Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,210
· Newest Rebel: Dave

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [38 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [25 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [27 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
11% [20 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 177
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
A few memories of Paul Darrow in Cambridge, 30th October 1981
Cygnus Bazza
As mentioned in my 'hello' post on the 'Introduce Yourself' thread, I had the enormous pleasure to be in the audience when Paul Darrow came and gave an excellent talk to a bunch of B7 enthusiasts in the surroundings of Newnham College, Cambridge, a mere 39 years ago. Well, I say 'talk' - it was basically a fascinating and extremely entertaining Q&A session. I'm delighted the transcript is still available - it brought back some lovely memories as I devoured every word!

Were any other forum members there? If so, it would be great to compare notes and see if my memories of the event are as reliable as I think they are! The main things that still stick in my mind are:

1) How crowded the room was. It was pretty much jam-packed and I remember having to sit on the floor right down the front - a great vantage point, of course!

2) How PD seemed genuinely surprised, delighted and touched at just how many people turned up for the event. I got the distinct impression he hadn't been expecting such a level of interest.

3) How funny he was. Great stories, candid opinions, enlightening observations - the time absolutely flew by.

4) How he built up expectations for the final episode, but without giving the game away and leaving us to go away thinking that there would DEFINITELY be another series! (Or at least I did!)

A magical evening!
Edited by Cygnus Bazza on 22 February 2020 19:32:22

Cygnus Bazza
Excuse the 'bump' - still hoping someone who was also at this event will stumble on this thread .

Travisina
I wasn't there, but it sounds like a wonderful event!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Cygnus Bazza
It was amazing! I got the powerful impression at the time that the incredible warmth and affection which B7 engendered in its fans was only just starting to dawn on PD. I thought he looked quite shocked by the number of people that turned up and was a bit 'thrown' by our level of enthusiasm. The transcript I mentioned is here, on the old Hermit site*: http://hermit.org/b7/whoswho/PaulD/Sidgwick1.html

* Sorry - don't know how to turn it into a clickable link.

Travisina
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

It was amazing! I got the powerful impression at the time that the incredible warmth and affection which B7 engendered in its fans was only just starting to dawn on PD. I thought he looked quite shocked by the number of people that turned up and was a bit 'thrown' by our level of enthusiasm. The transcript I mentioned is here, on the old Hermit site*: http://hermit.org/b7/whoswho/PaulD/Sidgwick1.html

* Sorry - don't know how to turn it into a clickable link.

Here you go: Transcript
Wow, I've never read that before - it's brilliant! Kudos to whoever did the transcript.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Anniew
This is LOVELY. Thanks for directing me to it.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Mrs_Underhill
Adding my thanks for pointing out those tape transcripts, I'm on a tape #2 now and it's such a great read. I recognize many quotes from there which I've seen elsewhere: like relationship between Blake and Avon, whether Avon was a psychopath etc.
So thankful to those who transcribed those tapes, it's such a treasure now.

Cygnus Bazza
My absolute pleasure! Can't believe it was nearly 40 years ago. When I re-read the text, I really feel as if I can hear PD's inimitable voice echoing in my ears! Wonder if they can somehow make use of the transcript at 'Forever Avon'? Not sure how. (Though I might print a copy off and use it as my autograph book for the day!)

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.27 seconds
26,827,765 unique visits since 8th January 2014