Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 1
daro2096

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Doctor Who Discussion Thread
Spaceship Dispatcher
Exciting news about the new Class, the new Doctor Who spin-off series due to start this year! Katherine Kelly, one of the stars of amazing ITV show Mr Selfridge, has been added to the regular cast. Looking forward to this new show very much already, but even more so now that we definitely have a high standard of actor signed up.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Klenotka
I was not sure about it at first but now when I see the main characters are actually people around 18 and not some 13 years old kids, I will give it a chance. Especially if Peter as the Doctor appears in the pilot Smile (big if Smile )
I read some comparisons to Buffy so it made me curious.
Donīt be Lasagne

Spaceship Dispatcher
Opened up the new series 9 dvd box set this afternoon and we all watched Last Christmas as a family. This was my third viewing of the episode and I still can't choose between this, A Christmas Carol and Voyage of the Damned as my favourite Xmas special. Shona is a fun guest character who it would be nice to see again, and the fact that the Dream Crabs pick her up as 'collateral damage' after catching the Doctor leaves the window open for him to plausibly meet her again. The scenes that stand out for me now are still the ones that had the biggest impact upon me on first viewing; the sequence where Clara imagines that Danny is still alive and doesn't want to wake up, and the two alternate endings - Steven Moffat wrote two versions of the ending, one if Jenna decided to leave and one if she stayed, and found a way to keep both in the final edit when she accepted his offer to stay. I love the little touches, like the Doctor helping aged Clara with the cracker as she had helped him in the tower before the Daleks arrived. The banter about Danny's pyjamas underlined why I remain disappointed that Samuel Anderson was only in one series, but series 9 does benefit from his absence in terms of Clara’s relationships with the Doctor and Ashildr. A super episode, and a good start to my series 9 rewatch...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Klenotka
It is one of my favourite Christmas episodes as well. I have it three times now Grin I bought it separately, in the Xmas special box-set and I am not sure why they gave it to series 9 box set but it is there Grin

However....I think Shona was actually preatty annoying character. i would much more prefer to see the other characters, especially Ashley. I was also very surprised by the character of Bellows, whose ending was a bit bittersweet.

But I *loved* the scenes between Clara and the Doctor. It would have been a beautiful ending for Clara, tbh, but I liked her with 12 too much to regret she stayed. Smile it was, well...sort of romantic as well Grin Wink
Donīt be Lasagne

Gauda Cheese
BF license has been renewed up to 2525!
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Just watched The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar, including the prequel to the story, for the second time and loved it more than first time around. It's only now that I'm working my way through the films that I now appreciate what a brilliant homage to the Marvel's Avengers movies this was; a great big franchise mash-up with the Doctor, Clara, Missy, Kate, Davros, the Daleks, the Ood, the Judoon, the Sisterhood of Karn and the Shadow Proclamation! And second time around, even after the negative comments from other fans, I still really enjoyed the concert in the castle sequence. It was such a lovely touch of self parody, giving a nod to Doctor Who fandom and conventions; it was a case of the Doctor, Clara and Missy playing Peter, Jenna and Michelle instead of the other way around! Delightfully meta-fiction oriented! The humour was just as hilarious all the way through even though I remembered most of the gags from last time, and the Jenna/Michelle double act was so natural and funny that I long for the spin-off show that never was - and this is from someone who used to be strongly anti-Missy! There were a couple of references as well that I either did not notice or did not fully appreciate on first viewing: the Jane Austen remark in the classroom is the first overt on screen reference to Clara's change of sexuality, and there's a very subtle Anthony Ainley reference from Missy early in the second episode. In so many ways this story was a lot of fun, with both the writer and the cast having a party that it's so great to have been invited to share.

Travisina
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Another 510 years? Fantastic! In the Year 2525
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

BradPaula
Travisina wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

In the Year 2525? By Zagler and Evens? Hey, I have that 45. Well, that means I'm old. I can hear some of the younger members ask, what's a 45?.....

Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

I can hear some of the younger members ask, what's a 45?.....

... Here, younglings - these are 45s: ...On the 45
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Gauda Cheese
If man is still alive.....

Okay yeah a typo Oops

errr would you believe 3535?

