Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Childhood Memories of Blake's 7
Child Of Auron
I first started watching Blake's 7 as a child. I thought my earliest memory came from Series C but I will come to that later. However, when I finally got round to watching the series as an adult through repeats on cable and the videos/dvds I realised how much my young memory had interpreted events in a different way or even mixed episodes up.

For example, I have snippets of memories from stories which I now know to be from Dawn of the Gods, City At The Edge Of The World and Rumours Of Death. However, it was the following memory which always stuck in my mind and this is where things got jumbled.

It goes as follows:-

The Liberator comes into orbit around a funny looking planet called Terminal. Avon teleports down and there is a heart thump continually in the background (so far so good). He then goes down the hatch and starts walking around some tunnels where Cally, Tarrant and Dayna are soon running around. Dayna and Tarrant discover a huge brain in the middle of the planet which is creating the heart beat. Avon and Cally are captured and are lined up either side of the brain and are having their life essence drained. On board Liberator Zen is dying and the evil woman (Servalan) has taken control however she doesn't know how to operate the ship and presses the self-destruct button instead blowing herself and the ship up.
Down on the planet, with Avon and Cally still attached to the brain, Dayna and Tarrant hit all the controls they can find which causes the brain to start dying. Avon manages to escape but Cally is trapped. As the others reach the surface, the brain explodes killing Cally and the crew are stranded on Terminal.
The rest of Rescue is as it played out, yet those three episodes were all one story in my head.

Second slightly jumbled memory was from Blake.

As a 7 year old when this episode aired I had to ask my parents who Blake was and my Mum explained he was someone who the crew were always searching for and now they have found him. Yet again my memory played tricks on me for the final 5 minutes played out like this.

Blake has the Scorpio crew at gun point and as they all take it in turns to kill him he laughs at them as his guards shoot them down one by one. So Blake survived and the others died. And for years I had this memory that Avon had been searching all his life for this elusive man called Blake who actually turned out to be a baddie!!!

And that comment at the beginning about my assumption that Series C was the first I watched...

Bearing in mind I knew the characters from the last two years of the programme, I remember a curly haired man (Tarrant), Avon and a blonde woman (Soolin) teleporting down to a beach like planet. Meanwhile, a dark haired woman (Cally) was fast asleep in the sand. While she was sleeping these mysterious rocks were crawling towards her and were soon covering her body (in a bad way as my memory told me).

However, when I got to Series B and I saw Shadow it all fell into place. I had seen Blake once before, there was another blonde in the programme (Jenna) and the rocks were called Moon Discs and were friendly!!

The tricks our memories play.

Sorry for the very long post but I thought I would share and ask if anyone else has any jumbled memories from when they first watched the programme which turned out to be very different years later when they saw it as an adult?

Travisina
Fascinating post, Child of Auron!

I was an adult when I first saw B7, although because I wasn't living in the UK when they were broadcast, I ended up seeing the episodes several years later - and out of order. I know I saw 'Rumours of Death' before I saw 'Countdown', so my initial impressions were somewhat jumbled, too!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

President Solvite
I like that false memory of yours Child of Auron...

Having these myth of Blake the hero being perpetuated by the cause.. But in fact he's playing a double bluff and deep down he is something like a Federation Sleeper Agent..

Nice, very dark... Hmm must be a fanfic that explores that concept somewhere!!

Who knows maybe that has been played out in a paralell 'verse and dimension.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
trevor travis
I got "Terminal" wrong as a six-year-old. I was so upset about Zen dying, that I thought Blake was back....

I watched B7 with my dad, but he was away for "Terminal", so it was up to me to tell him what happened.

A year later "Terminal" was repeated and I realised my error.

Child Of Auron
President Solvite wrote:

I like that false memory of yours Child of Auron...

Having these myth of Blake the hero being perpetuated by the cause.. But in fact he's playing a double bluff and deep down he is something like a Federation Sleeper Agent..

Nice, very dark... Hmm must be a fanfic that explores that concept somewhere!!

Who knows maybe that has been played out in a paralell 'verse and dimension.

If no one has written a fanfic with that premise then maybe someone should start writing?

Child Of Auron
trevor travis wrote:

I got "Terminal" wrong as a six-year-old. I was so upset about Zen dying, that I thought Blake was back....

I watched B7 with my dad, but he was away for "Terminal", so it was up to me to tell him what happened.

I was 6 when Terminal aired too but I have no memory of Blake being in it.

I used to sneak out of the bedroom after going to bed to watch B7 with my parents, pretending I wasn't tired enough to sleep

trevor travis
Child Of Auron wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

I was 6 when Terminal aired too but I have no memory of Blake being in it.

I used to sneak out of the bedroom after going to bed to watch B7 with my parents, pretending I wasn't tired enough to sleep

B7 was on after my bedtime.

"Aftermath" (possibly "Powerplay" too) were on in the school holidays, so I was allowed to stay up later, and I was mesmerised by this programme that was even better than Doctor Who (because DW was for kids, and I was 6 nearly 7!!).

Come "Volcano" (possibly "Powerplay" ), we were back at school. My parents were adamant. I could watch the first 10/15 minutes but then it was my bedtime. As the episode started, I disappeared into the armchair, only daring to move again once the end credits came up!!! At that point, my parents realised I really wanted to watch it, and I was allowed to stay up later on a Monday night Grin

My dad was a Doctor Who regular viewer, but I don't think he'd seen Blake's 7 fan previous to Season C either. I gained all my knowledge of what happened before from my babysitter Grin

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
I remeber breaking several landspeed records racing home from Guides to get in before the opening sequence.

