Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 13

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,155
· Newest Rebel: Mondas42

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [37 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [11 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [23 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
18% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [15 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 159
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Jul 2019 Fanfic Challenge
purplecleric
‘A necklace, Vila - made of your teeth.’ Cally - Shadow

From decorative like Jenna’s necklace and the lizard on Servalan’s dress to deadly like Travis’ ring and Piri’s brooch, it’s good to see that humans still like to decorate themselves in the 23rd century.

The word prompt this month is … JEWELLERY

Europe has been experiencing a bit of hot weather just lately - I think the weather satellite must need a service. For the second challenge, imagine our beloved characters facing some extreme weather.

JustBrad
“Blake, I can’t move my hand.”

As Blake moved to help Jenna, Avon barked a warning. “Blake, don’t touch her.”

Jenna stood still, held in place by a force she did not understand. And yet she had an inkling that the feeling was mutual, that the force in question did not understand her, either. She could sense the mind, guarded, but more questioning than hostile.

She spoke, partly thinking out loud, and partly to keep Blake from doing something stupid. “It's as though my hand was part of something. It's mixed with something else. It's ... it's in my head. Something in my mind. Asking…”

*Enemy?*

Just as she heard the voice only in her head, she saw the images that Blake and Avon could not see. Many small ships firing at her, at this ship. She could see them all around her, all at once without turning her head, as though for just a moment she were linked to the ship’s sensor array. “No,” she replied, and in her mind added, ‘I am not your enemy. I am your friend.’

The nature of the connection changed, less distrusting, more accepting. She could feel it reading her mind in the same way a mundane computer might read a data crystal, not judging, just wishing to know, always wishing to know… and to be known.

Jenna sighed. “Ah, it's so peaceful, it's beautiful, to be completely known. It's like innocence.”

She heard the voice again, and again, only in her head, as if it wished a private conversation with her alone.

*You require this vessel?*

Yes, she did. She wanted it more than anything. To pilot a ship like this…. There was one more question.

“Why?*

She looked to her hand, held firmly in place by the unseen force. Her eyes fell to her ring. It had been her mother’s. It was a small piece of jewelry made from a coin, or so she understood. The place had been called America. Rather than put a leader on their ancient coins, they put a figure, and gave that figure a name. Underneath the likeness of an ancient god was the word, “Liberty.”

*Welcome, Jenna Stannis. Welcome Roj Blake. Welcome, Kerr Avon. Please state course and speed.*

Blake spoke. “I want a course for the Federation penal colony on Cygnus Alpha.”

Later…

*Liberator is in standard orbit one thousand spacials above the planet’s surface*

“Liberator?”

Jenna looked to her ring, the only memento she had of her mother. “It got that from me.”

Note: If you look carefully, you can actually see the ring in the shot, and the Liberty Head Dime.
There was a young man
From Cork who got Limericks
And Haikus confused.

Travisina
Wow, Brad. Such a swift response to the prompt and what a good story! I've always wondered about Jenna's psychic link with Zen / Liberator. I hadn't noticed the ring.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

Wow, Brad. Such a swift response to the prompt and what a good story! I've always wondered about Jenna's psychic link with Zen / Liberator. I hadn't noticed the ring.

Credit where due, it was Paula who first noticed the ring.

That ring, and it's possible implications, have been part of our 'family canon' for decades now, so this prompt was really set up on a tee for me.
There was a young man
And Haikus confused.

JohnMax
Nice Brad, like the way that works into things seamlessly.

JohnMax
The sound of blaster fire echoed around the room. Above the noise Dayna shouted over her shoulder.

“Avon, there are too many, I can’t hold them back!”

Avon kept his eyes focused on the panel he was dismantling. Complex wiring and live circuits – one mistake and he would fry. “Tarrant, pass me the laser probe and go help Dayna!”

Handing over the tool, Tarrant drew his gun and moved to the door. “Hurry up Avon, we can’t hold here forever!”

Vila, covered in a film of sweat, stood, arm trapped in an opening in the machine Avon was working on. “Come on Avon, come on…”

“Be quiet Vila. You got your own arm stuck, and if we can’t hold them back, and we can’t get you out, we’ll be teleporting back without you. Now shut up and let me work!”

More gunfire sounded, Tarrant briefly stepping through the doorway to unleash a few shots, before ducking back – a fresh singe on the sleeve of his jacket.

Dayna looked at him and tutted. “That was a risky move.”

“This whole mess was a risk. And a pointless one!” snapped back Tarrant, poking at the hole in his jacket.

