Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 1
briggsy1

· Total Rebels: 1,158
· Newest Rebel: Project TAS

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [37 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [11 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [23 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
18% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [15 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 159
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
RIP Paul Darrow
freewheeling
I don't usually post on this forum, but just had to this time.

As I grow older I hear of more and more celebrity deaths of my childhood icons, including Gareth and Jacky, but this one came as a real gut-punch. When growing up - the youngest in a rowdy, crazy family - it was Avon who was my first role model, who showed it was possible to keep your head when all around you seemed mad. And it was Paul's performance that sold me on it - that it was possible to be clever and brave and smart and witty and a survivor all at the same time.

I wrote him a letter once, long after he stopped replying to fan mail. I hope he got to read it.

There was a part of me, even as an adult, that took consolation in thinking of Avon as still being out there somewhere, smiling through gritted teeth, gun pointed skywards. Hope in defiance. That part died with Paul Darrow.

Very sad day indeed.
RIP Paul.

Columbo
Paul's death is very sad news, but out of respect for the character he played all I'll say is, "Sentiment breeds weakness. Let it get a hold of you and you are dead."
—Avon

EndGameToBelkov
Columbo wrote:"Sentiment breeds weakness. Let it get a hold of you and you are dead."
—Avon

Speaking of sentiment, a really nice shot from an Ebay listing. The link might go down at some point, and I did not buy the item as it seemed somehow intrusive in my mind (odd how the mind works, since I do have other fan stuff), but a very nice shot.
https://i.ebayimg...-l1600.jpg
Edited by EndGameToBelkov on 05 June 2019 19:49:48

BradPaula
EndGameToBelkov wrote:

Columbo wrote:"Sentiment breeds weakness. Let it get a hold of you and you are dead."
—Avon

Speaking of sentiment, a really nice shot from an Ebay listing. The link might go down at some point - I didn't buy the item as it seemed somehow intrusive in my mind (odd how the mind works, since I do have other fan stuff), but a very nice shot.
https://i.ebayimg...-l1600.jpg

Thank you for posting this link. It was fascinating to peek into the Darrow's actual life.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Mrs_Underhill
Obituary in The Guardian by Toby Hadoke.
https://www.thegu...are_btn_tw

Frankymole
3 June was my birthday but not a happy one, with this terrible news. I've been in shock ever since and unable to sleep much, lots of things are happening but this is the worst, it hit me even harder than when Gareth went.

thewayback7
The Beautiful Mind of Kerr Avon:

https://www.youtu...SZPKys0tXs

RIP Paul Darrow

Obsidian
A very sad day, 3 June. My mother's funeral was that day and it was not until returning home the following day that I heard the terrible news about Paul. Pretty devastating.

It took 31 years of living in countries where Blakes 7 had never been heard of nor could it be accessed, suffering a diminishing chronic illness through a hideous marriage and finally completing an emotionally demanding piece of work before I found the way back to the series having never seen the final episode. All that time I was determined to eventually hunt it down and – heaven help me! – secure the identity of that actor who was the BEST Sheriff of Nottingham I'd ever seen but whose name I'd never been able to track down as a result of immediately after seeing the series, heading off to university, moving to another city and leaving my former life behind. Thank goodness for youtube! It was just like yesterday and I've been catching up with the Blakes 7 world ever since, enjoying over the last several years what for many of you has been a constant. Like Space Rat, Paul Darrow made many of my bad, sad times happier. I wish I'd met him. From everything those who have met him have said on this site, he was clearly a charming, delightful man. Despite a perception of him built purely around his acting, his appearances on TV talk-back and recorded conventions, and from his books and other writings, I'll still miss him greatly.

So, thank-you Paul Darrow for all the pleasure you've brought to so many people's lives. You'll live on in our hearts and minds.

Forever Avon Angry
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron!GrinFrown

http://www.etsy.com/au/shop/SeraglioDesigns
mrsbookmark
" I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care, or, indeed, why it should be necessary to prove it at all. "

My favorite. R.I.P. Paul Darrow.

briggsy1
My favourite Avon speech is probably the one to Blake where he talks about him "leading the rabble to victory" and "wading in blood up to his armpits." A great piece of writing beautifully delivered by Mr.Darrow.

daro2096
I don't think I can add anything more than what others have written but it is a sad time for B7 fans. No more Blake's 7. Sad We are lucky we have had him around the last 5 years.

Rest in peace Paul.

The Core
I haven't posted here in some time (as in 'now what the heck is my password?' length of time), and real life prevented me coming here earlier in the week, but this sad news made me want to metaphorically be 'with' fellow fans.

As others have said, Avon was my first TV crush, and the character started a trend for me liking anti-heroes in film and TV. Reading the news as I waited for my coffee on Tuesday morning was upsetting and I went on to have a pretty rubbish day at work - as if everything combined to go bad in sympathy.

It has, however, made me start to watch episodes again, and I have been reminded how much I enjoy Blake's 7, even though some of its brightest stars are now gone.

Johannes
Shocked and saddened to hear the news about Paul. For me, as for many others, he was the outstanding character in B7 and was one of the main reasons for rewatching the programme after a gap of four decades. May he rest in peace.

Travisina
Our obituary is now up on the website here: Paul Darrow
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

Anniew
Well done Travisina. Really does him justice.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

clanger68
Moving, deserved and lovely thank you.
aquitar.blakes-7.co.uk/Animation/Scorpio_100.gif

Vila - "I plan to live forever - or die trying"

http://www.exewing.co.uk
briggsy1
Since it appears that BBC Radio4 aren't doing an official obituary tonight (not sure why) I shall read the Horizon one instead. Thanks.

Travisina
briggsy1 wrote:

Since it appears that BBC Radio4 aren't doing an official obituary tonight (not sure why) .

Maybe they'll have one next week?

briggsy1
Perhaps it happened too late to include in the programme?

Travisina
briggsy1 wrote:

Perhaps it happened too late to include in the programme?

That's what I'm wondering.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.69 seconds
23,269,641 unique visits since 8th January 2014