Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,210
· Newest Rebel: Dave

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [38 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [25 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [26 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
11% [20 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 176
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Visual Mutterings - B7 blog
AndrewP
Thought I'd just flag up a blog in which a relative newcomer to the wonderful world of "Blake's 7" has been giving their thoughts on the series (currently up to "Duel" ) .

https://visualmut...-back.html

I've been enjoying HE Cooper's blogs about television for a while now, and they've rapidly become one of my favourite writers on the subject of archival TV because of their very wide view of the topic in general (some of their observations have been remarkably astute and heart-warming). And while I wish that life allowed me the time to watch "Blake's 7" through again, catching up on this blog is very nearly as good... bringing back lots of old memories from when it first aired and also getting some fresh perspectives on the series to keep me receptive to new ideas.

So, I thought I'd log on and place the link in case others enjoy it too.

All the best

Andrew
Edited by AndrewP on 31 July 2019 15:42:39

Mrs_Underhill
I love this blog too! Thank you for bringing it here, I bet many people would find it as enjoyable as I do. Hope it continues to the end, with B7 holding the author's interest. Smile

AndrewP
Mrs_Underhill wrote:

I love this blog too! Thank you for bringing it here, I bet many people would find it as enjoyable as I do. Hope it continues to the end, with B7 holding the author's interest. Smile

Ah! Yes! Saw your posting on "Duel"! Nice one! And you're a comparatively new convert too, yes? Delighted that you've enjoyed this at times rather creaky old series so much. I always get a kick out of seeing new people discover old series.

I very much hope that the author makes it to the end as well - there will be so much for them to enjoy (and the odd bit to cringe at) along the way. But their "Back in Time for TV" blog has made fascinating reading; it's one of the most astute and engaging presentations of archive TV which I've come across in a long time.

All the best

Andrew

rojkerr1
good blog, interesting perspectives

Mrs_Underhill
AndrewP wrote:

Mrs_Underhill wrote:

Ah! Yes! Saw your posting on "Duel"! Nice one! And you're a comparatively new convert too, yes? Delighted that you've enjoyed this at times rather creaky old series so much. I always get a kick out of seeing new people discover old series.

I very much hope that the author makes it to the end as well - there will be so much for them to enjoy (and the odd bit to cringe at) along the way. But their "Back in Time for TV" blog has made fascinating reading; it's one of the most astute and engaging presentations of archive TV which I've come across in a long time.

All the best

Andrew

Oh yes, fingers crossed that the author will continue to be compelled by B7.
As for the series being old and creaky - I now see its influence in many a fantasy and sci-fi which came after. It's a classic - it fits the definition of being remembered and loved well past its contemporary times. It's still gripping and true. It's great that it's available on Youtube: youngsters can watch it and become fans. My dream is for it to be streamed on Netflix or Amazon...

AndrewP

As for the series being old and creaky - I now see its influence in many a fantasy and sci-fi which came after. It's a classic - it fits the definition of being remembered and loved well past its contemporary times. It's still gripping and true. It's great that it's available on Youtube: youngsters can watch it and become fans. My dream is for it to be streamed on Netflix or Amazon...

Old and creaky is - thankfully - no barrier to people with a great love of television and film. I think people who really *get* this sort of thing understand that technology (and some attitudes) were different when these shows were made. I mean, there are many episodes of "The Twilight Zone" which also look old and creaky... but I still adore them because they were presenting many now familiar stories for the first time, and the fact that most of them were shot in two-and-a-half days astounds me.

The great thing about living here, in the future, is that so much archival television *is* brilliantly and easily accessible via so many different means. *New* people discovering these shows is very important to me because I've seen various fandoms stagnate and die over the years because of the same people saying the same things for - in some cases - decades. So I do tend to gravitate these days to blogs and podcasts and magazines where I'm reading new perspectives on these old series... and also being charmed that somebody with so much to choose from in the way of entertainment should be bothered about watching shows like "Blake's 7" or "Callan" or "Public Eye" or "The Avengers" or "Moonlighting" etc. etc.

So glad that there's still new people joining in the fun! Smile

All the best

Andrew

rojkerr1
Timeslip is old and creaky, but I love it too!

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

You were in it! No wonder you love it! Lol
Mind you, I was in Space 1999 Dragon's Domain...as the dragon! Grin
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Moon Disk
AndrewP wrote:

Thought I'd just flag up a blog in which a relative newcomer to the wonderful world of "Blake's 7" has been giving their thoughts on the series (currently up to "Duel" ) .

https://visualmut...-back.html

I clicked on that link and the first thing I see - Anthony Valentine and Edward Woodward. Yep, that's my kind of blog.

Interesting reading, the author makes some good points!

AndrewP
Moon Disk wrote:
I clicked on that link and the first thing I see - Anthony Valentine and Edward Woodward. Yep, that's my kind of blog.

Interesting reading, the author makes some good points!

In which case... you may well enjoy HE Cooper's other blog: "Back in Time for TV". It's a series of brilliant "cold readings" of lots of different TV shows from a representative week of a year in British broadcasting. I think you may like the assessment of 1977:

https://www.trans...or-tv-1977

All the best

Andrew

AndrewP
rojkerr1 wrote:

I think when a show is stylishly made or offers fresh concepts or engaging characters, it can withstand its production values or its antiquity. My wife and I watched the BBC "Quatermass and the Pit" again recently and were reminded of how utterly *brilliant* it is. Ditto with "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Corridor People". There's always something in the style, narrative or protagonists which makes it so engaging for us.