Dayna shook her head sadly, and tossed a grenade down the corridor. “We needed the supplies. We didn’t know our thief would get his arm stuck in some machine!”

“I was curious!” wailed Vila, above the sound of the explosion.

“You were stupid!” snapped Avon, “but I blame myself. I should have predicted it.”

“Oh come now Avon”, sneered Tarrant, “even you can’t be expected to foresee Vila shoving his arm into a strange machine…” – he paused to fire off a few rounds – “..bravery isn’t normally his forte!”

Vila looked taken a-back. “Hey, I’ll have you know that I can be very brave, when the need arises..”

“Fine, “ snarled Avon, still tinkering away, “We’ll leave you a gun and you can get yourself out of this mess!”

An alarm sounded in the distance, and Dayna bobbed her head briefly into the corridor. A barrage of shots responded, one grazing Dayna’s shoulder.

“That’s it Avon,” said Dayna, “Times up. We have to go. NOW!”

With a look of concentration, Avon manipulated a few more circuits. With a clunk, the cover of the machine separated, freeing Vila. Tarrant was already on the comms. “Teleport Soolin, teleport now!”

On the bridge of the Scorpio, seconds later, Tarrant moved quickly, grabbing Avon’s arm and knocking his aim aside.

“What the hell Avon… you were going to shoot him!”

Vila meanwhile took a step to the side, getting Dayna in-between himself and Avon. Avon narrowed his eyes at Tarrant for a second and then glared back to Vila.

“He nearly got us killed Tarrant. He nearly got us killed, for a …. Bauble!”

“It’s not a bauble, it’s a Taurisun Diamond. Biggest I’ve ever seen!” wailed Vila, holding up the fist sized gem in defence. “It’s worth a fortune, and we needed supplies…”

“Hardly worth killing him over,” said Tarrant, as Avon begrudgingly lowered his arm.

“But you don’t see, Tarrant." said Avon slowly, " If he had just let go of it, he would have been free any time…..”

Tarrant and Dayna turned with murderous intent to Vila – but he’d slipped away already, and found somewhere to hide.

JustBrad
JohnMax, that is so VERY Vila.
There was a young man
And Haikus confused.

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

JohnMax, that is so VERY Vila.

I agree - great story!
Signed, a Vila Fan

JohnMax
Oh, just noticed I got 'Vila' wrong all the way though. Oops.

Joe Dredd
Don't worry, we've called Vere and he's fixed it in Post.

JohnMax
Yay!Happy

stormypetrel
Brad, JohnMax, I enjoyed both of those, for different reasons! Just what I needed to liven up a long train journey.

Hugbot
Letters

One day, she had to ask.

‘The symbols on your pendant don’t make any sense’, she said with the smug assurance of a twelve year old know-it-all.

‘That is because you are looking at them the wrong way round’, he explained. ‘I devised them so that I can read them when I look in the mirror.’

She grabbed his hand and dragged him towards the next mirror.

‘They still don’t make sense’, she complained. ‘The first one looks a bit like a lambda but the second one ...’

The fact that Dayna could already identify Greek letters at her tender age filled Hal with pride. Obviously, he had taught her well.

‘These letters are not Greek’, he explained. ‘They are Coptic. The first one, though looking similar to a lambda, is actually an alpa.’

Alpha?’ she smiled.

Alpa. It’s Coptic, but you are right, it corresponds to the Greek alpha. The second one is an o – or omega in Greek. Alpha and Omega. You understand?’

No, she didn’t. He tried to explain, ‘Beginning and end. Birth and death. Everything. This is what we as scientists are trying to understand: the universe. The final questions. Life and death.’

His speech began to bore her. It reminded her of the long and convoluted ramblings of Uncle Hower. He also tended to philosphise about life and death. And despite all his talk of peace, she always sensed a cold fury hidden under his eloquence.

She wasn’t interested in philosophy. So she just shrugged and didn’t mention the pendant any more.

Four years later she stumbled upon a table depicting the Coptic alphabet. While the alpa and the o somewhat resembled the symbols on the pendant, they did not look exactly the same. Had Hal just copied them from memory? Or had he employed a good deal of artistic licence? It wasn’t important. Again, she shrugged and continued with the more interesting parts of her studies. Weaponry systems—gadgets that could give you power so that you no longer had to hide in an old spaceship under the surface of the sea.

It took her another two years to realise that the alpa didn’t really look like an alpa but more like a dalda. And was the o really an o? The two adjoining shapes had always reminded her of the pages of an open book but couldn’t they be the loops of another letter, extended and fused – the two loops of the letter me?

