Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,130
· Newest Rebel: Carlm

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [35 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [10 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [22 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
18% [27 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [15 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 154
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
RIP Paul Darrow
MLPasterisk
Nice tribute on Paul O'Grady's Radio 2 show tonight (courtesy of his producer Malcolm Prince.)
They played the B7 theme tune along with some audio clips of Avon.

For Dudley Simpson fans, they also played The Tomorrow People theme a bit later in the show.

Started around 50 mins in

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005v7c

Supreme Commander
I first met Paul almost 40 years ago and many of my happiest and most fun memories involved spending time in his presence, for which I will always be thankful. He has left us far too soon, but we have his wonderful performances – as Avon and so many more – to remind us of what a talented, intelligent, funny, handsome and charismatic man he was. And certainly in his last few years, how brave and inspirational.

Helping Jackie (Travisina) preparing Horizon’s obituary was very hard. A part of me kept thinking “if we don’t do this, maybe it won’t be real…” So many memories and photos I’d like to share. But not yet.

A world without you in it will take a lot of getting used to. Rest in Peace dear Paul, now and Forever Avon.

Spaceresearcher
Deeply saddened to learn of this passing. I've been out of touch with current Blakes 7 news and when I got a 'did you hear the news' via messenger the other day it was such a shock I didn't even know how to respond.

I'd only met Paul Darrow once but like a lot of Blakes 7 fans, I'd listened to many interviews and followed his career closely, from everything to the great character we know as 'Avon' to trendy commercials for mobility scooters, Paul Darrow did it all. To me he was one of the worlds true great actors. Such a selfless individual with a warm heart and a giving nature.

When I met him at the Blake convention in 2017 for my 40th birthday I was pleasantly surprised to discover he was the man I'd always pictured him to be and when you talked with Paul it felt like meeting up with a long lost friend. Now I've met some actors (aka at a Star Trek convention in Las Vegas) and let me just tell you, it was a cold and bitterly disappointing experience to say the least for a lot of those people. Those thoughts and feeling never entered my mind when I met Paul, he was just such a nice person. Perhaps it was because I'd met Paul before I'd met these other individuals(not all the actors but sadly about 55% of them) or perhaps it was the warm and friendly atmosphere of amazing fellow Blakes 7 fans, but that convention is to this day by far the best convention I'd ever been to. It was just such a wonderful event and all guests were extremely giving and generous with speeches and sharing there Blakes 7 moments. (It was also wonderful to learn that the great Stephen Greif found it the best event of it's type he'd ever been to, which I'm sure made us all feel a touch proud to say the least.)

However without a doubt, Paul Darrow was the star of the show and we all made a great sum of money to help Gareth Thomas's charity vision for the fight against Alzeimers's disease. Paul delivered a wonderful talk which we all cheered and gave thunderous rounds of applause. Such a legend.

He was also an amazing individual to choose to ignore his ailments and get on with doing what he loved, a true strength of character and an inspiration for everyone.

Of that event, I was also not even thinking about my position in the room for example(you know those feelings you get of 'man I wish I had a front row seat.' and being envious of those who get the 'gold pass' so to speak.) At this event I was just glad to be in the room with all these great people, heroes and fellow fans alike. It was just such a joy to assist where possible and even help pack up at the end, I really didn't want it to end and the dog club that came in afterwards certainly seemed a bit laughable that we had to make way for it but deadlines are deadlines I suppose.

Of this event, I captured as many moments as I could via my trusty faithful video recorder, especially the speeches. Now as this was a charity event, I would like to make this video available to all absolutely free and perhaps a download site or something would do the trick but at the same time due to copyright, I don't wish to step on any one's toes in that regard so perhaps a DVD posted out or something like that would do the trick. In any case, it is a wonderful tribute to our fallen hero and a memory I'd like to share with everyone, especially everyone that was there on that wonderful day.

Dear Mr Darrow, you will never be forgotten and I hope you and Janet are now having an absolute ball catching up, sharing stories and doing all the things you loved doing together.

RIPAYWNBF(Rest In Peace And You Will Never Be Forgotten!)
Sean.

Spaceresearcher
Lurena wrote:

So Sad.... I'm on concert tour and I got the news from my daughter.
I'm singing the Requiem by Gabriël Fauré, the wish for souls to rest in Peace.
Now I will dedicate all of the upcoming performances of the Requiem to Paul Darrow.
Rest in Peace Paul, you were very special to me.

Indeed it is Lurena and I think that's a beautiful idea.

If you end up doing a CD of this event, please let me know, I'd love to purchase one to hear it.
Sean.

Sally1958
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Of this event, I captured as many moments as I could via my trusty faithful video recorder, especially the speeches. Now as this was a charity event, I would like to make this video available to all absolutely free and perhaps a download site or something would do the trick but at the same time due to copyright, I don't wish to step on any one's toes in that regard so perhaps a DVD posted out or something like that would do the trick. In any case, it is a wonderful tribute to our fallen hero and a memory I'd like to share with everyone, especially everyone that was there on that wonderful day.

Sean.

I would very, very much like a copy of this. I had to come to terms with never being able to meet him as I live at the other end of the world and have no money. Kind friends have collected souvenirs and photos for me, but this would be a great thing to add.
very happy to contribute to the cost.
musings from Nanna Sally

Sally1958
Reading here and most especially from those who knew the man behind the actor, I am comforted to know he really was the man I wanted to meet, even though I knew it could never happen.

I only became aware of him 2.5 years ago, but was totally entranced by his ability as an actor. First as Avon, then I researched obssessively everything I could find - yes thank God for Youtube - and bought all I could.
And all the videos and print of his interviews, conference attendance and more confirmed my idea of him as a really nice person.

