Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Big Finish (non-Blake's 7)
Spaceship Dispatcher
The Dark Flame - a plot that kind of runs out of imagination half way through, but a nice easy listen and a good homage to the 1990s original novel range The New Adventures; always good to hear Sylvester, Sophie and Lisa working together!
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
August's bundle of BF audios included two Dr Who adventures, called The Shadow Heart and The Assassination Games, and the a recent dramatisation of Oscar Wilde's classic novel The Picture of Dorian Grey; the Dr Who dramas are the stories that lead into the spin-off series Vienna and Counter Measures...

The Assassination Games

Listened to this one this morning, such was the excitement of opening it yesterday! This one is a prequel to the very good spin-off series Counter Measures, itself based upon s25 story Remembrance of the Daleks from the 1988 anniversary season. Interestingly, the story here is primarily an instalment of that series with the Doctor and Ace appearing as supporting characters and always seen through the eyes of the CM team. It's an approach that works for me, having enjoyed CM s1 and s2 so much previously, and it gives a consistency of sound and narrative with CM in a way that the loud and fast style of most 'main range' Dr Who audio dramas might not. The plot is a very traditional, old fashioned alien infiltration of the government conspiracy tale that works here especially well because it keeps the limits of the threat within the abilities of the CM team to defeat it with the Doctor's help; rather than being reduced to a role as bystanders with only the Doctor able to save the Earth, as would usually be the case. All of the Doctor Who and CM regulars are on good form here, and its a great advert for both brands. 9/10
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
The Shadow Heart - 7/10

This was pretty good. I was a little worried that it was too 'space fantasy' for my usual tastes, and the story too likely to be told through a lot of special sound effects, but it was actually quite dramatic on a human level and had a good logical plot. There's a sort of quest theme to it, and a small slice of wibbly wobbly timey wimey... stuff, but it was easy to follow and allowed the cast to really shine. As the story that launched spin-off series Vienna, it had an extra element - introducing a new regular character. I'm buying the Vienna collections because I met Chase Masterson at a convention two years ago and found her to be a nice, welcoming person - so there's proof for Big Finish that taking cast members on promo activities does work...

Spaceship Dispatcher
My bundle of Big Finish dramas for September, delivered this morning, included:

Blake's 7: The Liberator Chronicles #9
Counter Measures series 3
The Avengers: Collection 2
Terry Nation's Survivors series 1

Comments to follow when I have had a listen over the next week or so!

The Picture of Dorian Gray - 6/10

This was a story about which I had no previous knowledge, except that Blake's 7: Rescue was inspired by it. Apart from the very disappointing lack of a Sea Devil in this version, it was reasonably good. The leading cast of Alexander Vlahos (Dorian Gray) and Miles Richardson (Lord Henry Wotton) put in performances worthy of special note, and carried a story that raced around times and places at too great a pace for the story to really settle down or explore its full potential. Good, but not great.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 04 September 2014 16:31:19

Gauda Cheese
I heard both Rocket Men Companion Chronicles and wow, great stuff.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

JustBrad
I know I am years behind, but I have just listened to Dark Eyes for the first time, and... Wow. I want more Paul McGann.

Spaceship Dispatcher
JustBrad wrote:

I know I am years behind, but I have just listened to Dark Eyes for the first time, and... Wow. I want more Paul McGann.

Not really keen on Dark Eyes myself, as much as I love the McGann Doctor in all his audios. Most of the ones he did with India Fisher were excellent and tended to be much deeper and darker than the tv series either old or new, but were also very arc-heavy for those dipping into the range. The series with Sheridan Smith as Lucie Miller were much shorter with most stories only a single disk, much lighter and more comedic, and also more accessible to the casual listener. Dark Eyes was too 'artistic'* and timey-wimey for me, so I stopped my subs after the first 2 series.

*I love artistic visuals, as long they're not too effects heavy, but prefer very simple 'studio sound' audio drama.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Who are they read by GC? Some of the Chrons were very good.

Gauda Cheese
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Who are they read by GC? Some of the Chrons were very good.

The Rocket Men is William Russell and Return of the Rocket Men is Peter Purves.

