Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 17

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,243
· Newest Rebel: Dan Hadley

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Does Blake like women?
One Spare Part
JustBrad wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

If you want him to be a baddie with a goodie overcoat, you only need to take a look at the morality of his decision to destroy Star One.

Or planting a bomb on the Ortega.

Correct.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

rojkerr1
definitely not.

or threatening to destroy that surgeons hands

M1795537 OC Virn
I agree with One Spare Part on this: Blake is clearly damaged goods. Innocent of the Federation charges and probably scarred in terms of trust. His 'cause' is at least partly revenge-driven, and that's not good for any relationship. He likes women, because he's a bloke, after all, and it's the 70's, but can't afford to get involved beyond friendship level. Also because he's so focused he's probably pretty boring in terms of things to talk about once the girl's novelty / hero worship has worn off.
I think that would have happened with Jenna if Star One hadn't split them up. Cally obviously has him sussed from the start, and keeps her distance. Tyce was weird anyway: they were just childhood friends, really, but maybe she followed his career (at a distance) and went for his Freedom Fighter image.....

Good grief. I had no idea I thought all this until I wrote it. Thanks for the inspiration, folks!
You're not sulking, I hope?

Ulera
One Spare Part wrote:

You make a lot of assumptions, daro2096. Who says Blake had no other relationships? Who even suggested his relationship with Inga was sexual? Given that they are of an age, so what if it was? No suggestion of a pervy interest is ever suggested except by the people who wanted to frame Blake once and for all. As it has been pointed out, the man has been tortured and brainwashed, had practically all of his friends murdered...no wonder he's got a one track mind.

Yes I agree OSP, Blake is not my favourite crew member, but I do not in any way see him as a perv. The charges were completely fabricated. Also, it's clear that Jenna is attracted to him from the start, I feel she would have sensed at once if there was any truth at all in the allegations, she is not someone who could easily be fooled. Looking at the subtext etc, I am certain that Blake & Jenna at the very least had a little fling Wink - Jenna's overt display of jealousy tells me that.

Anniew
Blake says that all his friends have been killed and he cant afford to lose another. Knowing all that, then committing to an intimate relationship would be nye on impossible. Hes the Federations most wanted. A man attacking as he runs. Not the best basis for a love affair.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

rojkerr1
Blake is my fave character, he is the heart and tortured soul of the series, from the very beginning his driven but flawed portrayal is what drew me to the show, and when he reappeared it was as if the series had found its centre again. Avon is Avon, but is is Blakes 7.

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

Blake is my fave character, he is the heart and tortured soul of the series, from the very beginning his driven but flawed portrayal is what drew me to the show, and when he reappeared it was as if the series had found its centre again. Avon is Avon, but is is Blakes 7.

Rojkerr...I concur. Blake made things happen, whether you liked it or not. The crew did lose their focus without him. By the time they realised they had to do something to fight the Feds credibly, it was too late - see Warlord.

JustBrad
rojkerr1 wrote:

Indeed. While I can't say I like Blake, he is a fascinating, and at the time, unique character, and all the more fascinating not in spite of his flaws, but because of them. And that was the point. Terry Nation didn't want us to like Blake, or any of the characters. He wanted us to watch, and think, "Wow."

At the same time, kudos to the writers and to Paul Darrow. How many shows can lose the title character and still carry on?
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

Ulera
rojkerr1 wrote:

I noticed in a recent poll that very few ranked him as their fave B7 character. And I don't think fave has to mean they are necessarily likeable. There are other B7 characters I find more interesting.

JustBrad
Ulera wrote:

rojkerr1 wrote:

I noticed in a recent poll that very few ranked him as their fave B7 character. And I don't think fave has to mean they are necessarily likeable. There are other B7 characters I find more interesting.

To paraphrase.

Where are all the good guys?
You may be looking at them.
What a depressing thought.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

rojkerr1
exactly, good guys wear black, or grey at least

One Spare Part
[img][/img]
Ulera wrote:

rojkerr1 wrote:

Ulera that is interesting in itself. I find Blake deeply interesting. We know more about him than all the other characters and yet...he is still a mystery. His motivation, personality , whatever...we could talk about him for years and years...

