Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Big Finish (non-Blake's 7)
Spaceship Dispatcher
rojkerr1 wrote:

Looking forward to hearing the Survivors, Greg Preston, Jenny and Abby!

Oh yes, looking forward to that here too! Trying to read between the lines of what has been announced so far, it seems the audio series will re-tell the story within the same fictional universe with its own new characters that we follow through the death and then meet up with the original tv series characters in a later episode. This seems sensible, to introduce all the Big Finish customers who might not have seen the show before.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Spaceship Dispatcher
Sherlock Holmes - The Reification of Hans Gerber

The bfp range of Sherlock Holmes audio dramas really is an outstanding part of their range. The balance between telling the 'whole story' while still keeping the recognisable first person format, with the tales recounted by Dr Watson, is a difficult one to achieve but is managed successfully. Nick Briggs is perfect as Holmes, recalling many aspects of the legendary Jeremy Brett's interpretation - vocally at least - and then adds even more temperamental energy to the performance. Many of the productions have an amazing gothic Victorian atmosphere, and this is one of the best in that regard. This is enhanced by subtle sound design, something that other bfp productions would also benefit from, that allows the perfectly matched cast raise and lower their characters' emotions and always be heard clearly. The twists and turns are especially interesting, but always recognisably in Conan-Doyle's style even though this is a new adventure. Great writing and performances, and very high production values.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
The bundle for May was all Dr Who related with Dark Eyes II starring Paul McGann and The Judgement of Jalxxar starring Tom Baker. DE2 was even less impressive than DE1 sadly, which I didn't think was possible, but the Tom Baker audio was a lot of fun as it reunited the Doctor with Jago and Litefoot for the first time. What BFP have done with the McGann audios they would probably call 'giving the stories energy' but I call it rushed and confused - that's confused rather than confusing, as you can follow it but the narrative is as random and garbled as the worst excesses of Steven Moffat...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Audio bundle for June: (not really a mystery bundle as I broke my normal rules and chose this month's stories)

Graceless s3
Dr Who: Scavenger (Colin Baker)
Sherlock Holmes: The Tangled Skein

Comments to follow...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Audio bundle for July:

Dr Who: Phantoms of the Deep and The Dalek Contract (both with Tom Baker)
Blake's 7: The Liberator Chronicles Volume 8

Graceless s3 was excellent! So good I listened to all 3 hours of drama in one morning. It was an amazing end to an amazing journey, but with a new beginning; albeit one that BF will probably not explore, though I would dearly love them too. Graceless, a spin-off from BF's Key to Time sequel trilogy, was an engaging personal story about two unique and heart warming characters that never relied on spectacle or high odds to pay the listener back for their attention. It was deep, emotional, philosophical, and always written and performed to the highest audio drama standards. You would need to have listened to the original trilogy of Fifth Doctor audios, and the spin-off Companion Chronicle called The Prisoner's Dilemma, and stuck with all three series in order to make any sense of it as its very arc heavy in terms of character development. But it was very rewarding, and my favourite Big Finish range after Sherlock Holmes.

Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Graceless, a spin-off from BF's Key to Time sequel trilogy, was an engaging personal story about two unique and heart warming characters that never relied on spectacle or high odds to pay the listener back for their attention. It was deep, emotional, philosophical, and always written and performed to the highest audio drama standards.

And Michael Keating playing a space pirate was great, too Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
Sherlock Holmes: The Tangled Skein

Really loved this one! Sherlock Holmes by Big Finish is exceptionally good and, as I have now listened to them and have none more left to review, I'll just explain what the format is: they have tried to authentically recapture the style and feel of the original short stories in pacing, language, character types and the fact that stories are mostly read in the first person by Richard Earl as Doctor Watson; three stories are adaptations of Conan-Doyle works but the rest are original to this series, except for Holmes and the Ripper which is an original work by Brian Clemens and adapted from his stage play; the music and sound design fits the period with none of Big Finish's usual trademark soundscapes, with very traditional music styles and just the odd slamming door etc sound effects. Many of the story types, while perfectly fitting the Holmes style and suiting the characters, do push the boundaries a lot with real life events and genre cross-overs mixing with explorations of drug use and violence more boldly than the Strand series. This particular story is a sequel to The Hound of the Baskervilles and crosses over with gothic vampire fiction as Holmes and Watson join forces with Dr Van Helsing to fight Count Dracula with crucifixes and silver bullets! Marvellous stuff, but not if you're a Holmes purist...