What about 2025?
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Spaceship Dispatcher
The next story to get a second viewing last night was the two-part Under the Lake/Before the Flood, a story highly regarded by many on first broadcast. So what were my highlights second time around? Well, as with the previous story, there were one or two things the significance of which passed me by on first viewing; in the first episode, in the almost electric scene between Clara and the Doctor in the Tardis about her reckless enthusiasm and trying to become too much like him, the Doctor mentions to Clara about getting a tattoo! There are numerous snappy one liners and exchanges in the first episode especially; the lines about the radio and the clockwork squirrel are right up there with my favourite Doctor Who quotes, the punch line referencing nut allergies was great because it was one of those really natural moments (Jenna Coleman clearly corpses when Peter delivers it, but thankfully it was left in the final cut) that make ensemble drama special, and the prompt card scene is both clever and extremely funny at the same time. The latter is brilliant from so many perspectives! It shows the Doctor as a distant figure, set apart emotionally from those around him and an enigma to strangers; it revisits Clara as the egomaniac, softened by her relationship with Danny but now back as a major personality trait stronger than before; it explores the relationship between them, as the Doctor is now clearly happy to not only accept but embrace that side of her personality; it presents them even more a slightly crazy and almost Holmesian (Robert Holmes that is, not Sherlock) double act; and it's also a clever integration and development of Clara's character profile and backstory into the main body of the narrative (many writers past and present have failed to weave aspects of companion characters' lives into the scripts, notably Tegan's recent training and personality traits as a newly qualified airline worker being largely ignored beyond 'getting her back to Heathrow' being used a plot device) as writing 'things to remember' on cards is a wonderfully school teacher-like thing to do! One character that I thought more about on second viewing and with the benefit of hindsight was O'Donnell, played by the stunning Morven Christie, who comes across to me very much as a cross between Amy Pond's sassy Scots spikiness and Osgood's meta-fangirl homage. It's interesting in regard to O'Donnell to consider Bennet's accusation seriously that the Doctor allowed events to play out, and O'Donnell to die, in order to test his theory about the list being the order of attacks by the Fisher King; it's a similar behavioural pattern to allowing, even assisting, events to progress and characters die (especially Viner) in Tomb of the Cybermen. Clara too has good development in this story, as previously mentioned in her growing confidence as a time travelling adventuress in her own right; foreshadowing her separation from the Doctor and travelling instead with Ashildr in their own Tardis beyond her departure from the show. Cass questions Clara's apparently callous attitude to risking others' lives for the greater good, taking her away from the usual emotional identification role of the companion and into the amoral territory of the Doctor himself, and this neatly follows on from the Doctor teaching her this lesson on the space-Orient Express. In terms of the story, it was interesting to see again the narrative device of the Doctor in character talking directly to the audience to explain the plot mechanism. It was not a case of the show 'dumbing down' by explaining itself, because it's fans rather than the non-fan wider audience that care about such things and struggle to get our heads around the working of these concepts. The feel and atmosphere reminded me of a kind of underwater Quatermass and the Pit, with several visual and conceptual similarities especially with the Hammer remake; the craft itself, the use of tunnels, the type of quasi-supernatural themes, the conflict between military and commercial and scientific interests, and the inventive use of industrial technology (a crane, a dam) to resolve the plot. Just on a personal level, I'm a season 5 fan (the original season five) and so love a base under siege story that still has a vibrancy and lots of detail in the setting; detailed and 'lived in' sets, lighting that's neither dazzling nor too gloomy, good costumes, memorable characters. Definitely a favourite for me, this story.

Klenotka
Under the Lake was one of my favourite series 9 stories. I loved the cards Grin And all scenes between the Doctor and Clara were great. Peter and Jenna were getting better and better with each episode they had together.
Donīt be Lasagne

JustBrad
Klenotka wrote:

Under the Lake was one of my favourite series 9 stories.

Mine too. I love it when you get to the end, and the Doctor has already been so clever that he has won. He just hasn't told you how yet.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Historical comedies, made famous by William Shakespeare and reinvented within Doctor Who by Verity Lambert and her team, have been a part of the show on and off almost from the start; from The Romans, The Myth Makers and The Gunfighters in the Hartnell era, through The Time Warrior in the 70s and Delta and the Bannermen in the 80s, to the more recent revival with stories like The Unicorn and the Wasp, The Vampires of Venice and The Curse of the Black Spot. And Doctor Who historical comedies, like the plays of the Bard, are unlike Carry On films for example in that there's often quite a dark element or twist to events.

