Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,238
· Newest Rebel: Philco

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [39 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [27 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [28 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [30 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [23 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 186
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
42nd Anniversary Rewatch - A3 Cygnus Alpha
trevor travis
The episode: Albert Three – Cygnus Alpha (Carry On SHOUTING)
The date: Tuesday, January 21st, 2019
The time: 7.45pm UK time

In which BRIAN BLESSED shouts a lot, Zen introduces himself, Gan gets a snog, and God is called Neil.

Episode in a word: Religion.
Character to cheer: Lord Vargas – I realise that technically he’s a baddie, but who cares? And it’s B7, so the lines between good and bad are blurred anyway.
Character to boo: Blake, when he deceives Jenna and Avon. Not for the last time.
Recognisable Face: Pamela Salem (Kara) has been in loads of stuff – Doctor Who, EastEnders and James Bond for starters.
Best line: “GORDON’S ALIVE!” Whoops, wrong show. OK, lets’s go for: BLAKE: “Handgun?” AVON: “It's a bit elaborate for a toothpick.”

JustBrad
i.imgur.com/O1NB1Ta.png
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

GanMiniMe
The first time I saw this episode and Mr. Blessed appeared I spun round to Mr. GanMiniMe, pointing at the screen with my chin on the floor.

“Yes, I know it’s Brian Blessed,” he replied calmly.

Probably the best (and shoutiest) death in the whole series.

One Spare Part
I cheer BB in everything he appears in: goodie or baddie.
HE IS BRILLIANT!
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

rojroj
Characters to boo: surely those are Avon and Jenna, who almost left Blake, Vila and Gan to die on Cygnus Alpha?

https://www.facebook.com/blakes7rojblake/
GanMiniMe
rojroj wrote:

Characters to boo: surely those are Avon and Jenna, who almost left Blake, Vila and Gan to die on Cygnus Alpha?

... but they didn’t; mainly thanks to Jenna, if memory serves me. It’s just as well, it would have been a pretty short series if they had left them behind!!

For me, part of the appeal of the series was the sense of jeopardy created by the risk that our heroes could be shafted not only by the federation, but also by each other. There was no wholesome, three Musketeer-type camaraderie- at least, not in the early days.

rojroj
GanMiniMe wrote:

rojroj wrote:

... but they didn’t; mainly thanks to Jenna, if memory serves me. It’s just as well, it would have been a pretty short series if they had left them behind!!

For me, part of the appeal of the series was the sense of jeopardy created by the risk that our heroes could be shafted not only by the federation, but also by each other. There was no wholesome, three Musketeer-type camaraderie- at least, not in the early days.

I agree, of course; they're all complex and flawed. However, I reacted to the suggestion that Blake should be booed because he hid some info from Avon and Jenna. Surely the thing the two of them did to him was much more... objectionable :)?

JustBrad
rojroj wrote:

Jenna... I doubt she would have ever left Blake. Blake's own report in Episode 52 is proof enough of that for me.

Avon, possibly, but he is just being true to his nature.

Blake, on the other hand, is breaking the Trope of hero.

Remember this exchange in Spacefall last week?

Avon: Have you ever met an honest man?
Jenna: (Glances at Blake), Possibly.

One episode later, Blake proves her wrong. But perhaps he had to. Perhaps he knew they weren't as committed to the cause as he was, and if he admitted the danger, feared they would want to leave.

In ant event, give Terry Nation credit for creating tension with a mix of characters that didn't always see eye to eye. Something new in sci fi fantasy television at that time, and something that would be copied in many great Sci Fi shows to follow like Babylon 5 and Farscape.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

rojroj
JustBrad wrote:

One episode later, Blake proves her wrong. But perhaps he had to. Perhaps he knew they weren't as committed to the cause as he was, and if he admitted the danger, feared they would want to leave.

As far as I understand this episode, Avon and Jenna weren't in any danger at that point. In fact I think Blake withholds information only to protect himself. Letting Avon know that some priests had tried to kill him would have been dangerous for Blake -- Avon could have used it to ditch him, or later on to convince Jenna more easily that he is dead and that there is no point in waiting for him. I have never interpreted this as a deception that is in any way harmful for Avon or Jenna. Do you interpret it differently? For me, it proves that Blake is a clever man (in addition to being an honest man, fighting against evil and injustice), and I see it as a reason to cheer, not boo. I wouldn't want a hero who is stupid and naive.

Ulera

Love the image, I'm sure it's got all of us Avon ladies daydreaming about being given a bunch of Geraniums by a certain dashing computer expert..

