Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Doctor Who Discussion Thread
Asimov
Hi President Solvite,

I totally agree 3ds max is much better at rendering than Inventor. I haven't got the design suit, and I am on max 2012 and inventor 2014, so transferring is possible, but not so seamless.

I am however planning on doing the texturing in max later, but I am planning to do all the modelling in Inventor first. There will be a big cleanup in 3ds max first, as inventor seems to add a lot of un-needed edges heh heh.

I am planning on using Vray for this project, even though I am quite adept with mentalray.
You can see some of my other work in my gallery.

http://www.asimov.../index.php

Spaceship Dispatcher
Yesterday and today I rewatched The Power of Three and Day of the Doctor, albeit not in the right order! The first of the two was already one of my favourites stories, and now the latter has definately joined it. First of all, TPoT; it just so completely fits my vision of what Dr Who is about - especially the post-2005 series - and my expectations of the show. There are two main levels that it works on: a very traditional, British, 1950s Quatermass style science fiction tale which is more about the mystery and enigma of the threat than the actual threat itself and gives more attention to the authorites and scientists investigating it than an antagonist; and secondly as a wonderful character drama with lots and lots of wonderful personal moments for the Williams family and their favourite madman with a box, which really goes back to the BBC Wales series roots where the lives and relationships of the Tylers were so important. On top of that we have a new semi-regular character with Kate Stewart, and explore the Brigadier's family just a little. That's what this episode is all about for the most part - ordinary people caught up the Doctor's extraordinary world and, as that's as traditional Dr Who as its possible to get, this episode is a kind of very special nostalgia trip of a different kind to the anniversary specials. Cultural references and cameo appearances from familiar people in actual real life give this story an immediacy and versimiltude that compensates for the usual off the wall space-fantasy elements of the show. Quotable dialogue fills so much of the script, especially the scene where Amy and the Doctor talk about his travels while sitting on a wall watching the Thames flow past - such a wonderful scene, one of my favourites in the new series - and its obvious that the cast are having a great time too. Going back to Friday, this was only my second viewing of Day of the Doctor; the first was all quite hard to take in due to the excitement of the anniversary celebrations. But this time around I realised how logically the episode develops from an artistic point of view; every scene change and musical cue seems designed to make you see all of the show's past in your imagination, to remember the first time you watched each story, to think about all the people who brought it to us and maybe are no longer here to share it with us any longer, to realise as clear as cut crystal how much Dr Who means to so many people of different ages and backgrounds all around the world - basically, its designed to make you blink away tears for an hour and a half. And its such a good story in itself too, with many and varied elements that fit together like a puzzle that you only see clearly when its finished and you can stand back from it. There are Daleks and Zygons and Timelords and Gallifrey and UNIT, there's past Doctors and Billie Piper and Tom Baker, there's time travel that's easy to follow in a Moffat story for once, there's loads and loads of humour without ever becoming a 'comic episode' as such, and it takes its time with lots of atmospheric and touching set pieces. These episodes are just like the show itself, with all its history and emotion and creativity and adventure. Beautiful.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 29 March 2014 21:51:18
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Asimov
Hi Spaceship Dispatcher,

Was reading your signature and thought this.

Do one more thing for me. There's a little girl waiting in a garden. She's going to wait a long while, so she's going to need a lot of hope. Go to her. Tell her a story. Tell her that if she's patient, the days are coming that she'll never forget. Tell her she'll go to sea and fight pirates. She'll fall in love with a man who'll wait two-thousand years to keep her safe. Tell her she'll give hope to the greatest painter who ever lived and save a whale in outer space. Tell her this is the story of Amelia Pond. And this is how it ends.

And then she meets the weeping angel and dies quite tragically, having her life stolen, and this is how it really ends.

Apart from that book she wrote heh heh.

Mind you I agree with you that she was up near the top of good companions, but doesn't quite beat Sarah Jane Smith, or Jo Grant if you ask me.
Oh I think K-9 is up there too, but not chameleon, definately not him LOL.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Asimov wrote:

Hi Spaceship Dispatcher,

Was reading your signature and thought this.

And then she meets the weeping angel and dies quite tragically, having her life stolen, and this is how it really ends.

Apart from that book she wrote heh heh.

Not that she is killed by the Angel as such, its more a sort of 'time travel captivity' that she can't return to the present day; but her and Rory do live out their lives to old age. My signature is the afterword of the novel, where she leaves a final message to the Doctor, and I just thought it was so beautifully written; slightly awkward and emotional which makes it feel right somehow. Don't know if you agree Asimov, but for me the ending of The Angels Take Manhattan was quite a change for a Moffat script because its simple and allows the characters to take over.