The Girl Who Died and The Woman Who Lived were my next episodes to rewatch yesterday. Both are obviously very shallow in plot terms, with very simple 'threat from outer space' storylines. But in their defence, neither story is really about their respective plots in the first place; rather, they link together to create an introduction across history of Ashildr as a recurring character and explore the nature of her existence. In this, the two very different stories that connect together into a two-parter by means of her come together very effectively. Playing on the comedy aspects throughout helps minimise the requirement for a deeper plot, shifting the focus very much onto entertainment to keep the pace of the episodes up. This is very important when compared with some of the quite deep philosophising about time travel, eternal life and scientific responsibility that makes up the main content of the drama. One minor criticism of the first episode is the dissonance between the primary narrative element of setting up Ashildr as a new semi-regular character and the amount of time she spends interacting directly with the existing leads; in other, there isn't enough Maisie Williams in an episode mainly about her character. But the second episode more than adequately compensates.

There are, in hindsight with a second viewing, quite a lot of dialogue references to Ashildr and Clara becoming the 'the eternity sisters' and running away together. First time around, the audience's understanding of how the Doctor would 'lose' Clara was played with; would she die or merely be separated from him? The incredibly neat way of engineering both scenarios while staying within the bounds of the show's format and long-time continuity was brilliant, but more on that when I get around to those episodes. Certainly picking up on clues with foreknowledge of where the story is going, both as a narrative and for the characters subjectively, is fascinating and a lot of fun! This exchange between the Doctor and Clara was also significant:

Clara- referring to Ashildr: You've made an impact there!
The Doctor: Stop it...
Clara: She's nice! Fight you for her...
The Doctor: The human race, you're obsessed. You all need to get a hobby.

It's the latest in a series of overt or implied references to Clara's change of sexuality in the wake of Danny's death, but here directed towards a specific recurring character and feelings that will ultimately be acted upon. That she suggests that the Doctor might have romantic feelings towards Ashildr is quite disturbing in an Operation Yewtree sort of way, considering that Ashildr is presented as a girl under the care of her father, and even more so with Clara being a teacher. However disturbing the notion though, it does work in terms of illustrating Clara's growing lack of responsibility; she thinks more and more that she can get away with saying, thinking or doing whatever she likes, getting a liberated thrill from time travel and the empowerment being the Doctor's trusted friend gives her. This is something that has rarely been explored to this extent before in the show but, considering human nature in general, perhaps it's not before time that it was explored here.

Klenotka
My favourite scene is the Doctor explaining Clara why he is sick of losing people (their scenes were very "adorable" btw. Smile ) And I loved how he said, obviously addressing Time Lords: "Who is going to stop me?!"
The whole theme of the Doctor going of rails this series, how he was willing to tear the universe apart for Clara, how she changed under his influence and both became very irresponsible....it was so beautifully done. I think Moffat finally managed to make a proper, working story-arc, while maintaining "adventure of the week" format. I am not sure why some people have problems with this series....I thought it was the best one from the modern DW, with Heaven Sent as one of the best episode ever. But I guess we all see different things differently Grin
Donīt be Lasagne

trevor travis
The Season 35 boxset arrived a couple of days ago.

Last Christmas - the Moff at his best, writing a one-off clever episode (he falls down when it comes to season arcs). Dreams within dreams within dreams - that's something he first tackled in Press Gang, where even the very, very final moments is possibly a dream. Nice and scary for the kids, and plenty of twists and turns. The Danny Pink storyline gains some closure, as an imaginary dreamed Danny tells Clara to get on with her life without him. A nice, little tease that Clara is leaving, although there turns out to be one final dream. Some nice characters, plus a tease that even at the end of the episode that they still haven't fully woken up (the tangerine). Plus Nick Frost in an episode as Santa. Great stuff. IMO probably the second best Xmas episode behind A Christmas Carol. 9/10 or 10/10.
Edited by trevor travis on 18 June 2016 12:06:09

trevor travis
The Magician's Apprentice - the season opener is more a series of set pieces than anything else, although some of them work really well. It's a bit like A Good Man Goes To War in being one set piece after another, but fortunately it doesn't fizzle out in quite the same way. It's also a bit like Attack Of The Cybermen due to the sheer number of continuity references, some from stories more 40 years before. Although I quite like the Genesis Of The Daleks references. As for the scene in the 12th century, I'm afraid it does make me cringe, with the Doctor making unfunny dad jokes. The snake man is a creepy concept and works. 6/10.

