Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 1
Travisina

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Doctor Who Discussion Thread
Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Klenotka wrote:

Did you see the new filming pictures? Filming started this week Smile

No, but knowing that I'm not going to enjoy s10 as much as s7-9 I'm keeping my expectations down and not getting too excited about the filming for next year...

SD, how can you 'know' that already...

Because enjoyment or otherwise is a subjective experience. I have not loved following any drama in any genre in my whole life as much as Doctor Who has gripped my attention and enthusiasm from Asylum of the Daleks to Hell Bent! It's not just about having a favourite Doctor or favourite companion/s or favourite writers or favourite sorts of stories and genre references, visual designs, humour, horror, passion, energy, vibrancy, creativity, and style. It's about all these boxes and many more being emphatically ticked at the same time in a continuous run of productions in a way that few other shows, Primeval and Downton Abbey being my other big examples, have ever managed or are ever likely to manage. Doctor Who changes, and lots that fired my intense passion for everything Doctor Who - on television, in print, in art and fan writing - over the last few years will obviously not be there any longer. That's show business. That's life! It might be great, but it won't be the same for me however good it is. It will go back to what it was from 1990 to 2011 for me, my favourite tv show with some seasons I like more than others.

This could be a terrific season ahead. The Moff seems to have sorted himself out, since Calpaldi became his main man, and also he'll want to go out on a high. As for Calpaldi, let's hope he does stay on for a season or two with Chibnall

Let's hope it's a good one, and I do really want to see a Chibnall/Capaldi season!
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Klenotka
But...how do you know that? I mean, they have been filming for only two days and it you already know? I think for me, it is easier, since Peter Capaldi became my favourite Doctor and after I watched the classic, and got through Matt Smithīs years that I did not like too much (at least until Clara appeared), I think I will stick with it Smile
There are "the best" shows (like Babylon 5 and Life on Mars) and then "most favourite" And thatīs DW for me Smile
I follow and watch others, I recently totally fell for Fringe and I also think it is one of the best shows ever but still...DW is always there, always new and exciting.
So...I think I *get* what you are saying but I am just not sure about the timing because you should say this after at least one or two new episodes of new series Wink
Donīt be Lasagne

Spaceship Dispatcher
Well, to be fair, I did say it will still be my favourite tv series. But the last three seasons have gone way beyond being a tv show in my life, as anyone who knows the word count of my creative writing based on s33-35 and the extent to which I have been scaring my bank manager with s33-35 inspired art commissions will testify.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

trevor travis

Well, to be fair, I did say it will still be my favourite tv series. But the last three seasons have gone way beyond being a tv show in my life, as anyone who knows the word count of my creative writing based on s33-35 and the extent to which I have been scaring my bank manager with s33-35 inspired art commissions will testify.

SD, you said this when Amy was leaving... and then Clara came along Wink Grin

All it needs if for the new companion to be handcuffed at some point... and hey presto Grin Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

SD, you said this when Amy was leaving... and then Clara came along Wink Grin

True

All it needs if for the new companion to be handcuffed at some point... and hey presto Grin Grin

Not quite, I have to be crushing on them first... Wink

trevor travis
Face The Raven - in many ways, Season 35 was more like a RTD season arc than one of the Moff, with largely independent tales only tied together at the end, and this is where things really ramp up, and you start to realise where everything has been heading. Clara's over-confidence, plus her death-wish, result in her completely unnecessary demise, as she plays being the Doctor and comes a complete cropper. Superb acting from the actress formerly known as JLC and Peter in this one. Plus the Raven must have scared the cr*p out of the kids, because it's rather effective, to say the least. Oh, and the idea of a 'trap street' is a wonderful one - Sarah Dollard makes a big impression with her debut DW script. And just to top if off, we have a great cliffhanging ending and Rigsy's graffiti tribute to Clara. 9/10 or 10/10.

Heaven Sent - I think my initial reaction on Horizon minutes after watching this for the first time was a simple "Wow!!!". On repeated viewing, I still think it's something quite extraordinary and right up there with Blink and several episodes of Press Gang as one of the best things that the Moff has ever wrote. The puzzlebox of a plot unfolds beautifully, as the Doctor finds himself in the most fiendish Crystal Maze game ever. A solo episode for the Doctor would only work with a brilliant performance for the central actor and Peter Calpaldi shows here that he's one of the best-ever actors to play the role. The Doctor goes through hell here, with a death-count soaring past even Rory and Kenny from South Park, as time-after-time he drags himself up those stairs. It seems a suitable way of him finally getting back to Gallifrey - to have to go through more than four billion years of hell. Simply an outstanding piece of television. 10/10.