Asimov wrote:

Mind you I agree with you that she was up near the top of good companions, but doesn't quite beat Sarah Jane Smith, or Jo Grant if you ask me.
Oh I think K-9 is up there too, but not chameleon, definately not him LOL.

Still undecided about Jo Grant - not that she was good or bad necessarily in the fictional world, but from a real world point of view because her character changes quite erratically between some stories. But definately, Sarah Jane Smith was one of the greats of Dr Who; she benefitted from logical character development, strong story lines and dialogue and of course Lis Sladen's amazing performance.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
The question was raised on Doctor Who Online a couple of days ago whether, the canon issue aside, the 1996 special starring Paul McGann is an addition to the original series or a predecessor to the new series; one member over there suggested that its 'classic series' because it shares the same packaging style as the original show on the dvd release.

But it did make me think about the episode and write down my thoughts when I watched it most recently, when the Special Edition dvd was released which was also the first time I had watched it since the new series started. This is what I wrote:

Interesting question - in my own mind its "proto-New Series" because of the many ideas that, while not 'new' ideas as such, were new to Dr Who at the time and a major culture shock but which have since been incorporated into the show's format and are now considered normal. These included: the cathedral inspired control room which everyone said was American rubbish but which has always been the norm for post-2005 episodes; the orchestral music score instead of electronic backgrounds; location filming out on busy city streets instead of deserted roads at 5am on a Sunday morning; the Doctor showing he can be attracted to the companion and sharing a gentle kiss, which was built up out of all proportion at the time; setting the story in America (allegedly destroying the 'quintisential Englishness' of the show) which has now happened more than once post-2005 including another BBC/US co-production; the 'companion' only being in the one story, but now qv Lady Christina and others; using a setting like a busy hospital with the medical staff being major characters, derided by some as jumping on the ER bandwagon, which has since been repeated with Martha and Rory; using the Daleks just for the first scene, derided as confusing because either its a 'Dalek story' or it isn't - but now we have monster cameos all the time; having some sort of direct link to the power source of the Timelords inside the Tardis instead of just machinery, which was used again in the whole Bad Wolf finale in 2005. There are so many ideas that were new and bit of a shock that were rubbished as 'not proper Who' or 'too American' that are now part of the show all the time. I write this as someone who hated the TV Movie on first broadcast because it didn't fit my idea of Dr Who, and I had plenty of reasons for not liking it at the time. But when watching the movie for the first time since the new series started I realised that these ideas now did fit my vision of the show, thanks to the efforts and creativity of Russell and Steven, and it was actually very exciting to see the origins of the show's new revival.

BradPaula
SD writes:'Still undecided about Jo Grant'. What's there not to like about Del's kid sister? -Paula
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Asimov
Hi Spaceship Dispatcher,

I have watched the 1996 movie, many times and although not a great fan, it is one I own.

There are many things I liked about the film, and equally many I disliked.

Ok I will start with what I liked. I loved the start of the film. I loved the way the TARDIS materialised in the middle of a shootout, and there was at least 5minutes cut here to make it a PG. I loved the scale of the inside of the Tardis, and I liked the setting. I even liked Paul McGann as the doctor. I even thought the scene with puccini and madam butterfly was good. I loved the frankenstien references when he regenerated, but it kinda went down hill after that.

Now I will go on to what I didn't like about the movie. For a start very bad writing, hated the design of the interior of the Tardis apart from the size.
What I didn' t like about the interior was the obvious Jules verne look of the Tardis. I always thought of the Tardis as very shabby on the outside and gleaming metal on the inside. A total contrast if you like, but what was delivered to us was just another Jules verne time travel story.

I hate all things about the Doctor kissing his companions. Now I could understand it, if she was actually a Gallifrreyan, but not a human. The doctor was fond of humanity, not as a love interest, but as a human is fond of a pet, or how a human may stroke a cat with affection. He is not even human, and does not think how a human would think.

Oh the line about being half human, that made no sense after keeping it quiet for over 800 years.

The biggest thing I hated about the movie is the ending. Just go back in the Tardis and wind back time. Wow wonder why he didn't think about that before, or after LOL.

The other annoying thing was this. Every Doctor who fan who knows his stuff knows that the "eye of harmony" is a captured black hole kept under the panopticon on Gallifrey, so why was it suddenly inside the Tardis, and could only be opened by a human, poppycock. They also made this error with the Matt Smith version, but it might have had something to do with the Time War. Stupid thing with Matt Smith incarnation, why would he have to recharge his Tardis in Cardiff when he is holding a black hole in his cellar heh heh.

I do re-watch the 1996 movie, as I re-watch the Peter Cushin movies, but I don't think of them as being part of the series, even though they keep insisting on putting his face in all the time LOL.