He inspired me, after a rather long period of illness, to go back to things I love like costuming. I joined the local theatre company and now act myself, I now write, I play a very active Roleplay game. I have made many, many friends.

All because of a man who took a supposedly secondary character and made it GREAT.

Thank you Paul I plan to meet you and Janet - someone else I admre - when it is my turn to get to heaven.
musings from Nanna Sally

Anniew
I was sad about losing Paul, Jackie and Gareth, and, as I often do, wrote about what I felt in a kind of poem.

What our dead were...

Today rushes on: the energy
Of its momentum an impertinence
To those who’ve died.

Like sand, yesterday slips
And drifts, it’s shape
Mutating

What our dead were,
is now encrusted with the needs
Of those that remember.

The moment of pure contact forever
lost.

That is our grief.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

JBP
I'm part of the silent majority but moved to post because I was as upset as many of you when I heard the news. Now working my way through my Big Finish B7 collection in tribute.
I was lucky enough to meet Paul briefly, years ago, when he was touring in a play which came to my local theatre. He was in the bar afterwards and, being more shy than most people who know me would think, I hesitated to approach him. What persuaded me to do so was the many reports I'd read from Horizon members (back in the days of the actual paper newsletter) of how very friendly and welcoming he was to fans. Finally I stepped up and congratulated him on the evening's performance. He was just as lovely as everybody said he was. I didn't stop long but those couple of minutes are ones to treasure.
Thank you, Paul, for your kindness. May you rest in peace now.

Wozzanator
I had the immense privilege to meet Paul darrow at several whos seven conventions (in fact the first one is where i met the woman now my wife) And Paul Darrow is partially responsible for our getting married.
at the second Whos seven i was sitting in the second row of a screen showing of a fan made B7 follow up, Paul Darrow entered the room and sat directly in front of myself and my new girlfriend Sarah whom i met at whos 7 one in Telford, we conversed with Paul who proved to be a very friendly approachable man,
he enquired if we were married , Sarah and i looked at each other laughed and said no, he smiled that Avonesque smile and said " well maybe you should be, you seem perfect together"
well if the great Avon thinks we should be married thats just what we did.

he was a true gentleman, exceptionally good stand up comic in his own right, very quick witted and always made time for the fans .
I for one will sorely miss him , As Gareth Thomas pointed out at the first convention i ever went to "we have come to a point where we are no longer Actors and Fans , but instead have become friends whom enjoy each others company, we would not be here today if it were not for you the fans and this is our way to say Thank you to you for the years of support"
i do not feel i have lost a favourite actor , but have lost a very dear irreplaceable friend..........

Rover777
Very sorry to hear of Paul's passing. I discovered the news later than most of you, but had the same sinking feeling.

I can almost hear Paul say (as Avon), 'Well now, that's annoying.'

Lurena
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Lurena wrote:

So Sad.... I'm on concert tour and I got the news from my daughter.
I'm singing the Requiem by Gabriël Fauré, the wish for souls to rest in Peace.
Now I will dedicate all of the upcoming performances of the Requiem to Paul Darrow.
Rest in Peace Paul, you were very special to me.

Indeed it is Lurena and I think that's a beautiful idea.

If you end up doing a CD of this event, please let me know, I'd love to purchase one to hear it.
Sean.

Hi Sean, thank you for your appreciation! I have a little foretaste of a possible concert recording for you. I've put two recordings in the video, mentioned in my next post for you and for everyone who likes to hear it. Enjoy!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Lurena
I had two days off and made a video in memory of Paul Darrow as Avon which you can watch here.
I've met Paul a few times and he was a lovely gentleman who showed an amazing memory skill.
He loved to discuss his stage play work of the old days, touring in my country.

I was on concert tour, singing work by Gabriël Fauré, among other the Requiem.
As Paul was a classical music lover I thought it appropriate to dedicate my performance of the Requiem to him.
And now I have made this tribute video with the recording of two parts of the Requiem (Introït and In Paradisum).
I've put some of my favourite Avon images to it, but I need some more time to create another video which I had in mind. Rest In Peace Paul, I hope you are re-united with your lovely Janet.
My thoughts are with Paul's family and friends.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
dragonq
Thank you for doing this Lurena. I love this piece of music. Particularly like the way you’ve juxtaposed the last few shots.

littlesue
Lurena......just lovely.........
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Anniew
That’s is a most sensitive and loving tribute Lurena. Thank you
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Mrs_Underhill
Lurena, that was so lovely and so moving. Beautiful music and and beautiful pictiures. Thank you.

Annie - thank you for your poems.
Supreme Commander and Travisina - thank you for the loving memorial on the site.
And thank you everyone who shared their memories of meeting Paul. I haven't had the privilege and those memories are to be treasured now.

briggsy1
Radio 4 obit programme Last Word did a Paul Darrow tribute earlier today (it's repeated Sunday). As predicted by Travisina.

Travisina
briggsy1 wrote:

Radio 4 obit programme Last Word did a Paul Darrow tribute earlier today (it's repeated Sunday). As predicted by Travisina.

Indeed!

It's available now on BBC iPlayer here: Last Word.
Paul's segment is at 13mins 47secs.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

MLPasterisk
briggsy1 wrote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0005tq0

From just before 14 mins in.

Psychostrategist
I have difficulty finding the words to comment on the passing of Paul Darrow. To me Darrow's Avon in many ways epitomized the whole show, the shadowy anti-Hero, the protagonist you could love to hate or hate to love, the guy who showed me that even though the name was Blake's 7 the central character of the show, which became clearer in later seasons, was actually Avon. A man named after a cosmetics company... who knew he would be so bada$$? A terrible loss.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.54 seconds
21,513,754 unique visits since 8th January 2014