Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,221
· Newest Rebel: Dyettkev

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [38 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [25 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [27 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [29 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [21 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 179
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
41st Anniversary Rewatch - D13 Blake
trevor travis
The episode: Derek Thirteen - Blake (Carry On Dying)
The date: Tuesday, December 17th, 2019
The time: 7.45pm UK time

A reminder of the Season Derek drinking game – no additions needed, although a stomach pump may be required after the final scene:

Here’s the number of sips/swigs per each of these:
Avon is knocked unconscious 1
A scientist dies (per scientist) 5
There’s the sequence (or part of the sequence) of Scorpio landing / taking off at Xenon Base 3
Vila drinks something red (per scene) 10
Tarrant falls in love 5
Soolin shoots someone (per person) 5
Slave says “sorry” 1
Each mention of “Sleer” 2
Avon laughs manically and/or smiles inappropriately 5
A member of the main cast is killed or stunned or hopelessly surrounded by around 20 Federation guards (per cast member) 1 bottle of wine / 1 can of beer

Meanwhile, it’s time for the Blake’s 7 Christmas Special. "IT'S CHRISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST-MAS!!!!" Lovely of jolly japes with Avon and crew, as they encounter Santa Claus and attend the wedding of Roj Blake and Jenna Stannis, and "Everyone Lives". Woo-hoo!!!! *

* The actual contents of this episode may vary slightly.

Episode in a word: Massacre.
Character to cheer: Tarrant is a bit of a hero in this one – in his efforts to crash land Scorpio. He does mess it up a bit later on, though, by not spotting that Blake was playing games. Mind you, that’s more the fault of Blake.
Characters to boo: A joint award to Blake and Avon, who manage to mess things up even more than usual.
Is Soolin looking lovely this week: Yes. She’s not looking so good for the final minute or so, although she escapes with a flesh wound.
Recognisable Face: David Collings (Deva) has been in just about everything, including Silver in “Sapphire And Steel”, the headmaster in “Press Gang”, and a couple of roles in “Doctor Who”.
Best exchange: TARRANT: “You going to tell us what we've got planned, Avon?” VILA: “We know what we've got planned. Running away is what we've got planned.” DAYNA: “A strategic withdrawal is what we've got planned.” VILA: “There's a difference?” TARRANT: “Oh, yes. A strategic withdrawal is running away... but with dignity.” VILA: “So lay in a course and let's get the dignified hell out of here.”

B7 will not return… EVER! Sad
Edited by trevor travis on 12 December 2019 15:17:46

JustBrad
i.imgur.com/MEeAGWh.jpg

Stop being so dramatic. All I said was, "I'll pay for the drinks."
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

JustBrad
i.imgur.com/PmUcLUz.jpg
BLAKE: It's an old smuggler's trick.

TARRANT: Did you learn it from an old smuggler?

BLAKE: No, from a young one, actually. Her name was Jenna.

TARRANT: What happened to her?

BLAKE: (Thinking) I tested her. She got really mad, accused me of being a manipulative, condescending, paranoid, micro managing control freak, took her ship and her cargo of weapons and ran off to join Grant and Avalon.

BLAKE: ... ... ... ...

BLAKE: She died.

i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
I remember sitting in the U6 common room drinking coffee and being numb.Most of us were in total disbelief about the ending..
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

One Spare Part
Brad - 1st pic: LOL
2nd pic: I wish Jenna had escaped death. I choose to believe this.
Vanessa: I had no words. Still don't...I like all the escape ideas I've read here though.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Ulera
One Spare Part wrote:

Brad - 1st pic: LOL
2nd pic: I wish Jenna had escaped death. I choose to believe this.
Vanessa: I had no words. Still don't...I like all the escape ideas I've read here though.

Yes, I agree: unless I actually see a body on screen I often choose to believe they could still be alive (especially if I like the character). So in my own interpretations (& attempts at fanfic) Cally, Avon & Jenna are still very much alive.

trevor travis
I always remember putting on The Liberator Chronicles: Jenna’s Story, which had popped through the post that morning, on my CD player while taking Brad and Paula up to Newcastle for the world’s most chaotic Doctor Who con. As the final scene ended, Brad commented: “Did you hear the sound of that escape pod just before Jenna’s ship blew up.”

One Spare Part
trevor travis wrote:

I always remember putting on The Liberator Chronicles: Jenna’s Story, which had popped through the post that morning, on my CD player while taking Brad and Paula up to Newcastle for the world’s most chaotic Doctor Who con. As the final scene ended, Brad commented: “Did you hear the sound of that escape pod just before Jenna’s ship blew up.”