All the best

Andrew

Moon Disk
AndrewP wrote:
In which case... you may well enjoy HE Cooper's other blog: "Back in Time for TV". It's a series of brilliant "cold readings" of lots of different TV shows from a representative week of a year in British broadcasting. I think you may like the assessment of 1977:

https://www.trans...or-tv-1977

All the best

Andrew

Oh my giddy aunt! It's Anthony Valentine! In 'Raffles' too!

Nostalgia overload. We had some good telly back then...

Thanks, this is brilliant Grin
Edited by Moon Disk on 03 August 2019 09:45:28

AndrewP
Moon Disk wrote:Oh my giddy aunt! It's Anthony Valentine! In 'Raffles' too!

Nostalgia overload. We had some good telly back then...

Thanks, this is brilliant Grin

Thought you'd like it. "Raffles" is a gorgeous little show. Loved it when it first aired and caught as many repeats as I could. I remember I even bought some of the single episode VHS releases. Beautifully enjoyable gem of a series with engaging stories and a charismatic set of leads.

All the best

Andrew

rojkerr1
spare part,aww

Moon Disk
AndrewP wrote:

Thought you'd like it. "Raffles" is a gorgeous little show. Loved it when it first aired and caught as many repeats as I could. I remember I even bought some of the single episode VHS releases. Beautifully enjoyable gem of a series with engaging stories and a charismatic set of leads.

All the best

Andrew

'Raffles' is one of those shows that is overlooked these days. Off-hand, I can't remember the last time I saw it in the TV schedules. It's one of my guilty viewing pleasures. 'Cribb' with Alan Dobie too is very neglected. It's one of the best shows few people have never heard of - and it does have some B7 alumni, David Jackson, Ronald Lacey, Andrew Burt and Bobbie Brown. The production values are spot on, not surprising when you consider that the producer, June Wyndham Davies, went on to produce Granada's Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett.

But yes, Raffles. Anthony Valentine was perfect for the role with Christopher Strauli with that right level of boyish enthusiasm as Bunny. Love the show, one of my favourites. I'm onto my 2nd set of DVDs, having worn out the first Grin

rojkerr1
saw the David niven movie recently

One Spare Part
Moon Disk wrote:

AndrewP wrote:

All the best

Andrew

'Raffles' is one of those shows that is overlooked these days. Off-hand, I can't remember the last time I saw it in the TV schedules. It's one of my guilty viewing pleasures. 'Cribb' with Alan Dobie too is very neglected. It's one of the best shows few people have never heard of - and it does have some B7 alumni, David Jackson, Ronald Lacey, Andrew Burt and Bobbie Brown. The production values are spot on, not surprising when you consider that the producer, June Wyndham Davies, went on to produce Granada's Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett.

But yes, Raffles. Anthony Valentine was perfect for the role with Christopher Strauli with that right level of boyish enthusiasm as Bunny. Love the show, one of my favourites. I'm onto my 2nd set of DVDs, having worn out the first Grin

Loved both of these series. Read Hornung's books because of seeing Valentine/Strauli. Brilliant. Quality always shows. I hope that Talking Pictures gets around to showing both of these series.

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

saw the David niven movie recently

Have not seen the Niven version for yonks. Will have to find it somewhere. They have been showing a few of his more modern films on TP channel, so maybe they will backdate him!

AndrewP
Moon Disk wrote:'Cribb' with Alan Dobie too is very neglected. It's one of the best shows few people have never heard of - and it does have some B7 alumni, David Jackson, Ronald Lacey, Andrew Burt and Bobbie Brown. The production values are spot on, not surprising when you consider that the producer, June Wyndham Davies, went on to produce Granada's Sherlock Holmes with Jeremy Brett.

"Cribb" is also terrific. In fact - and I know that this probably isn't a popular sentiment - but I actually prefer it to the (largely) excellent Granada Holmes production. "Cribb" is far more quirkly, and I love the notion set out by the novels of each investigation being drawn from a fad or an element of Victorian life; the walking championships of "Wobble to Death", the craze for re-enacting 'Three Men in a Boat' in "Swing, Swing Together", the bare-knuckle fighting of "The Detective Wore Silk Drawers", etc. etc. Beautiful little series.

Fantastic to know that shows like this are still so loved and cherished! Have you ever come across ATV's "Virgin of the Secret Service"? It's a send-up of Edwardian adventure fiction (although at times it now seems to be reinforcing rather than satirizing some of the genre's more old-fashioned elements) and it's done with a lot of ambition and style, even if it doesn't always work...

All the best

Andrew

AndrewP
One Spare Part wrote:I hope that Talking Pictures gets around to showing both of these series.

Talking Pictures has been a godsend in recent years for all manner of things I *never* thought I'd be able to get to see. I think the real delight for us has been "The Rogues" with David Niven, Charles Boyer and Gig Young (plus Larry Hagman when Gig Young's busy); basically "Hustle" from the early 1960s and done with that same stylish sense of fun.

All the best

Andrew

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
26,795,107 unique visits since 8th January 2014