The Witch's Familiar - a very different episode, more much low-key and almost a four-hander, with the Doctor and Davros paired together, and likewise Clara paired with Missy. Some bits of clever (Clara in the Dalek), I quite like the Doctor in Davros' chair even though it's daft if you think about it (where exactly does the Doctor put his legs, if Davros doesn't have them?). Other bits are odd - weren't Davros' own eyes burnt from his head; how come he can suddenly open them? But at the same time, some of the character stuff is nice, and I love the Doctor's parting shot to the Supreme Dalek: "Your sewers are revolting". It's a slight mess, but a different kind of mess to the preceding episode. 7/10.

trevor travis
Under The Lake - very much a return to the show's classic roots, with a base-under-siege story and an unfolding mystery. The decision to return mostly to two-parters in this season was an inspired one; and allowed the return of better pacing and a return to greater suspense. There's still room for a little comedy - with the cards that Clara has made for the Doctor. And Clara's craving for dangerous adventure is an interesting moment. Plus with have a twist for the cliffhanger... it appears that Clara is the one in danger, but then the Doctor's ghost swims into view. 9/10.

Before The Flood - I simply LOVE the pre-title sequence with the Doctor explaining the Bootstrap Paradox to camera plus Peter Calpaldi playing electric guitar over the theme. It's an arresting start to the episode, which smashes down the fourth wall in style. There's also quite a disturbing moment when the Doctor allows O'Donnell to die (when she's been built up to be an intelligent and capable character and something of a fan of his), simply to prove a point to himself, which is rather callous. There's still a few horror moments in this second part, with Cass menaced with an axe. As the episode plays out, it because obvious that the Doctor has done something rather clever and it's just a case of finding out what. Quite different to the opening part, but equally as effective. 9/10.
Edited by trevor travis on 26 June 2016 20:08:25

trevor travis
The Girl Who Died - Lots of fun along the way, reminds me a bit of the Vicky The Viking cartoons from when I was little. The message of those were that brain triumphs over brawn and that's the case here too. There's also the examination of how much the Doctor should interfere and the possible consequences of when he does so too much. There's also a lovely moment when it's revealed why the Doctor realises why he's chosen this face with the flashback to the Fires Of Pompeii. And the final scene of Ashildr staying the same as everything changes around her is so effective. Lots to like here. 9/10.

The Woman Who Lived - doesn't work nearly as well. The opening exchanges between the Doctor and Ashildr/Me are great, and deal with the pain of being made immortal;, it apes the Highlander film in some ways. But the whole highwayman plot, complete with walking pet Lion, is just too silly and detracts from the emotional impact of the episode. And if you're going to largely write out Clara of an episode, then do it for a good reason. A curate's egg of an episode and something of a wasted opportunity. A full Highlander homage would have been fantastic. 6/10.

trevor travis
The Zygon Invasion - hugely ambitious, Continent-crossing, urban thriller. It was such an obvious idea to have a sequel to pick up from a certain loose end from the 50th anniversary (what did happen to the Zygons?), and this gets off to a sizzling start. There's slightly too much to fit into 45 minutes and therefore it comes across as a series of set pieces, because it does jump around a lot. But much to enjoy, including the return of Osgood, an evil duplicate Clara and a cracking cliffhanger. 8/10.

The Zygon Inversion - far slowing-moving than the previous episode, with far fewer locations and sets, and all the better for it. Clara is brought full circle to Oswin Oswald in the pre-title sequence; there's also echoes of Donna in Forest Of The Dead. The way she is able to communicate with the Doctor is very clever, while Jenna Coleman also does evil very well. And then there's the whole sequence in the Black Archive. Peter Calpaldi really shines; it requires intense acting that e.g. Matt Smith just couldn't have done. Bonnie is "you can't win my over with words", but that's exactly what he does. Some nice touches as well, such as Kate's "Five Rounds Rapid". And Osgood is a delight again. 9/10 or 10/10.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 26 June 2016 20:30:14

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.60 seconds
9,101,849 unique visits since 8th January 2014