However the 7 minute short he made before the 50th anniversary was absolutely brillient, much better than the movie he was on, and I would like to see more of that.

PS. I have moved my Tardis interior to another Thread now, and will hopefully update that as I go along
http://www.blakes...#post_9417
Edited by Angry Angel on 01 April 2014 07:19:46

Spaceship Dispatcher
Asimov wrote:

The other annoying thing was this. Every Doctor who fan who knows his stuff knows that the "eye of harmony" is a captured black hole kept under the panopticon on Gallifrey, so why was it suddenly inside the Tardis, and could only be opened by a human, poppycock...

Hi Asimov,

this is the actual quote from The Deadly Assassin that describes the Eye of Harmony; I would dispute that every Dr Who fans 'knows' about the Eye of Harmony being under the Panopticon but would say that we all made conclusions reinforced by ourselves over the years, but that the dialogue does allow room for one or two theories...

DOCTOR: Don't you realise what Rassilon did? What the Eye of Harmony is? Remember? That which balances all things. It can only be the nucleus of a black hole.
SPANDRELL: But the Eye of Harmony is a myth. It no longer exists.
DOCTOR: A myth? Spandrell, all the power of the Time Lords devolves from it. Neither flux nor wither nor change their state. Rassilon stabilised all the elements of a black hole and set them in an eternally dynamic equation against the mass of the planet. If the Master interferes, it'll be the end not only of this world, but of a hundred other worlds too.

Being something so powerful as the nucleus of a black hole, and taking into the consideration that its existence has been concealed to the point where a high official doesn't even know it exists, suggests that it isn't physically underneath the floor of the Panopticon. Its more logical that what's under the floor is a portal of some kind through which power is channelled; it would fit the style of the show both old and new for this to be the result of dimensional engineering by the Timelords. The Doctor states that 'all Timelord power devolves from it' which must include the power of time travel used by Tardises, so the capsules must also have some sort of link to the Eye through which that power is channelled. That portal being under the floor of a console room etc is a reasonable place in context, and this is further supported in Parting of the Ways when Rose again opens a portal to the power of the Tardis which is obviously something too powerful to literally be under the floor. I agree it seems an odd security feature that a Timelord would need a human to open the portal, although who opens it and how is pretty inconsistent, but its why I say that the new series is based on the 1996 special to such an extent that it has made normal things that were very strange at the time. Not on the topic of the special, but looking at the dialogue above, it seems that the black hole might be in a parallel dimension that occupies the same location as Gallifrey and thus provides the balance. And the Doctor does say that Rassilon set the black hole against the mass of a planet, not inside the mass of a planet.

edit: regards continuity of needed a human retina to open the Eye; in s27 the hatch opens for a Slitheen but not for Rose, who has to force it open. But the existence of such a link to an Eye of Harmony-like power source is consistent.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 01 April 2014 06:24:08

Asimov
Hi Spaceship Dispatcher,

I am wondering if you just cut and pasted a quote or did you actually watch the deadly assassin. I am only asking because I have watched it many times, and it goes on to prove that there is indeed a secret room under the panopticon, where the power of the timelords remain.

The "Sash of Rassilon" was indeed necessary to enter the room without being torn apart by gravitational forces. The Rod of Rassilon was needed to access the apparatus which control the black hole.

I do believe that the "Eye of harmony" inside the TARDIS is just down to a few bad writers not doing their research before writing the story, and not something that should ever have been entered into the mythology. Sometimes you get the feeling they just make it up as they go along LOL.

When the 1996 movie came out I was very excited, but I was badly let down. Although I agree it does have some good parts, and isn't all bad.
I feel the same about this movie as I do about Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. No that is a lie, HGTTG was a total disaster compared to this movie LOL.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Asimov wrote:

Hi Spaceship Dispatcher,

I am wondering if you just cut and pasted a quote or did you actually watch the deadly assassin. I am only asking because I have watched it many times, and it goes on to prove that there is indeed a secret room under the panopticon, where the power of the timelords remain.

The "Sash of Rassilon" was indeed necessary to enter the room without being torn apart by gravitational forces. The Rod of Rassilon was needed to access the apparatus which control the black hole.

To answer your points in order: although I looked up the dialogue online in order to quote it accurately, I was referring to the scene from memory and having watched the story. The existence of the secret room and the forces therein does not disprove the theory that the black hole has been engineered into another dimension, as with the interior of a Tardis, and that what we actually see is portal through which those energies flow. Needing a key to enter the chamber and equipment to control the forces would be necessary either way. The Doctor says that all Timelord tech draws power from the Eye so there must be a link between it and the capsules, therefore creating an opening into the Eye within every Tardis. If you believe the script for TDA was wrong or that the Doctor was lying then maybe not, but personally I accept what's in TDA.