Ulera
rojroj wrote:

You forget that Avon is *never* in the wrong! (Well hardly ever and even then it is down to outside forces!). He gave Blake a whole 60 mins: give the guy a break! He couldn't wait around forever after all.. Smile

rojroj
Ulera wrote:

rojroj wrote:

You forget that Avon is *never* in the wrong! (Well hardly ever and even then it is down to outside forces!). He gave Blake a whole 60 mins: give the guy a break! He couldn't wait around forever after all.. :)

Yes, this is probably the best explanation :)

trevor travis
rojroj wrote:

Possibly, although they don't actually go through and do it, while Blake does deceive Jenna and Avon on what happens the first time he teleports down. Therefore it remains Blake Wink Don't worry, Avon will get his fair share of "Character to boo" moments once he deserves them Wink

And please don't take any of my comments seriously - it's all done very much with tongue-in-cheek!

rojroj
Keep on booing, no problem. But I hardly noticed that moment of deception before -- it seemed to me trivial, just Blake being cautious of what he reveals to Avon -- so I was surprised to see that it stands out for other people.

Mrs_Underhill
rojroj wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

As far as I understand this episode, Avon and Jenna weren't in any danger at that point. In fact I think Blake withholds information only to protect himself. Letting Avon know that some priests had tried to kill him would have been dangerous for Blake -- Avon could have used it to ditch him, or later on to convince Jenna more easily that he is dead and that there is no point in waiting for him. I have never interpreted this as a deception that is in any way harmful for Avon or Jenna. Do you interpret it differently?

Yes I always interpreted it differently but your take made a lot of sense, so now both takes got combined in my head. Smile

My take: Blake was more afraid of them not teleporting him *down*, rather than *up*. If A&J learned about people on the ground trying to kill him, they'd refuse any rescue attempt and leave. And Blake needed their cooperation to teleport him down.

He lied to them because he couldn't trust them to back him up in doing the rescue. But he might also thought about going back, yes. They'd be more likely to wait longer if they didn't know about those dangers.

The whole B7 is about trust, one might say. And this scene is a great example of that. Blake deceives out of lack of trust, which in turn makes him less trustworthy.

I also think that Blake trusted Jenna to wait for him and bring him back - because he didn't know about the treasure room. Until Jenna found it her commitment to wait for him was unwavering. So I'm still inclined towards my take - that Blake's deceit was to make sure he could go down rather than up.

As for A&J not being in any danger: Vargas almost took over the ship, which he would have less chance of if Blake was in clear communication with them about what's happening on the ground. They'd know to be wary about whom to bring up.
But then, they were still learning how to use teleport, they probably couldn't fine-tune it anyway.

I understand why Blake lied and don't want to boo him for it - he had no choice. But then I also understand Avon's jab in Duel about being with Blake voluntarily - little deceits like that made his cynicism understandable too.

rojroj
Mrs_Underhill wrote:

I also think that Blake trusted Jenna to wait for him and bring him back - because he didn't know about the treasure room. Until Jenna found it her commitment to wait for him was unwavering. So I'm still inclined towards my take - that Blake's deceit was to make sure he could go down rather than up.

As for A&J not being in any danger: Vargas almost took over the ship, which he would have less chance of if Blake was in clear communication with them about what's happening on the ground. They'd know to be wary about whom to bring up.

Yes, it's possible that Blake was more worried about A&J's cooperation in going down again than in going up. Your interpretation makes sense.

As for Vargas: I don't think that being wary helps. In the episode Hostage, Travis uses Vila to trick Jenna and Cally who consequently teleport a crimo to the Liberator. They are wary of the danger on the planet's surface but still fall for it.

OTOH, there was a moment when Blake cried into his bracelet, "Get us up, make it fast", when he and Vila and Gan got hold of the bracelets. And Avon and Jenna did nothing because they were still in two minds on whether to leave. Had they teleported Blake and the others at that moment, there wouldn't have been any danger of Vargas taking over.

rojroj
And besides, when they first heard Blake's desperate voice, asking for teleport, it must have been clear to them that he and Vila and Gan were in danger. Regardless of what they had known or hadn't known previously.

I still maintain it was trivial and Blake meant no harm to either Avon or Jenna by concealing information. Certainly there's nothing here to single out as the greatest sin in the episode.

M1795537 OC Virn
You know Avon and Jenna find the rooms on board the Liberator with all the stuff? Well, the precious stones etc I can understand, they'd be usable in many cultures, but why did the Alta's/System collect Earth/Human clothes and stash them aboard like that? Fashionista fetish????
You're not sulking, I hope?

JustBrad
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

You know Avon and Jenna find the rooms on board the Liberator with all the stuff? Well, the precious stones etc I can understand, they'd be usable in many cultures, but why did the Alta's/System collect Earth/Human clothes and stash them aboard like that? Fashionista fetish????

Liberator is a Deep Space Vehicle, so presumably the currencies and clothing were to aid in scouting missions.

But this sounds far more like something the Andromedans should be doing, rather than the Alta.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

stormypetrel
I don’t know if I’ll make it tonight- have ended up travelling for work unexpectedly Sad I’ll give it my best shot, but no promises.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.60 seconds
28,371,665 unique visits since 8th January 2014