Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Doctor Who Discussion Thread
Angry Angel
I don't really mind either way, if the actor is right. Interestingly, watching the special features on 'Caves of Androzani' there was a news clip of Peter davison and JNT being interviewed because PD was leaving, and they were discussing the concept of a female Doctor as if it was totally reasonable, so it's not a new idea.

http://lucyravenscar.blogspot.com/
Mistletoe12
Who travels with the Doctor is equally important to me. A female Doctor? I dunno, it depends on casting, but Peter Davison's era is a firm favourite of mine because it had the Tegan, Nyssa ... and yes, even Adric dynamic. A good mix of personalities to keep the Doctor on his toes.

Casting wise, it aint gonna happen, but I would love to see James McAvoy in the pivotal role.

JustBrad
A female Doctor would be a hard pill for me to swallow. A female Time Lord who is every bit his equal, and in some ways his superior, I'd like that. Can Romana come back fro E-Space?

The actor topping my wish list to play the next Doctor: Rory Kinnear. He can do drama, comedy, or both at once.

As for companions, I really don't care all that much, as long as they are not annoying.

And please, can we go back to a Master (whoever plays him or her) that is filled with a quiet malevolent genius, and doesn't act like a panto villain?

Lorna
And please, can we go back to a Master (whoever plays him or her) that is filled with a quiet malevolent genius, and doesn't act like a panto villain?

Thanks Brad, I had a good laugh at this!!

Avon The Alpha Grade
Romana has actually returned to 'N-Space' somehow and features prevalently in the Big Finish main range and in the Gallifrey spin off series. So it would be feasible to see her return.

And on the subject of the Master, I agree. The show definitely needs to have an Anthony Ainley type master. His chuckle needs to return.

JustBrad
Avon The Alpha Grade wrote:

And on the subject of the Master, I agree. The show definitely needs to have an Anthony Ainley type master. His chuckle needs to return.

A couple of years ago Charles Dance narrated the BBC trailer for Doctor Who. Unfounded rumors ran rampant that he would play The Master. My mouth is still watering at the prospect.

Klenotka
I want Peter Capaldi to stay. He became my favourite and brought back something from the classic.

I don īt want a female Doctor - simply because it is, again, bending rules for women to take roles created by men. Why not invest into original, great female characters instead?

There is still one more series left with Peter (thanksfully), and then, I am only sure I donīt want another actor under 30 and a woman.

Bill Nighy, preferbly....he could also break the fourth wall and tell the kids not to buy drugs....Grin
Donīt be Lasagne

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

I'd like to see John Simm back. He was a cracking Master.

JustBrad
Klenotka wrote:

Why not invest into original, great female characters instead?

I couldn't have put it better myself.

President Solvite
JustBrad wrote:

Klenotka wrote:

Why not invest into original, great female characters instead?

I couldn't have put it better myself.

+1 to this..

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
NotExpendable
Exactly, decent original female characters. There have been some great female characters over the years and I'd love to return to strong females like that
Emma
@heraldandraste

http://www.dadsonahuntingtrip.com
rojkerr1
I love Romana in the Apocalypse Element, one of my fave Big finish stories, the way she reacts to the Daleks, and the new 6th Dr (to her!)

Avon The Alpha Grade
rojkerr1 wrote:

I love Romana in the Apocalypse Element, one of my fave Big finish stories, the way she reacts to the Daleks, and the new 6th Dr (to her!)

I think I preferred her in Neverland. Thats an amazing story if nobody's heard it. It does require the context of previous 8th doctor stories though. Well worth listening to them too though.

Gauda Cheese
If they can't pull off a female Master (IMO she's horrible) then I have little faith in them doing the same with the Doctor
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

dragonq
I agree with Klenotka's comments too. For goodness sake, just go and write good parts for women.

Klenotka
Gauda Cheese wrote:

If they can't pull off a female Master (IMO she's horrible) then I have little faith in them doing the same with the Doctor

I think Michelle Gomez herself is great and has a blast. But I think she really should have been Rani or some original villain (even from Gallifrey).
But as much as I did not have such a big problem with her in series 8, in the first two episodes of series 9 really edged annoying and I thought they pushed the Doctor back in the first 20 minutes to make a sitcom Missy/Clara (who would be probably able to make pencakes with one hand while being in charge of the UNIT and save the universe by herself...it was really ovredone in the first two episodes). That said, I think those over the top female characters are a bit of Mottatīs trade, who I thought actually calmed down with Peter the past two years but maybe Chibnallīs attitude will be different so I wouldnīt be against Michelle staying for his era (when we won īt have Peter).
Donīt be Lasagne

BradPaula
Michelle Gomez is great but what I object to is her being the Master. I think had they cast her as the Rani, she would have fit wonderfully and there would not have been the tremendous discussions we've had in fandom.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Gauda Cheese
I totally should have said I've nothing against Michelle Gomez, she took the role of the Master and is obviously having fun with it, but we've never seen the Rani in the new series and that would have been cool.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

JustBrad
Gauda Cheese wrote:

I totally should have said I've nothing against Michelle Gomez, she took the role of the Master and is obviously having fun with it, but we've never seen the Rani in the new series and that would have been cool.

Agreed on all counts, the sole redeeming virtue of The Master being a comic villain, and being female all of a sudden, is Michele Gomez's performance.

President Solvite
Agree on all of this.

Who had (or has) several strong female characters.. This Who woman thing is just pandering to the 'current populist whim' in my opinion.. Bring back the Rani (for a foe) or Romana as a hero or anyone actually. Next thing we'll be hearing is James Bond should be a woman! No just no. Its a fun idea in a spoof or one off context maybe and whilst we could argue it could happen, but , I think its a symptom of 'lazy thinking'. "Who" needs a bit of a hook as in my opinion it has lost its 'uniqueness'.. I think maybe as others have suggested changing the character dynamic where it comes more of 'multi hander' than just about the Doctor (like the Davison era... but perhaps more radical, in the style of 'Blink'Wink

We could still have strong female characters, playing against the Doctor's many quirks and faults. A credible equal or near equal /superior! character that could 'mix' it up a bit!

It might even swing me from my current 'meh' stance on modern Who to I have to see it kind of attitude.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.56 seconds
9,932,652 unique visits since 8th January 2014