Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,244
· Newest Rebel: paulboy

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [41 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 188
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Feb 2020 Ficlet Challenge
Anniew
Great part two, Ganminime, and Little Sue, as always, very entertaining with a fantastic illustration.

“What’s to stop him hacking the computer and rigging the vote in his favour?” Vila Restal, pop promoter, who’d had a hit ten years ago with the girl band, The Bouncy Mounties, but was now considered a bit of a has-been by the kids, took a swig of his creme de menthe and soda and cast an anxious look at the rather good looking man in black sitting apart from the others, studying a piece of paper with intense ferocity.

“That’s illegal isn’t it?” Olag Gan, former heavyweight champion, rather slow on the uptake following one blow to the head too many, and now forbidden to box on medical grounds, looked puzzled. “Who is he anyway?” He, Vila and two other contestants were sitting in the lounge area at the seaplane terminal underneath a neon sign that flashed The Curse of Cygnus at regular intervals. All four were beginning to have second thoughts about having allowed their agents to sign them up for the show.

“Kerr Avon.The bloke that started Kumquat.”

“He started Kumquat? Must be worth a fortune. The Kumquat watch is brilliant.” Roj Blake, a Celebrity Chef, whose popularity had waned somewhat after his soufflés failed to rise during an episode of Blake’s Baking and he had thrown a wooden spoon at the camera in frustration, gazed with open admiration at the seated figure.

“Kumquat lost a packet on them. The board voted him off two years ago. It’s rumoured his girl friend has taken over running the company.” Jenna Stannis unobtrusively hitched her skirt a little higher. She liked burly men with curls. And cakes.

“What’s he doing here, then?”

“Reputation rehab, I’d guess. Two years of drunken scandals and he can’t even get a job as an finance advisor on day time telly. If he wins this, doors could open again.”

“Like the rest of us then.” Vila downed his glass and reached for another. Jenna frowned, contemplating yet another year knocking around the faded celebrity circuit, hoping to be cast as something other than eye candy.

“Make the most of that,” she advised, nodding at Vila’s glass. “There won’t be any booze on Cygnus. It’s a rough island.”

Day Two on Cygnus. Most of the inmates are indisposed, but a small group has gathered by the fire pit. Kerr Avon has been called to the diary hut.

Blake knelt down gathering a handful of dried moss which he piled on the ground. He then selected two stones and began bashing them together to create a spark - indicating to his fellow contestants that they should do the same. Under cover of the noise they created, he asked softly:

“Are you with me?”

Jenna nodded enthusiastically. “I’m in. That camera man insists on filming my legs,” she whispered. “ I may have started my career as Miss London, but now I’m an actress. I deserve some respect. And the loo facilities!” They all shuddered.

“God yes, I’m in too,” Vila agreed. “Fermented berries are no substitute for booze.”

“And nobody warned me I’d have to find my own food. You’re a great cook Blake, but I can’t face another meal of toasted maggots. What’s your plan?” Gan bashed away vigorously, as he contemplated supper.

“We take over the supply plane when it docks. But first we’re going to need a computer expert to knock out the surveillance system. “

“Oh no,” said Vila.

The door of the diary room opened with a bang. Kerr Avon emerged, scowling. His agents hadn’t warned him that reducing one of the idiots with whom he had to share this hell hole to tears, would result in a loss of privileges. Apparently the cretin was an ageing Gladiator, whatever that was, and crying on camera was bad for his image.

He wouldn’t have minded losing his bread ration: he’d already done a deal with one of the helpers who brought it to the camp, and had a private stash of Bath Oliver biscuits, with a promise of Stilton to go with them, in return for the latest kumquat phone. The loss of his note book and pencil was a deprivation of a different magnitude.

So when Roj Blake approached him with a plan to take over the supply plane and effect an escape, he rather surprisingly agreed to, “muck in”, as the hearty oaf put it.

Knocking out the surveillance system was simple. The capture of the plane proceeded smoothly. Of course there was only room for three passengers, something Blake hadn’t factored in to his plan, but fortunately both Vila and Gan had succumbed to the Curse of Cygnus at the time and were too preoccupied to care,

When it landed, Jenna gave the airport personnel the co-ordinates to pick up Blake, assuming he’d survived. What did he expect after his high handed insistence that they jettisoned the plane’s cargo and went back for the others? Avon reckoned he’d more than discharged his debt to the man by dropping him, and a life raft, off in what the plane’s inboard computer assured him was safe water.

The publicity their return to London engendered was gratifying, and more than guaranteed that new, and lucrative, career opportunities would await.

“No”, he assured the reporters, as Jenna preened and posed in the flashing lights, “I have no intention of getting married. Ms Stannis and I are just, very, good friends.”

Later.

Vila Restall surprised himself by being crowned, the King of Cygnus. He and Gan used the prize money to establish a string of musical gymnasiums.

Roj Blake has just finished recording a cookery programme, Wild Food and How to Survive it,featuring ten innovative ways to serve maggots.

Jenna Stannis secured a starring role in a tv series, Liberation described by its creator as, ‘Bear Grylls takes on space’. Unfortunately, despite the early promise of her role, she has ended up as eye candy.

Kerr Avon? Well he has been busy developing Quince, a company that so far has outstripped Kumquat in technological innovation, thanks to the clever programming of the aphone to give survival tips. He has noted with relish, that Anna Grant, the head of Kumquat, has recently been sacked for improper use of company funds. Information about her wrong doing was supplied by an anonymous whistle blower, who has since retired with a comfortable pension. Kerr Avon wishes it known, that anyone suggesting a connection between him and this person will be sued.
Edited by Anniew on 19 February 2020 12:03:07
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

GanMiniMe
Anniew, that was really funny! Another one where Vila comes out on top! I get the feeling you were grinning while writing this one...

‘She loved burly men with curls. And cakes.’ LOL!!!

Anniew
Lust isn’t an emotion that Cally understands. She can feel it in those around her but not in herself. Jenna’s secret lust for admiration: in what miserable childhood was that forged? What makes a Goddess preen herself before men with half her skill and demand they notice her? She raids the wardrobe room avidly and pouts when Blake responds to other women.

Why does Gan lust after violence? Avon and Vila after shiny things? Even Blake, on the surface the most generous of men, lusts after power. He may want it to right the world’s wrongs, but the process of acquiring it demands he rides rough shod over the wishes of others.

It’s a human thing, she concludes, a weakness.

But then she remembers her quest to seek companions for her death. Perhaps she understands lust too well.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

stormypetrel
littlesue wrote:

GanMiniMe wrote:

Lol, Littlesue! But how did Avon come to be dragged through a hedge backwards and by whom? I really want to know!!! And nothing to show for it but bottled water? That has to sting...

As I've said, I never watched any of these reality shows so I've no idea who or what dragged Avon through a hedge backwards!!!Grin

Come on; spill. Precisely how many Avon ladies were waiting by the hedge for their moment?Grin

stormypetrel
Annie, I think I have identified the original reality show which has been transplanted to Cygnus. Grin And your latest one is short, but deep. I can imagine Cally wondering about the others like that.

littlesue
stormypetrel wrote:

littlesue wrote:

GanMiniMe wrote:

Lol, Littlesue! But how did Avon come to be dragged through a hedge backwards and by whom? I really want to know!!! And nothing to show for it but bottled water? That has to sting...

As I've said, I never watched any of these reality shows so I've no idea who or what dragged Avon through a hedge backwards!!!Grin

Come on; spill. Precisely how many Avon ladies were waiting by the hedge for their moment?Grin

That would be telling!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.33 seconds
28,941,233 unique visits since 8th January 2014