Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 1
trevor travis

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Doctor Who - favourite Doctor?
Klenotka
Well, as non-British, I certainly had my own heroes and stuff I grew up on so there is really no need to "feel sorry" Wink
I know that to say that I watched the NuWho since the beginning makes it sound funny but I have been watching the show since 2006 and I think it counts. I didnīt know the show before and I finished the classic series only last year. So for me it is not about "first Doctor I saw" (it was Eccleston who I consider the best from new Doctors so far) but simply who I liked best. For me, it was Davison-Pertwee-McCoy. A gap of two or three generations for those who watched it live on TV when it aired, a matter of months for me Smile

But what I find funny is that I am already "veteran DW fan" around here. I remember watching Doomsday on a notebook at a convention with about ten other people. Nobody knew it here - DW got on our TV about two years ago. Suddenly, there are young fans (and I mean those 17 years old fans) running around in fezes, looking at us like "Why donīt you wear any costume, I donīt know you, what are you doing here?" while we are those who started the fandom here, who began with DW at conventions and spread it further. This is why I think DW will sort of live forever. It is similar to Star Trek, I think - it will constantly get new fans, who will, eventually, grow up from "OMG, Tennant is soooo sexy" into "I love DW for what it is" Smile

Gauda Cheese
Klenotka wrote:

Peter Davison. Jon Pertwee is very close second - Davison got to my first place with Caves of Androzani so it was very tight race Grin
I thought Davisonīs episodes - except those two parters and with the Snakedance stuff, were really great. I liked how they decided to make the Doctor a little "softer" but also decided to pull him through hell at the same time. I am just sorry he didn īt stay longer. But judging by the crap stuff Colin Baker got, I am glad he Peter didnīt stay.

But but Kinda and Snakedance are amazing! Wink

Klenotka
I have a phobia from snakes...which, as I found out, applies also to a guy dressed in a huge bad costume of snake...so it is difficult to watch and follow a plot of an episode where you spend some time with your eyes closed Grin

b7gary
I grew up with tom baker as my doctor , and as the years went by ,loved all the doctorsGrin in turn.

Gauda Cheese
Klenotka wrote:

I have a phobia from snakes...which, as I found out, applies also to a guy dressed in a huge bad costume of snake...so it is difficult to watch and follow a plot of an episode where you spend some time with your eyes closed Grin

Fair enough. The snake motif is pretty creepy. Did Kinda have the same effect even with the huge fake looking spider?

Klenotka
I have no problems with spiders but there were other things that creeped me out. I donīt know, I think I just will never those two episodes again...

Gauda Cheese
Klenotka wrote:

I have no problems with spiders but there were other things that creeped me out. I donīt know, I think I just will never those two episodes again...

Whoops I meant giant snake in Kinda. No probs man I can understand that. Kinda for me is one of my fave Who stories ever

Spaceship Dispatcher
Tom Baker doing rather well in this poll so far...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

TwoGunBob
Peter Davison as I latched on to him right as Baker was on his way out. I had a friend that convinced me to start watching and I just couldn't quite get Baker's Doctorand as much as Dr. Who might seem episodic in nature I was lost for the most part. Somehow with Davison it seemed a reboot and I was suddenly able to follow the stories as well as knowing all the companions. Baker was the first Doctor I saw but it all really made sense to me when Davison stepped in. I was like twelve or thirteen at the time.

Klenotka
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Klenotka wrote:

Whoops I meant giant snake in Kinda. No probs man I can understand that. Kinda for me is one of my fave Who stories ever

Yeah, I thought there was no spider but since I watched it only once, I thought I just forgot Grin

I donīt think it was bad. I think with Davison being my favourite, I rate most of his episodes as good but that giant snake was exactly the reason why I freaked out and decided never watch it again. Smile But isnīt it nice, that even after with me, an adult person (well, adult in age anyway Grin ), and with "rubber monster", I can still be scared?

I was just talking to a friend the other day. She has a nephew who is too small to understand English (6, I think) and she, as a proper geek aunt, wanted to let him watch something. But she couldnīt decide which episode of the classic DW to let him watch because she needed something visually interesting (he wouldnīt understand it otherwise) but something not too scary. And we realized that the body count in DW is pretty high and it is actually really scary for kids. I donīt know but it seems that British, US or other kids in English speaking world, have pretty creepy stories to grow up on Grin (also judging by some fairy tales I know Smile)

President Solvite
I used to feel so sorry for you 'middle generation', who had to go through their childhood and teens without their own Doctor. But at least you can make a more informed choice about the rival merits of the different Doctors and actually choose a favourite, rather than being imprinted like the rest of us were!