10/10

Spaceship Dispatcher
Doctor Who: Phantoms of the Deep

This was very different to many other releases in the Fourth Doctor Adventures range and my favourite Tom Baker and Mary Tamm audio drama so far, with a wonderful atmosphere of isolation and claustrophobia that was sustained all the way to the end without the usual noisy climax to these releases. There were echoes of Quatermass and the Pit mixed with elements explored in tv dramas such as The Deep (an outstanding BBC sf serial) and overall it was intriguing, clever, well developed and tense adventure that keeps the attention right to the end. I'm sure there was a continuity bungle in the final scene, but I would have to listen again to be sure! Very good though - 7/10.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Doctor Who: The Dalek Contract

Only the first part of a multi-episode story, but its a very good start and has a lot of promise for the next installment. We see the Daleks apparently working for an inter-galactic businessman and scientist played with menace and good humour by screen legend David Warner, but its equally obvious that such appearances are deceptive! One of the real highlights of both this and the previous episode, Phantoms of the Deep, is the dialogue and performance of the scenes between the 4th Doctor, Romana and K-9 which perfectly recapture the style and rapport of season 16. Looking forward to part two of this story, but a solid 7/10 score for part one...

rojkerr1
Survivors is out! Sounds good

trevor travis
rojkerr1 wrote:

Survivors is out! Sounds good

Must order that. It's quite a coup having Carolyn Seymour, Ian McCulloch and Lucy Fleming back!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Doctor Who: Scavenger

Not quite sure what to make of this one. Its a good plot and develops well with some twists and turns through the third and fourth episodes, and actually settles down to being less about a global threat than initially implied so has a pleasant immediacy compared with imo less engaging 'universe in peril' epics. Many of the performances were very good, especially Kate McEwen as the scheming politician who obstructs the Doctor's efforts to save the day. Anjli Mohindra (Rani in the Sarah Jane Adventures) however is pretty awful at attempting an Indian accent that comes out as a cross between a Cardiff accent and Cheryl Cole in full flow. If her character had been a woman of Indian decent who just happened to grow up in Nottingham (like Anjli and, apparently, Rani) then it would have been fine, and it seems to contradict the multi-racial message of the production that an English actress has to drop the Midlands accent she has as a result of racial integration and attempt a fake Indian one instead. Never mind, she tried her best and otherwise the performance was okay. The space setting, a good attempt to set a story amidst real life space travel rather than the fantasy television version, was well realised even if the physics slipped a couple of times; but it was a really good effort and BF deserve credit for that. What emerges over the course of the story is the fact that at its heart this is a romance more than its about fighting a threat from outer space, and that emotional depth pays dividends and raises this drama up a level. Overall, a good drama with a good setting that suffers only through a poor directorial choice with the accents and a slightly choatic middle third - 7/10

Spaceship Dispatcher
Over the past week or so I have been picking titles out of my collection from past years for a relisten, and have been enjoying most of them just as much as the first time around - more so in a couple cases:

Oh No It Isn't!
Land of the Dead
The Fearmonger
Winter for the Adept
ID

The first of those is the earliest Big Finish audio, an adaptation of a Virgin New Adventures novel starring Bernice (the Doctor's companion from the novels) as the principle character, and its still great entertainment all these years later; the story is set in a world like the Land of Fiction but where all the characters become part of one big and very confused pantomime, and featured Nick Courtney as an anthropomorphic cat called Wolsey no less! Land of the Dead worked for me less this time around, probably because the horror element of indescribable creatures ripping people apart has been done over and over again almost into infinity by the company since in later releases. The Fearmonger featured Jacqueline Pearce in a very clever role, as she initially starts out apparently as a Servalan homage and villain but actually turns out to be unconnected to the main alien threat. Winter for the Adept was always a favourite audio for me, and it was great to find that I enjoyed it even more now than ever before; set in an isolated and haunted boarding school half way up a mountain, it also featured the first Big Finish role for India Fisher. Finally, so far, I relistened to ID the other day and enjoyed that even more than first time around too; starring Colin Baker as the Doctor, it explores ideas of cosmetic surgery and identity theft and rolled them together in a fascinating and inventive way! The plan is to revisit some more before I start my next fanfic project...

rojkerr1
great stuff, I like the Apocalypse element, spare parts, the first mccoy dalek one with the liquid life forms that drown the daleks in their casings

wall1885
I was always cautious with audios - I tried a couple of BF's Dr Who audios in the early days and I just didnt enjoy them.
I dont know if I just listened to the wrong ones or maybe not being a massive 'Who' fan I just didnt appreciate them.

Then in 2001, in my local Virgin Megastore (it may have been HMV) I stumbled across BF's first Tomorrow People Adventure - I wasnt online in those days so coming across this was a great surprise - I was always a big TP fan but it was always hard to find others that shared the same passion.

I loved it, over the next few years I bought them all & every adventure got better than the previous one- great writing & production & really interesting character development - I was truly gutted when BF's licence wasnt renewed. Unfortunately these audios are now very hard to find - Amazon has some individual CD's going for 100's YES! 100's - but if you're patient they do crop up on Ebay every now and then at more sensible prices.

A friend then lent me a couple of the Doctor Who Companion Chronicles - again they just didnt do anything for me.

I then discovered BF's Highlander audios - I only have the first series but again - Fantastic - I couldnt believe that BF had managed to get TV's Highlander, Adrian Paul, to read these - that really made them interesting to me.