My games teacher never thought of using B7 as an incentive from the Inter-House Games Day...
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

JustBrad
Well, old fogey that I am, I was in my late twenties when B7 came to America (1986), but I never missed an episode.

purplecleric
I remember being so obsessed even back then that I had to re - enact scenes with my mates at playtime and created a shoe box flight deck with pipe cleaner figures so the B7 goodness never had to end... S-L-D was always a fave.

trevor travis
Oh, I had a bit of a childhood crush on Cally.

BTW I never had any doubts when I was six, Avon and Cally were boyfriend and girlfriend. Does that mean I was a very young "shipper"? Grin

Asimov
Hi all,

I was about 9 when B7 was on, and I remember watching it, and then Blake was gone. I carried on watching it hoping Blake would come back, and he never did, until the end.

When I met Gareth Thomas I told him I only carried on watching because I was hoping he would come back. He signed my B7 magazine anyway heh heh.
Strangely enough I found out something that day. I saw Gareth Thomas in Brass, and I know he is Welsh and in Brass he had a real strong Welsh accent. So I always wondered if he was putting on an accent in B7 or if Brass was his true accent.

Gareth told me he had to lose the Welsh accent very early on to get into Equity, so no he hasn't really got a Welsh accent anymore.

AVR2
I was 7 myself when the series began. My earliest memory is of the "nightmare sequence" from The Way Back, with Blake running through the corridors and being clubbed by the Federation guard. When they saw it, my parents immediately started debating whether this programme was entirely suitable for children Smile

I'm sure that one of the episodes in either series 1 or 2 suffered a technical breakdown during transmission, and while it was sorted out we were shown a still of the Liberator while standard easy-listening breakdown music was played. Can anyone confirm which episode that was?

Space Chopper
I was about 14 or 15 when I first watched B7, and I remember taking some AM/FM buttons off an old radio and sticking them on a wide leather watch strap to make a 'teleport bracelet' that I could push the buttons on, and had a biro on a coiled cord (from an old notice board) attached to my belt for a Liberator gun. I remember the Federation as generic baddies, but couldn't understand why Blake was always arguing with Avon. I loved the episode with Bayban the butcher, never even realising later on that Bayban ended up as Doctor Who! I loved that episode because Vila finally 'got the girl', even though he lost her at the end. I really started paying attention in S4 when Soolin arrived, I was 17 and she was a major feature of my teenage lust back then.

It's only now, since I bought the DVDs and started rewatching from the beginning, that I'm now understanding the dynamics between Blake and the crew, and between Servalan and Travis, and loving all the rediscovered complex layers of the show. When I was younger, I loved the show for the spaceships, ray guns and aliens, and now I love it for the characterisation and character development.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Frankymole
I don't recall the transmission breakdown, of course these could happen on some regional BBC transmitters and not others (like in 1981 when the North-west didn't get to see K-9 & Company). We always seemed to be getting such breaks but I don't recall it affecting B7 in east Somerset.

I was aged 9 when it started and 13 when it ended. I remember virtually every scene, I was riveted to it. For some reason though I didn't recall much of "Mission to Destiny" except for Stuart Fell falling off the top of a cupboard (whilst for some reason mis-remembering the cupboard as a door to the room that Cally had entered).

I recall playing with friends around some local ruins (incredibly dangerous as they had falling masonry and stuff); I expressed caution at the time and they said "oh, you're just like Vila"! We didn't really play B7 games though, it was more "war" with Tommies versus Jerries, or cowboys and indians.

I think buying Tony Attwood's "Programme Guide" when it came out in 1982(?) enabled me to organise my memories because re-reading it (as often I did) stopped me from muddling up the episodes in my head. One thing I did get wrong was thinking the Liberator was captured by the System and held by thick metal bars, in an area with hexagonal shapes on the walls (like the Libertor's own design ethic, so it was an understandable mistake). That was actually from Ultraworld!

I was about 17 when the first VHS tape came out. Obviously I got all the tapes on release, and was in my 20s when the (mostly) unedited episodes were available. I was amazed how much I had remembered from one or two viewings (depending on repeats) back in the 70s/80s.
Edited by Frankymole on 05 May 2014 04:25:08

littlesue
I don't recall a breakdown of transmission either. Mind you our signal came via the Isle of Wight Transmitter.
I do recall, though, that during, possibly, the last episode of 'Morgan's Boy' the transmitter went down because of a thunder storm and all hell let loose from the viewers. (Angry phone calls and letters etc.) So much so that the interrupted episode was shown the following week. That was people power back then.
Unfortunately, I wasn't a child back then when B7 was first shown, but I do recall trying to keep, first one baby quiet during the episodes (series 1 and 2) and then 1 baby and 1 small child hushed and quiet during series 3 and 4. How on earth I managed without a video recorder, catch up tv etc, I don't know. I only missed one episode, The Keeper. They wouldn't let me out of the Maternity Hospital with daughter no. 2...mean things!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Frankymole
Yes, that's totally unfair, littlesue!! The meanies! Smile

I remember watching Morgan's Boy when it went out - Gareth Thomas being the draw, I don't think he'd been on much telly since Blake, if any. I didn't recall much apart from the general air of bleakness, the joy of the "boy" coming to understand his straight-laced, honourable and old-fashioned (and insular and nave) uncle, the jibes about the nephew's thin physique ("he'd blow away in a strong wind" ), and of course what Morgan does to himself when ejected from his farm to a council house. Actually I suppose I did recall a fair bit of it! The teenage fumblings around romance hit a chord. It was quite a good production really, Gareth probably appreciated the staginess (in a good sense: concentrating on acting).
Edited by Frankymole on 06 May 2014 00:19:22

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.48 seconds
9,127,596 unique visits since 8th January 2014