Hell Bent - a season of surprises twists and turns ends up with a final episode that I admit that I didn't see coming. I did half-expect Clara to be resurrected, but not quite like this, as Clara (though still just a heart-beat from death) ends up touring the universe with Ashildr/Me in her own TARDIS stuck in the shape of an American Diner!! An episode that subverts a lot of conventions, with the big return to Gallifrey and any showdown between Rassilon and the Doctor firmly playing second fiddle to the Doctor/Clara story, while the Doctor has his mind wiped, for once, while there's plenty of teasing about the true identity of the Hybrid, and even then, there's not an unequivocal answer. There's also a mass of continuity, although I suspect I'm not the only one who loved the return of a TARDIS with roundels! It lags slightly in the cloister sequence in the middle, but a lot of the final scenes are lovely (while the Doctor paying the Clara theme on his guitar is wonderful!) in a surprisingly upbeat end to the most satisfying season for quite a while. 8/10 or 9/10.
Edited by trevor travis on 02 July 2016 18:44:32

trevor travis
Nu-Who seasons in order of preference:

1. 27
2. 29
3. 35
4. 28
5. 30
6. 31
7. 34
8. 33
9. 32

Spaceship Dispatcher
Thanks for sharing your reviews of the finale trilogy, trevor travis, I'm looking forward to rewatching these myself even more now!

trevor travis

Thanks for sharing your reviews of the finale trilogy, trevor travis, I'm looking forward to rewatching these myself even more now!

A fine trio of episodes, even though I'm still slightly unsure of Hell Bent. I can't decide if I like the way it completely subverted any expectations, or whether it's just a bit weird Grin

I think it showed that the Moff has grown in terms of story arcs. The problem with e.g. Season 32 is within 10 minutes of the first episode, you know how the final episode is going to end... with the Doctor getting around his 'death'. On the other hand, Season 35 kept you guessing... there was no way anyone would have guessed the season would have ended with Clara piloting an American diner through time & space Grin Grin

trevor travis
The Husbands Of River Song - the Moff has always been a very good comedy sit-com writer and for over half of its length, that's what this episode is, with Greg Wallace and Matt Lucas joining Peter Calpaldi and Alex Kingston in the slightly outlandish high jinx. It then mutates into something quite different at its conclusion, as it gains poignancy, as it becomes clear that this is very nearly the end of River's run. Not sure if this will be Alex Kingston's final appearance, but if so, it's a fine last appearance for the character in a fun and enjoyable episode. 8/10.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Still playing catch-up behind trevor travis with this season of episodes...

Today's rewatch was The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion, and it scored equally as high on second viewing if not higher. It just works so well on so many different levels! It's a very traditional invasion of the home counties, a format familiar to anyone who knows British fantasy film and television from the 50s to the 70s and beyond, and is also a very traditional Doctor Who story in a general style and structure that's especially reminiscent of more recent seasons under the creative direction of Russell T Davies. The many direct parallels to real life social divisions and terrorism make it more relevant than any other story that springs to mind, especially when an airliner is shot down by a SAM and we cut to an emotive scene of airplane debris and passenger seats lying on a crash site evocative of the MH-17 news coverage from the previous year. And yet the story also has equally effective moments of surrealism as Clara in a dream state interacts with the outside world via a television set, reminiscent of Steven Moffat's earlier Silence in the Library two-parter. Jenna Coleman shows her excellent acting range as Bonnie, and it was interesting to rewatch the first episode knowing this in advance. The lines take on a different meaning, and the subtle variations between 'Jenna playing Clara' versus 'Jenna playing Bonnie playing Clara' were fascinating to observe and it's well worth noting these even when she is in the background of a shot. But the greatest part of the story for me is the round table set piece with the Doctor, Bonnie and Kate. One of my big passions in the dramatic arts is tense, discussion based, philosophical, character driven stage dramas. Although this scene was obviously a composite created by means of separate takes and visual effects, not least to get Jenna Coleman in the same scene twice concurrently, the end result very much resembles the last act of a very good play. The show and its fandom often makes reference to the Doctor being non-violent and saving the Universe by peaceful means, but that's not actually the case as often as many think. However, this was one of those occasions. The way the Doctor talks the opposing parties into agreement, and the way that the nature of the Osgood Boxes is woven into the reasoning rather than just forgetting about them, is truly outstanding. I'm going to say that this two parter is one of the most accomplished stories in the Doctor Who canon, and the stand-off one of the show's most virtuoso moments. This is a show that has something of genuine educational value to say about relevant social and political issues, and uses its place in the mainstream media to do so; the end product is something I feel Sydney Newman and Barry Letts, both very keen on the show serving an educational purpose beyond mere entertainment, would have been deeply proud of.