Oh...heck...or words to that effect. How were you able to listen to it?
In my head, I have a Star Trek/B7 crossover story in which Kirk's grand daughter...don't ask...crosses into the B7 universe and tries to save ALL the crew, past and present. I like my story, it's very extended and it's all worked out in my head. I just can't write it. Sad
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

JustBrad
Re Cally: We have Avon's word that Cally is dead. He says he checked, I trust him in this.

Re Jenna: Admittedly she is dead as far as Canon is concerned, but I like Sally's own take on this. We were at a con when the interviewer brought up the subject of Jenna's death.

Sally: I'm not dead. (Turns to aduience) Am I? I know I didn't have a death scene. Who says I'm dead?

Audience: Blake,

Sally (waves a dismissive hand): What does he know about it?

And that sums up my feelings. Blake may indeed be sincere when he speaks of Jenna's death, but the series is full of events in which Blake is sincere, and wrong.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

Ulera
Re Cally: Avon never actually says that he saw Cally's body: as always with reported events mistakes can be made, even by Avon! It is not a matter of "trust". There are a number of theories out there from the basic to the more complicated that attempt to explain how Cally could have survived.

trevor travis
There's no way Avon would have left a wounded Cally behind on the rather unpleasant planet of Terminal, if she wasn't dead.

She's dead.

Jenna is less clear-cut, simply because there is a possibly that Blake is testing Tarrant. Although Gareth delivers the line in such a way that I think Blake really does believe that Jenna has snuffed it. Although of course, in this case, we have no way of knowing if Blake personally checked it out, like Avon did with Cally.

Ulera
trevor travis wrote:

There's no way Avon would have left a wounded Cally behind on the rather unpleasant planet of Terminal, if she wasn't dead.

She's dead.

Jenna is less clear-cut, simply because there is a possibly that Blake is testing Tarrant. Although Gareth delivers the line in such a way that I think Blake really does believe that Jenna has snuffed it. Although of course, in this case, we have no way of knowing if Blake personally checked it out, like Avon did with Cally.

Firstly, you clearly haven't understood my comment. Secondly, I realize that you have been a member of this forum much longer than me, but that doesn't mean I haven't been a fan of the programme for quite a while, I always think that it is better to at least acknowledge that there is more than one point of view, something which you clearly fail to do in your reply. If we return to the original source (always a good idea in any kind of debate) we will see that Avon only answers "Yes, I'm sure." That answer is open to interpretation, it is not a definitive statement that he has even seen the body. As I said, I am not the only one with that view, there are many theories out there as to how Cally could have survived. Perhaps you should do some reading, you might learn something.

littlesue
With regards to Cally; the way that Mr D delivers that 'I'm sure' line makes me believe that Avon had actually checked for life signs.
Anyway, that's just my view and after nearly 40 years, it still is.
I can remember getting ready for this last episode back in 1981. At Teal Vandor, nothing was said about the ending. I don't recall Uncle Vere even mentioning it.
All I know is that I was just so excited about 21st December 1981.
I was desperately trying to get my 2 and 4 year old daughters to sleep and I saw a trailer on the TV.
"Oh," says I to Hubby, "Something happens to Tarrant."
Well, that was an understatement.
As those credits rolled I was numb. The next day and over Xmas, my two daughters were asking why Mummy wasn't very happy?
After Teal Vandor and meeting Mr D (for the first time), meeting Jaques, Peter Tuddenham, Mat Irvin and getting to hug Uncle Vere, I was on a high.
Not after the music faded and no announcer came on to say Blake's 7 will return...
The BBC duty officer didn't know a thing about it either; by all accounts his switchboard lit up and he had a barrage of complaints from angry parents..."Thank you BBC, for ruining Christmas!"
I've always wondered if it was the same chap who had the problem when THAT episode of Doomwatch went out...the one where Toby Wren didn't manage to diffuse the bomb on the end of the pier?
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
Ulera wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

She's dead.

Firstly, you clearly haven't understood my comment. Secondly, I realize that you have been a member of this forum much longer than me, but that doesn't mean I haven't been a fan of the programme for quite a while, I always think that it is better to at least acknowledge that there is more than one point of view, something which you clearly fail to do in your reply. If we return to the original source (always a good idea in any kind of debate) we will see that Avon only answers "Yes, I'm sure." That answer is open to interpretation, it is not a definitive statement that he has even seen the body. As I said, I am not the only one with that view, there are many theories out there as to how Cally could have survived. Perhaps you should do some reading, you might learn something.

I was only giving my opinion - I wasn't saying it was the definitive answer.