Err thankyou Travisina, you're making me feel old!

Mind you I have had several 'senior' moments this week. Actually if I'm honest I've been having them since my early 20's Pfft

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
trevor travis
The first Doctor I saw was Tom Baker, but I never really considered him as "my" Doctor, because he'd already been playing the part a million years when I took the step from viewer to fan in September 1979 at the tender age of six.

I always considered my Doctors to be Peter Davison (the first actor I saw from beginning to end) and Colin Baker (because my grandad was his postman!!).

But I've voted for Tom Baker here. There's been some superb actors play the part, but Tom is a natural eccentric. He was born to play the character. I suspect that Tom Baker is acutally an alien. His Doctor is absolutely spot on. Everyone else played a Doctor, but Tom Baker was THE Doctor.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

His Doctor is absolutely spot on. Everyone else played a Doctor, but Tom Baker was THE Doctor.

That's how I have always thought of him in the role, that's it isn't really a 'performance' at all but Tom expressing himself as an alter-ego; and very successfully too. He put so much of himself into the Doctor.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Ulysses3D
Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.

http://www.redbubble.com/people/ulysses3d
President Solvite
Klenotka wrote:
I was just talking to a friend the other day. She has a nephew who is too small to understand English (6, I think) and she, as a proper geek aunt, wanted to let him watch something. But she couldnīt decide which episode of the classic DW to let him watch because she needed something visually interesting (he wouldnīt understand it otherwise) but something not too scary. And we realized that the body count in DW is pretty high and it is actually really scary for kids. I donīt know but it seems that British, US or other kids in English speaking world, have pretty creepy stories to grow up on Grin (also judging by some fairy tales I know Smile)

I would suggest

JP era, The Time Warrior

Simple Plot, Evil Alien, Good Sarah Jane episode that should keep a young 'un entertained.

Scary stories?? Hmm Bambi is pretty traumatic - But then I think its good not to molly-coddle kids too much
We all have to grow up sometimes, and fairy tales are as cautionary as heavy adult drama at times

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
scorpiogirl
jon pertwee and tom baker for me - it's been a long time since i watched it though..great stuff..very different actors and approach to the character but the regeneration of one to the other worked - it was believeable..both these wonderful actors brought so much to the character of the doctor to ensure that (for me)my favourites - well loved and fondly remembered.
Smile

Klenotka
President Solvite wrote:

I would suggest

JP era, The Time Warrior

Simple Plot, Evil Alien, Good Sarah Jane episode that should keep a young 'un entertained.

Scary stories?? Hmm Bambi is pretty traumatic - But then I think its good not to molly-coddle kids too much
We all have to grow up sometimes, and fairy tales are as cautionary as heavy adult drama at times

I think she let him watch the Robot but only first two parts (for obvious reasons Smile )...she also had to comfort him that all the dead people were not really dead Grin

And to be fair, we have friendly and wise devils in our fairy tales, which is something people outside donīt understand either Grin

And if I get back to topic...I think the best part of classic DW - the one I enjoyed the most - were Jon Pertwee/Tom Baker/Peter Davison series. Each of them very different and great. But Sylvester McCoy is after Davison and Pertwee my favourite because, even with some very weird stories, he was great.

Lentila
Jon Pertwee is my favourite. He was my first Doctor. I was never that keen on Tom Baker's Doctor (heresy, I know). I also liked Peter Davison and David Tennant.

Spaceship Dispatcher
President Solvite wrote:

Klenotka wrote:
I was just talking to a friend the other day. She has a nephew who is too small to understand English (6, I think) and she, as a proper geek aunt, wanted to let him watch something. But she couldnīt decide which episode of the classic DW to let him watch because she needed something visually interesting (he wouldnīt understand it otherwise) but something not too scary...

I would suggest

JP era, The Time Warrior

Perfect choice. Its dramatic, with plenty of action good visuals including the stunning castle location, and the comic touches are not entirely verbal so language is not such a barrier; the cast obviously had a good time as the looks they share in some scenes are worth a hundred words!

trevor travis
Curse of Peladon... with its monsters galore.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.36 seconds
9,839,955 unique visits since 8th January 2014