Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 1
MrEModels

· Total Rebels: 1,075
· Newest Rebel: Avonandonly

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
24% [33 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [21 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [9 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [23 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
7% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 137
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
How long did our heroes refuse to drink and eat?
Lurena
Just a thought:
On the way to Cygnus Alpha the Federation used their unspecified suppressants in food and drink on the London too to keep the prisoners docile.
But how long did our heroes refuse to drink and eat?

-They had to wait with their escape actions until Gan was “clean” too, which had to last about a day and a half. (The Way Back, RAVELLA: All our food and drink is treated with suppressants. Going without for a day and a half, they should be wearing off.)

-Blake was without drink or food for 36 hours before he went Outside.
He had his trial, which took some time and it had to take 24 hours before the London to take-off.
But I guess, in the meantime Blake got some clean food and drink from Varon to keep his mind clear.

-In the transit cell Jenna and Vila must have been told by Blake about the treatment of food and drink with the suppressants. They may have started not to eat and drink then.
(It must have been a torture for Vila with his longing and love for food and drink)

-And then Kerr Avon.
We know he is capable not to sleep and not to eat for long periods. As he was Federation before his sentence, he knew about the suppressants and thus knew that had to avoid food and drink to keep his mind clear for working out one or another escaping plan. How cool must he have been in this crisis, knowing one’s brain can hardly work and one can hardly survive three days without water.

Do you have any other ideas about this?
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
JustBrad
Thirty Six hours seems a safe bet, given the precedent of The Way Back.

However, in Cygnus Alpha Atrix states that they are now also dosing the air supply. It appears that this was after Blake, Jenna, and Avon had stolen Liberator, so they would not be affected.

The big question is this: How does Atrix dose the air supply with suppressants in a way that affects the prisoners, but not the crew?

Is there an antidote the crew is given? If so, could Vila have stolen it?
Do the Prisoner's quarters and crew sections have different air systems? If so, could Avon have reprogrammed it?

Finally, we don't know the full effects of the suppressants.

winnie-l
JustBrad wrote:Thirty Six hours seems a safe bet, given the precedent of The Way Back.
I once heard a science radio talk show with info about that; it was a while ago, but IIRC it included data that 36 hours without liquid would cause a human being *great* distress & IIRC expected said human to be vulnerable to hallucinations, etc.

.... Guess that's for a mere mortal human in this day & age.
Maybe an Alpha like Blake (and was Ravella an Alpha too?) is made of much stronger stuff.

Lurena
Yes Winnie, it is a well-known fact that dehydration and starvation will affect- and is are harmful to organ systems throughout the body.
One can endure three days thirst strike which will cause light to mild damage.

I think they had to fight the effects, such as headache, increased heart rate, nausea and dizziness.
They must have acted in the nick of time.

Mrs_Underhill
36 hours with no food or drink would have caused a person a lot of distress.
But maybe Ravella and Co wanted Blake on this extreme regime in order to help him to remember something, despite his conditioning? They might have thought that even a trace of suppressants could make remembering more difficult.

Ravella didn't say she herself went without food and drink for 36 hours - but she probably had access to clean water and food from the outsiders.

Still, Blake would have that 36 hours estimate to guide himself and the others on "London" to stay clear-headed.
But that estimate would surely have been adjusted down because they only needed to function, they didn't need to be crystal clear of drugs for that.

And that too would vary from person to person: it's like with being able to handle your drink. Don't have to be absolutely sober to drive, just need to have your senses sharp enough.

So I'd imagine Blake's group would cut down on food and water as much as needed to be alert enough to keep the plan going. And would alternate between lean periods and rest periods when they would eat and drink to restore their strength.
They might even have kept rotating schedule: who's on a diet and who's resting from it.

sweevo
I'd go nuts, but then, I have been known to eat and drink nothing when I'm super-focused, so it's possible.

Child Of Auron
winnie-l wrote:

JustBrad wrote:Thirty Six hours seems a safe bet, given the precedent of The Way Back.
I once heard a science radio talk show with info about that; it was a while ago, but IIRC it included data that 36 hours without liquid would cause a human being *great* distress & IIRC expected said human to be vulnerable to hallucinations, etc.

Maybe an Alpha like Blake (and was Ravella an Alpha too?) is made of much stronger stuff.

So if Blake was hallucinating at the start of The Way Back, could all the next 51.5 episodes just been a bad dream? Being shot by Avon wakes Blake up and he's back on Earth??????