Grade Four Ignorant
Given the two actors in question are only a couple of years apart in age, I don't think there was anything inappropriate going on between the two characters during his first visit to Exbar.

I can't see a 14 year old Inga and a 17 year old Blake being more than kissing cousins with an innocent summer romance. I don't think it was ever consumated.

Blake during the timeline of the series doesn't have time for romantic pursuit. He is committed, body and soul, to his campaign against the Federation. He doesn't have any other hobbies or interests and it seems that it's only under pressure from the rest of the crew that he takes some downtime.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
IMHO Blake may well have had prior relationships but that was secondary to his life as a freedom fighter. His passion for his cause becomes everything.

When he is first caught I can see the Federation not only wiping his memories of his acts, his thoughts and his desires. Any potential partner would have been swept up and destroyed as we were lead to believe Anna Grant was for Avon's crime.

As his memories start to return, I think he distanced himself to protect any potential romantic other so they could not be u sed as a weapon to hurt him or his cause. Nor would he allow himself to get close in case it was a honey-trap situation.

The three children he was alleged to have abused were shown in canon to have had implanted memories. And after the first few episodes those charges were never mentioned. By then the Federation needed something far more visible to blame Blake for, if they were prepared to admit he had escaped their kangaroo court.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

daro2096
Was the fact that he was falsely convicted of such crimes was never mentioned again after the 2nd episode in the series an order from higher up in the BBC?

You would expect the Federation would broadcast his supposed crimes all over the galaxy. Why would they keep it secret?

JustBrad
daro2096 wrote:

Was the fact that he was falsely convicted of such crimes was never mentioned again after the 2nd episode in the series an order from higher up in the BBC?

You would expect the Federation would broadcast his supposed crimes all over the galaxy. Why would they keep it secret?

I think it had more to do with television in the 1970's.

No VCR's or DVR's.
No Internet blogs.
No you tube videos 'Things you missed in this week's episode of B7.'

If they brought it up again, they would have to recap all of 'The Way Back' or risk confusing any new viewers just tuning in.
B7 was one of the first shows to even attempt a long story arc (the hunt for Control in season 2). The theory being that in an age before VCR's and with limited or no reruns, they wanted to make the show as simple as possible to follow.

Give B7 credit for bringing up the Del Grant / Anna Grant / Kerr Avon plot line in season 3.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

One Spare Part
Also, I think because knowledge of Blake as a freedom fighter was so widely believed, no-one (who mattered) would believe that he could commit such heinous crimes. They didn't believe Blake when he recanted, did they? They knew the Feds were up to no good. And anyway, the Feds would have had to spend a long time trying to persuade a lot of people of his guilt. Too difficult/time consuming/waste of effort. So they just went for a show of Fed strength in killing him and succeeded finally.

M1795537 OC Virn
B7 certainly explored places other shows didn't. Was it the first series to kill off the lead character and still go on with him in the title?
Or to replace a regular character with a completely different person not looking remotely like the original and hope nobody noticed?
(Dr Who reincarnating doesn't count. In fact, overall, DW isn't even in the same league.)
You're not sulking, I hope?

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
One Spare Part wrote:

Also, I think because knowledge of Blake as a freedom fighter was so widely believed, no-one (who mattered) would believe that he could commit such heinous crimes. They didn't believe Blake when he recanted, did they? They knew the Feds were up to no good. And anyway, the Feds would have had to spend a long time trying to persuade a lot of people of his guilt. Too difficult/time consuming/waste of effort. So they just went for a show of Fed strength in killing him and succeeded finally.

From a Federation viewpoint, the debacle at GP was even better than the Federation killing Blake. Blake's supposed lieutenant was the one who gunned him down in cold blood.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Joe Dredd
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:
From a Federation viewpoint, the debacle at GP was even better than the Federation killing Blake. Blake's supposed lieutenant was the one who gunned him down in cold blood.

That's exactly what the Federation wants us to think happened!

"Your finger was on the trigger. You killed him."

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.69 seconds
28,870,280 unique visits since 8th January 2014