Dalda – me. DM.

Dayna Mellanby. Her father’s Alpha and Omega. Her father’s everything.

When he died, she took his necklace—not just as a memory. Now she had nothing left but herself. Now she was her own Alpha and Omega.

Moon Disk
Hugbot wrote:

Letters

I liked that, Hugbot. Nicely written, very touching.
Moon Disc's B7 stories https://archiveof.../Moon_Disc

JohnMax
Very Nice HB. Dan Brown hasn't a chance!

Anniew
Bran..very clever fleshing out of the canon.

John Max...lovely Vila story

Hugbot moving story. Does Dayna justice. She can come over as a bit hard in the series and this gives her an emotional subtext.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

M1795537 OC Virn
Really good stuff, Brad, JohnMax, Hugbot. An honour to work/ learn alongside you.

Jewellery

As the days passed, Vila found it increasingly difficult to ignore the Liberator’s storeroom. The one packed with treasures. He often dreamed about it. So much wealth, sitting there doing nothing. It had been a long time since he had credits to his name. Nobody would miss a few bits and pieces, surely?

The Liberator hung in space, a few clicks above the Warren. The Warren, a loose assortment of independent habitats, orbited a small planetary moon. It was a haven for every outlaw, refugee and rebel sympathizer in the sector - as good a place as any if you needed to hide. Founded by gas miners, processing the moon’s outer icy layers still provided an income, if you didn’t mind working. Nominally affiliated to the Federation, local administration consisted of a Mayor – usually the richest trader - his closest associates and not much else. What mattered there was money, weaponry and style. The market, always a hive of activity, was renowned for its recycling. Recycling stolen goods into cash.

“Where from? Now that would be telling… and I’m not. How much?” asked Vila.
The man behind the counter sniffed.
“Worth more with a history,” he handed the rings back. His stall was one of many crowded into the port’s marketplace.
“Look, I found them.”
The stallholder laughed. He’d heard that one before. The Warren’s walkways must be littered with abandoned trinkets.
“Where?” he asked, grinning.
“Let’s just cut to what they’re worth, eh? “
“Look, friend, I don’t know you…”
“It’s good stuff,“ Vila blustered. You knew there was a problem when strangers called you ‘friend’, “I can get more.”
“Liar,” the man cautioned, “Deal me in, or leave,” he stiffened, spotting a Federation patrol.
“Maybe tomorrow, “ he advised, closing the stall. Vila, warned by the abrupt departure, also moved away, disappearing into the crowd.

In the market’s cantina, Avon sipped coffee while watching the alley outside. Blake had collected the spares he’d come for and was ready to break orbit. If Vila didn’t turn up soon… Avon noticed Federation guards moving closer, using scanners.
“Not late, am I?” Vila slipped into a seat, “Problem?”
“Feds,” Avon snapped.
“Yeah. Wonder why?” Vila patted his pocket. His face fell.
“Problem?” Avon grinned.
“I’ve been robbed!” the thief exclaimed, glancing back into the crowds. The rings had vanished.
“Losing your touch?” Avon’s grin widened. Vila gritted his teeth. He couldn’t explain without admitting his own dishonesty. But perhaps Avon guessed.
“Maybe next time?” he suggested mildly. Vila grunted disgustedly. The Warren had been his best chance to fence the rings: who knew when they’d be back? It just wasn’t fair.
“I could lend you a few credits,” Avon offered. Vila looked up.
“Bank error in my favour, you might say,” Avon passed something across the table. Vila’s eyes widened.
“That much? No wonder the Feds are scanning. We’d better move.”
“Blake and the others…” Avon paused. Vila nodded.
“Don’t need to know,” he agreed, “I won’t tell if you don’t.”
“My sentiments exactly. Shall we go?”
You're not sulking, I hope?

Joe Dredd
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:
“Bank error in my favour, you might say,” Avon passed something across the table.

Avon was obviously as keen a player of Galactic Monopoly/Cartel as the rest of the crew.

Travisina
Great stories, Hugbot & M...Virn.

Hugbot - clever and moving.
Ms Virn - spot on in character for Vila and Avon, plausible and amusing.

Travisina
Joe Dredd wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:
“Bank error in my favour, you might say,” Avon passed something across the table.

Avon was obviously as keen a player of Galactic Monopoly/Cartel as the rest of the crew.

Grin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.71 seconds
22,941,016 unique visits since 8th January 2014