I get all the Purves ones asap as I love Steven and a lot of the Russell ones are also amazing. The CC's are their best Who range I reckonOops

Ela
I love Paul McGann. He has a great voice and does a wonderful job with the Big Finish audio dramas. I started out listening to Blood of the Daleks, the first Big Finish story I bought - cause it was on sale. I heard him in The Light and the End and Dark Eyes. Then I went back to the beginning and started with Storm Warning and have been working my way through his main range stories. I think I have two more to go.

rojkerr1
I Like Invaders from Mars mcgann story, very well written

Ela
Invaders from Mars was a lot of fun. I actually listened to that one before Storm Warning, I am now remembering.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Counter Measures series 3 - 6/10

Another good outing, although the series is becoming more arc heavy which imo a downward trend; I know Big Finish says arcs add extra story, but imo they detract from the perfectly good individual stories already there. The first episode of s3 is divided between a plot and trying to unravel the mess made with the finale of the previous set, and the final episode here ends on a cliff-hanger and means the adventure is incomplete. Even apart from the annoyance value, this represents poor value for the customer as you buy a complete box set but don't get a completed story. The two middle episodes are the highlight and feature a Stone Tape homage set in a modern tower block construction project and a plot involving an experimental new weapon; the latter story is presented very much in the style of 1950s sci-fi movie! The cast are on good form through all four episodes, but all too often the formula that was based on a lovely raport is abandoned in favour of characters bellowing and whining at each other over personal differences. Two excellent individual efforts that I would rate as 8/10, but overall as a collection its more of a 6/10.

The Avengers collection 2 - 10/10

This series of audios re-enacting the scripts of lost episodes of The Avengers has just about nudged Sherlock Holmes aside as my favourite Big Finish series! It's not just that the production values are great, and the original source material contains some excellent stories, but the level of authenticity is amazing; the music is the original score, but the sound effects and incidental tracks are also accurate and make it sound - different cast members aside - like soundtrack recordings of actual 1960s episodes! Julian Wadham is a good Steed, and plays the part in his way so as not to drift into the realms of Patrick Macnee impressions, and Anthony Howells of Foyle's War fame plays the original leading role of Dr Keel; while original Avengers girl Carol is played by Lucy Briggs-Owen, who makes Dr Keel's secretary sound absolutely lovely. The plots are entirely crime based, but one episode called The Radioactive Man was based upon a previous television play and features a science fiction element (literally...)

Terry Nation's Survivors series 1 - 7/10

Have only listened to the first two episodes of this and, although the production values and performances are all very good, I'm not sure that I'll continue into the second series next year. There is lots here in common with the 1981 tv adaptation of Day of the Triffids, and the Survivors s2 story Lights of London, with the centre of the action being a commune set up in a London university and led by a former lecturer turned maniacal dictator with henchmen terrorising the streets and plans for raping all the younger women. Unfortunately, what this series does not appear to have much in common with is the original series of Survivors written by Terry Nation! If it had been titled Survivors: Meanwhile in the City then it might have been better, but this is very different to the original show despite being a good post-apocalyptic drama in its own right. 7/10 as a drama, but probably 6/10 as a spin-off of Survivors as a show.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Just listened to the third episode of Survivors series one and it's even further off the mark sadly. We have Greg and Jenny cracking jokes to each other about the death and heading towards London to search for supplies, and then Greg starts proclaiming the virtues of a confederation of communities! More than that though, the whole premise here is a fraction of what the original series offered: this is a serial without any particular emphasis from one episode to the next, and it's also very clear in it's depiction of goodies versus baddies. The original series excelled in showing what happens when good people are forced through circumstances or lack of experience into doing bad things. Not able to recommend this series unfortunately, despite desperately wanting it to be brilliant.

Spaceship Dispatcher
October's bundle of CDs has just arrived by courier this morning:

The Worlds of Doctor Who - a collection of 4 linked stories to celebrate 15 years of Big Finish
Doctor Who: Philip Hinchcliffe Presents - two stories starring Tom Baker and Louise Jameson
Doctor Who: The Final Phase - starring Tom Baker and featuring Mary Tamm's final performance as Romana

Gauda Cheese
Lemme know what the Hinchcliffe stuff is like.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Lemme know what the Hinchcliffe stuff is like.

No problem - and I'll bear in mind that we enjoy very different aspects of the show, so will avoid just saying bits were good or not so good etc.

BradPaula
Just completed listening to Dark Eyes, by Nicholas Briggs (written, directed and Dalek voices). Good solid Paul McGann episode with the addition of one of our favorite actors, Toby Jones. I'd recommend it highly. The story is interesting and engaging, the acting superb and now I'll have something to discuss with Nick when we see him at TARDIS con in November. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

Just completed listening to Dark Eyes, by Nicholas Briggs (written, directed and Dalek voices). Good solid Paul McGann episode with the addition of one of our favorite actors, Toby Jones. I'd recommend it highly...

Glad you enjoyed it - I thought it was terrible and gave both I and II away to Trevor Travis to listen to!! Grin

I much, much prefer Paul's series with India Fisher as Charley Pollard, or those with Sheridan Smith as Lucy...

BradPaula
@Alex: Did Molly's broad Irish accent put you off? Brad thought it was a bit over-the-top, but I liked it. Oh, to each his own. -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.63 seconds
9,799,980 unique visits since 8th January 2014