a splendid (and sensible) idea.

M1795537 OC Virn
Joe Dredd wrote:

Travisina wrote:
Unless people feel the Roundup should only be for B7 activity?

No, it's a great idea. Let people know what we're doing and that there's an activity they can join in.

Having separate threads for each book is a splendid (and sensible) idea.

I'm with Joe on this. At least for the first one. If people do object, we can remove it from the Roundup, surely?
Separate threads, yes.

stormypetrel
I’m told my copy should arrive by 1st April. Luckily I’m a quick reader...

And yes, I don’t see why it shouldn’t go on the Roundup.

M1795537 OC Virn
CORRECTION!

I'd forgotten the whole of the UK shifts 15 degrees of longitude to the east this weekend and enters a new time zone.
In an unusual if not unprecedented move, this Federation Officer wishes to apologise and to point out that the re-read on the 2nd of April is timed for 7.45pm BST.

One Spare Part
Yippee! My copy of Pyramids has just arrived, a whole 2 days before expected. And it looks like I have another week off so, even with my snail's pace, moving finger from word to word style of reading, I am good to go at whatever time we are set for.

M1795537 OC Virn
Pyramids

For anyone new to Terry Pratchett, the majority of his stories are set in ‘Discworld’, an alternative universe. There, things that we know as mythical or magical on Earth tend to be real. It’s often described as ‘fantasy’, but it’s a lot more than that. In some ways, it’s more like Charles Dickens. Pratchett asks ‘what if?’ which is what I believe real SF is all about.

Discworld stories remind me of Blake’s Seven, because in both, we discover people not unlike ourselves making the best of the circumstances in which they find themselves.
In the ‘Discworld’, those circumstances cover a variety of topics we’ve encountered here on Earth: for instance, in ‘Pyramids’, Pratchett explores somewhere a lot like Egypt. For instance, is it true that pyramids can preserve things? And what are camels thinking all day?
In this first Pratchett re-read, we discover the answers. Well, Pratchett’s answers, anyway.

'Pyramids' also brings to mind my favourite John Hegley poem:

When Michelle Pfeiffer goes to the loo
She doesn’t make a noise like me or you,
She doesn’t make a noise like you or me,
‘Cos Michelle Pfeiffer has a silent ‘p’.

Looking forward to hearing your comments on Thursday.
Edited by M1795537 OC Virn on 30 March 2020 12:51:37

Cygnus Bazza
This is an exemplary Pratchett thread.

Travisina
Please note that the discussion thread for Pyramids is HERE
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
28,408,397 unique visits since 8th January 2014