Asimov wrote:

Sometimes you get the feeling they just make it up as they go along LOL.

I'm fairly sure that all the writers have been making it up as they go along since 1963. None of its actually true!

Spaceship Dispatcher
There's a debate about The Deadly Assassin and the 1996 special and no Trevor Travis yet?! Oops

trevor travis
Asimov wrote:
I do re-watch the 1996 movie, as I re-watch the Peter Cushin movies, but I don't think of them as being part of the series, even though they keep insisting on putting his face in all the time LOL.

Agree. The Peter Cushing Dalek films carry as much weight as the 1996 TV Movie.

There now seems to be a movement, led by its current writers, to include Paul McGann in the official canon. He's a fine actor and a worthy addition. But I think it's just a Doctor who looks like the Doctor from the TV Movie, which in my eyes remains unofficial. It's a coincidence, just as that bloke from the Dalek film looks like the War Lord.

DW returned in 2005, after a sixteen year gap. A one-off TV Movie would have only counted, had it led to a series. It didn't.

trevor travis
Asimov wrote:

Agree. The Peter Cushing Dalek films carry as much weight as the 1996 TV Movie.

There now seems to be a movement, led by its current writers, to include Paul McGann in the official canon. He's a fine actor and a worthy addition. But I think it's just a Doctor who looks like the Doctor from the TV Movie, which in my eyes remains unofficial. It's a coincidence, just as that bloke from the Dalek film looks like the War Lord.

DW returned in 2005, after a sixteen year gap. A one-off TV Movie would have only counted, had it led to a series. It didn't.

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

There's a debate about The Deadly Assassin and the 1996 special and no Trevor Travis yet?! Oops

Don't worry I'm here now. Grin

Easily resolved this one - The Deadly Assassin is canon, the 1996 TV Movie is not. AngrySmile

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Hi TT Grin

How does whether or not the special led to a series influence its canon status? There was no spin-off series starring Richard Hurndall in new adventures as the original Doctor, but The Five Doctors is still canon.

trevor travis

trevor travis wrote:

Hi TT Grin

How does whether or not the special led to a series influence its canon status? There was no spin-off series starring Richard Hurndall in new adventures as the original Doctor, but The Five Doctors is still canon.

Hi SD Grin

The Five Doctors was made at a time Doctor Who was in almost constantly in production by the BBC, and was an official BBC production. The TV Movie was made by a load of Americans, who didn't know what they were doing, with only nominal credits to BBC staff.

The Eye Of Harmony is not in the TARDIS - what tosh!!!! It's in the Panopticon!!

I'm sure we've been here before Grin

EDIT: And "Rose" has a lot of similarities to "Survival" - both have a surbunan setting. To me, there are adjacent episodes.
Edited by trevor travis on 01 April 2014 10:40:24

Spaceship Dispatcher
If you exclude episodes where the BBC worked with a US broadcaster, how do you reconcile the events surrounding the Doctor's death in the 2011 season if The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon are non-canon but the rest of the season is?

Re. point 2: I'm not aware anyone has said the Eye of Harmony is in the Ship, but the Doctor said in TDA that every Tardis has a direct link into it. Logically, this is what we see in the special and the Eccleston episodes.

We have been here before, but I'll try and explain to you again Grin
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 01 April 2014 10:43:03

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

"Rose" has a lot of similarities to "Survival" - both have a surbunan setting. To me, there are adjacent episodes.

Yes, The Sensorites and Planet of the Ood are definately adjacent episodes. The Aztecs to The Fires of Pompeii can't possibly be canon!

trevor travis

If you exclude episodes where the BBC worked with a US broadcaster, how do you reconcile the events surrounding the Doctor's death in the 2011 season if The Impossible Astronaut and Day of the Moon are non-canon but the rest of the season is?

Re. point 2: I'm not anyone has said the Eye of Harmony is in the Ship, but the Doctor said in TDA that every Tardis has a direct link into it. Logically, this is what we see in the special and the Eccleston episodes.

We have been here before, but I'll try and explain to you again Grin

Those were genuine co-productions, the TV movie wasn't. It was Philip Segal's flawed vision of DW - which never got anywhere. It's dismissed these days.

"Survival" in 1989 and "Rose" in 2005 have so many similarities. This is where DW picks back up, not in some dodgy TV Movie (which wasn't not even part of a series). Logically Season 27 is the next progression after Season 26...

And is said in the TV Movie, it's the actual Eye Harmony. The Eye Of Harmony. In. The. TARDIS. What rot!!!!!! AngryGrin

trevor travis
Yes, The Sensorites and Planet of the Ood are definately adjacent episodes.

Are those both adjacent episodes because they're complete rubbish? Grin

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.47 seconds
9,874,369 unique visits since 8th January 2014