Lurena
Child Of Auron wrote:

So if Blake was hallucinating at the start of The Way Back, could all the next 51.5 episodes just been a bad dream? Being shot by Avon wakes Blake up and he's back on Earth??????

Child Of Auron, you have the point!

This is exactly where I was hoping for as the series progressed and secretly I like to imagine it to be true.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Child Of Auron wrote:

winnie-l wrote:

So was it Avon or Bobby in the shower??
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

BradPaula
Vanssa: That was my idea too. Was it all a dream?? <grin> Granted, I never watched the series, but I do remember the huge uproar it caused.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

JustBrad
There was actually a brilliant fan fic zine way back based on this principal. Might have been titled The Totally Imaginary Cheese Board, but I might be thinking of a different story.

Avon was captured after Star One. Everything you see in S3 and S4 was his programming by Psychostrategists, including Gauda Prime. He was then released, said puppet masters sure that eventually Blake would find him, and Avon would react as he had been programmed.

Meanwhile Blake is still on Liberator, and has added Tarrant, Dayna, and Soolin to his crew. IIRC Jenna is missing for a time.

The Tarrant, Dayna, and Soolin we know from the series aren't the real people, but actors paid to play a role as part of Avon's 'live action simulation programming.'

Perhaps someone can verify the title. It was a riveting read.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
JustBrad wrote:

There was actually a brilliant fan fic zine way back based on this principal. Might have been titled The Totally Imaginary Cheese Board, but I might be thinking of a different story.

Avon was captured after Star One. Everything you see in S3 and S4 was his programming by Psychostrategists, including Gauda Prime. He was then released, said puppet masters sure that eventually Blake would find him, and Avon would react as he had been programmed.

Meanwhile Blake is still on Liberator, and has added Tarrant, Dayna, and Soolin to his crew. IIRC Jenna is missing for a time.

The Tarrant, Dayna, and Soolin we know from the series aren't the real people, but actors paid to play a role as part of Avon's 'live action simulation programming.'

I remember reading one similar to that back in the depths of time...

Lurena
JustBrad wrote:

Ah yes, I remember something like that Brad, but it is not titled "he Totally Imaginary Cheese Board". I think that was a story about Avon and Mr Darrow exchanging their roles at a convention or something like that. I'll try and dig deep in my memory.

Child Of Auron
Vanessa Doffenshmirtz wrote:

So was it Avon or Bobby in the shower??

According to TT it's Soolin, isn't it? Grin

winnie-l
JustBrad wrote:There was actually a brilliant fan fic zine way back based on this principal. Might have been titled The Totally Imaginary Cheese Board, but I might be thinking of a different story.

Avon was captured after Star One. Everything you see in S3 and S4 was his programming by Psychostrategists...
Not familiar with that one, but a similar is "Illusions and Realities" by Peladon, where all S4 episodes are illusions Avon (still a prisoner on Terminal) is made to believe... then he escapes....
It's rather rambly & static at times (whole chapters just of someone's thoughts - no action) but despite that, overall pretty good. IMHO.

Yes as Lurena said "Totally Imaginary Cheeseboard" was Paul Darrow & Avon switching places between a Blake's 7 1980's US Con & Liberator. It mainly focussed on Avon at the B7 con.... it... had its moments.
I think I liked "The Other Side of the Coin" (about Paul Darrow on Liberator) better.

JustBrad
I think the story I was referring to is titled: The Mind of Man Is A Double Edges Sword.

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

I think the story I was referring to is titled: The Mind of Man Is A Double Edges Sword.

I think I remember that.

There was also an excellent fan fic (nope, can't remember title or author) in which Season 1 Avon & Season 4 Avon swap places, and each was able to put things right. Anyone know which that was?
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Mrs_Underhill
JustBrad wrote:

There is also this one, with similar plot idea and it's quite good: The Interminable Nightmare by Willa Shakespeare.

BradPaula
Travisina wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

I think I remember that.

There was also an excellent fan fic (nope, can't remember title or author) in which Season 1 Avon & Season 4 Avon swap places, and each was able to put things right. Anyone know which that was?

That sounds familiar. I may have it upstairs. Would have to go through a lot of fanzines to find it. *Muses* Oh, the old days when we all collected fan fic you could hold in your hand!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Mrs_Underhill wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

There is also this one, with similar plot idea and it's quite good: The Interminable Nightmare by Willa Shakespeare.

Ah! that was the one I was thinking of.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
18,689,061 unique visits since 8th January 2014