I then journeyed into Sapphire & Steel - I was more cautious with these as it wasnt the original TV cast playing the roles

( although I think BF really need to give themselves a massive round of applause for the amount of success they have had, across their many ranges, in getting original cast members involved)

- Sapphire & Steel was a grower - I wont lie the biggest barrier for me was accepting David Warner and Susannah Harker in their roles. Once I did I discovered that I really was becoming an audio fan- especially when the writing & acting was as high in quality as it was.

The Survivors & The Avengers sets are my latest listens - I would say to any fan of these 2 shows - get these audios you wont be disappointed.

I am also looking forward to the upcoming Omega Factor & Night of the Triffids ones - again 2 more fandoms that I enjoyed when younger - I hope these live up to my memories & expectations.

I have decided to give up on trying Doctor Who - even though this is a massive range for BF and was obviously the starting point of what has become a great adventure and (I hope) a successful business for them.

I will continue to subscribe to Blake's 7 and occasionally try out others-
By the end of next year BF will have been producing new B7 for 4 years - the same amount of time as the TV Series ran for and assuming they release 4 more Lib Chrons - they would have given us more Blake's 7 episodes than was on TV - a few years back all of us could only dream of this.
I'll take Big Finish audios with original cast members over all of the TV reboot rumors any day!

Apologies all - I know this thread is about the other BF stuff- I just got carries away a bit at the end

Spaceship Dispatcher
Today's relisten was Whispers of Terror, a favourite from new and still a favourite now I'm happy to say! Its from that time at the beginning of the range when everything was untried and they were still working out the 'house style' of the audios, so the 6th Doctor and Peri are very authentic to how they appeared on screen; later of course the series would explore new directions and character development that took both Colin and Nicola far away from their television portrayals. And this is a story that uses the audio medium as part of the plot, with sound booths and editing suites the setting for the adventure as well as the actual recording. There are stand out performances from Peter Miles and Lisa Bowerman, better known as the audio Bernice Summerfield, and sound effects that add colour to the scenes in a well balanced way.

@ rojkerr1... oh yes! The Genocide Machine is definately another one due a relisten soon...

rojkerr1
Love the genocide machine, so many in-jokes, another tarrant, the "non speaking" curators assistant! Love the hyper intelligent stuttering dalek!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Today's relisten was Primeval, a sequel/prequel (timey-wimey stuff) to The Keeper of Traken; itself one of my favourite JNT era stories. This was very nicely told, with the same theatrical style as the serial it was based upon, with lots of discussion and exposition scenes instead of action. The villain is played by Stephen Greif who expertly plays an ancient being with incredible super powers without chewing up the sound booth; an over the top role but not an ott performance. Its a great story for Sarah Sutton, and a good example of how Big Finish have used the audios to develop characters beyond what the cast had to work with on television - as much as this does create a parallel sub-canon.

Spaceship Dispatcher
wall1885 wrote:

The Survivors & The Avengers sets are my latest listens - I would say to any fan of these 2 shows - get these audios you wont be disappointed. I am also looking forward to the upcoming Omega Factor & Night of the Triffids ones - again 2 more fandoms that I enjoyed when younger - I hope these live up to my memories & expectations.

The Avengers audios are excellent, and amazingly authentic beyond my wildest hopes or expectations. What I would say to any prospective buyers reading this thread is that you would ideally need to be a fan of the original show and not only the later Diana Rigg/Linda Thorson continuation to really get into these. As for the Survivors, Triffids and Omega Factor - these are all on pre-order with my regular shop and I'm looking forward to all three very much! For anyone that doesn't know, the Omega Factor range will kick off with an audiobook of a novelisation of the original series read by original star Louise Jameson; this will be followed by a range of dramatised new adventures. Its a golden age for audio dramas based on classic cult television!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Gave a relisten to Colditz earlier this week; an interesting example of doing a 'timey-wimey' plot that doesn't involve actually travelling around the paradox but merely observing the effects of it from one location and point in time, speculating upon the nature of the issues to describe both cause and effect without baffling the viewer/listener by moving the players around too much. Its one of the better post-series 26 stories for Ace as a character, allowing her to mature beyond the wild adolescent attitudes and behaviours sadly seen too much on screen without reinventing the character (qv Deceit) or losing the atmosphere of the original period of the show. There's a guest role for David Tennant, long before his casting of the Doctor or even the launch of the new series, as a Nazi officer at the camp; the role of Feldwebel Kurtz here is interesting in light of the recent discussion on this site about the portrayal of sexual threat in SF drama; the sub-plot of Kurtz' repeated attempts to strip, hurt and rape Ace are right there in the foreground of the play. This drama manges to balance being recognisable as Doctor Who while also becoming quite dark and adult in the treatment of its characters and the setting of a prison camp behind Nazi lines. Very much in the spirit of the the better New Adventures (the range of original novels that preceded BF in the world of Dr Who spin-off media) and a deeply engaging listen, this is highly a recommended 9/10

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.50 seconds
9,912,778 unique visits since 8th January 2014