BradPaula
As I might have mentioned, we have been watching the 4th Doctor adventures on a local PBS station on Saturday nights. We watched Hand of Fear this week and were quite pleased seeing Oldbury Power Station as the story's backdrop and also the little cul de sac where the Doctor drops off Sarah- a place we also visited our first trip over thanks to the kindness of Lorna!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

As I might have mentioned, we have been watching the 4th Doctor adventures on a local PBS station on Saturday nights. We watched Hand of Fear this week and were quite pleased seeing Oldbury Power Station as the story's backdrop and also the little cul de sac where the Doctor drops off Sarah- a place we also visited our first trip over thanks to the kindness of Lorna!

ELDRAD MUST LIVE!!!!!! Grin

Gauda Cheese
trevor travis wrote:

Nu-Who seasons in order of preference:

1. 27
2. 29
3. 35
4. 28
5. 30
6. 31
7. 34
8. 33
9. 32

I don't think I'd be able to put them all in order since I watched them once, BUT! I never finished the last season. I knew it was going to be horrible when Davros opened his eyes. The Zygon 2 parter killed it for me altogether.

I dunno if Double T realises this, but we're stopping the rewatch at the 1996 TV movie!
Edited by Gauda Cheese on 06 July 2016 11:07:20
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

rojkerr1
I'm with u gauda cheese, the last season is the first dr who season I haven't even bothered to buy, bcos I know I'll never ever watch it again

Gauda Cheese
In Who related news I can't wait for the Cold Fusion adaptation. Bloody book cost me 60 bucks when I got it like a decade ago Oops
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Klenotka
rojkerr1 wrote:

I'm with u gauda cheese, the last season is the first dr who season I haven't even bothered to buy, bcos I know I'll never ever watch it again

For me, it was the first one I bought on Blu-Ray, because I thought it was the best series of NuWho and one of the best on DW ever. Heaven Sent alone deserves a repeated rewatch Smile

It is funny how can two people have a totally opposite opinion Grin
Donīt be Lasagne

Spaceship Dispatcher
Klenotka wrote:

For me, it was the first one I bought on Blu-Ray, because I thought it was the best series of NuWho and one of the best on DW ever. Heaven Sent alone deserves a repeated rewatch Smile

Hear, hear! I'm with u Klenotka Grin

One of my favourite seasons of all time, exactly what I always wanted a new series to be like before there even was a new era of episodes!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Sleep No More. Nope, still don't like this one! Monster fighting episodes are not my favourites, and Found Footage camera work and direction is an acquired taste that... I haven't yet acquired. There are one or two good but brief moments between the Doctor and Clara, but the style of this sub-genre doesn't really play to strengths that appeal to me dramatically. There's one scene that I quite liked, as the Doctor and Clara argue about naming the creatures, but that's about all. Most fans have a story they don't like much even in their favourite seasons, and this is mine where s9 is concerned...

Klenotka

Sleep No More. Nope, still don't like this one! Monster fighting episodes are not my favourites, and Found Footage camera work and direction is an acquired taste that... I haven't yet acquired. There are one or two good but brief moments between the Doctor and Clara, but the style of this sub-genre doesn't really play to strengths that appeal to me dramatically. There's one scene that I quite liked, as the Doctor and Clara argue about naming the creatures, but that's about all. Most fans have a story they don't like much even in their favourite seasons, and this is mine where s9 is concerned...

I think I liked The Zygon Invasion a bit less (the first part was a bit silly) but I agree about this one. I am one of those who really likes Gatissī episodes but this one did not work. It was a great idea but if it was a normal story and not the found footage camera style. DW is, as much as some people may disagree, about characters and their relationships. And those *never* work in found footage. They are just people I watch on camera. There were potentially interesting characters but while, for example, I remember Psi and Saibra from Time Heist that was 2 years ago, I canīt remember a single character from this one, except the Doctor and Clara, and even here I have to try to remember one good scene they were in (I think there was the one where the Doctor asked Clara to hold his hand).
Donīt be Lasagne

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
9,115,975 unique visits since 8th January 2014