The thing is (and again this is my opinion), is that Avon "Yes, I'm sure" is followed by Dayna's "He went back in." That second line is arguably the more important, because it confirms Avon went back down, and got Orac back out (confirmed in another line). Given that Avon and Cally were, at the very least, close friends (maybe more), there’s no way he would have kept her down there, if there was a remote possibility of getting her out and not leaving her trapped on the hostile world of Terminal. IMO Avon is morally ambiguous at times, but not that morally ambiguous, especially not towards Cally! To leave an injured Cally down there would be a rather evil act. I just can’t see him doing that.
Edited by trevor travis on 13 December 2019 14:21:10

trevor travis
littlesue wrote:

"Oh," says I to Hubby, "Something happens to Tarrant."
Well, that was an understatement.

Something does indeed to Tarrant!

And Blake! And Dayna! And Vila! And Soolin! And probably Avon as well!

I always remember it being the final term of the school term the following day and going in completely numb!!!

Ulera
trevor travis wrote:

Ulera wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

She's dead.

I was only giving my opinion - I wasn't saying it was the definitive answer.

The thing is (and again this is my opinion), is that Avon "Yes, I'm sure" is followed by Dayna's "He went back in." That second line is arguably the more important, because it confirms Avon went back down, and got Orac back out (confirmed in another line). Given that Avon and Cally were, at the very least, close friends (maybe more), there’s no way he would have kept her down there, if there was a remote possibility of getting her out and not leaving her trapped on the hostile world of Terminal. IMO Avon is morally ambiguous at times, but not that morally ambiguous, especially not towards Cally! To leave an injured Cally down there would be a rather evil act. I just can’t see him doing that.

Ok that's fine, no worries. I am also one of those who think they had a close relationship so I certainly do not think he would ever just leave her there. It is probably my fault, I should have been clearer - I just meant there are a number of events that could happened from him being mistaken, misinformed etc etc, the possibilities are endless. Other theories I have read elsewhere derive from her being from Auron (I won't go into all the complex details!) I never believed she died from the first time I saw the episode and I also have not changed my mind on that. The bottom line for me anyway, is that if something takes place off screen then it is never completely certain. I know we all have our own strong opinions on these events, so I better leave it there! See you for the rewatch!

trevor travis
Ulera wrote:

Ok that's fine, no worries. I am also one of those who think they had a close relationship so I certainly do not think he would ever just leave her there. It is probably my fault, I should have been clearer - I just meant there are a number of events that could happened from him being mistaken, misinformed etc etc, the possibilities are endless. Other theories I have read elsewhere derive from her being from Auron (I won't go into all the complex details!) I never believed she died from the first time I saw the episode and I also have not changed my mind on that. The bottom line for me anyway, is that if something takes place off screen then it is never completely certain. I know we all have our own strong opinions on these events, so I better leave it there! See you for the rewatch!

Ulera, cheers, yeah likewise I didn’t wish to spark off a big argument.

I guess I’m the opposite in regards to Cally – from the first time I saw the episode I believed that she was dead. Paul Darrow as Avon said those three words with such conviction. There are times where Avon is deliberately enigmatic – I never felt this was one of them. I was gutted that Cally had gone, because I’d started watching the previous year with the third season at the age of six, and Avon and Cally were my favourite characters (over the years, I think Vila has surpassed them).

There are always theories, even when we see the character die in front of our eyes (Blake being a good example). It is part of being a fan. In my mind, Cally is dead, but it’s fair enough if others believe that she survived. I tend to think they all died – for example, I really can’t see how (credibly) Avon could have survived. I certainly didn’t go into school on December 22nd, 1981, thinking “oh well, at least Avon didn’t die.” To my mind, he was also dead. But again we wouldn’t be fans if we didn’t have theories otherwise. For example, I’ve written PGP fiction where some survive, despite my belief that they didn’t.

Yep, see you for the rewatch!

Hugbot
i.imgur.com/MXGDz5A.jpg

JustBrad

It depends on how many cigarillo cases the Fedmas Elves can deliver. We need one each for Dayna, Soolin, Vila, and Tarrant, at least two for Blake, about twelve for Avon, and a large walk in cigarillo case that can withstand re-entry for Jenna.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

Mrs_Underhill

Ah, if only...

Hugs and courage to everyone who'll be rewatching today. With the drinking game rules I hope people would at least be somewhat anesthetized. Cool

I'm not brave enough to watch it today, but will watch my favorite GP vid instead, "This is the end" to Adele's Skyfall by Zukalis.
https://www.youtu...0Hiukr_IcU

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.72 seconds
27,426,482 unique visits since 8th January 2014