Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 16

· Rebels Active: 1
Travisina

· Total Rebels: 1,057
· Newest Rebel: macrascal

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
24% [31 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [19 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [22 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 131
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
July 2018 ficlet challenge
purplecleric
The modern symbol for Cancer represents the pincers of a crab, but in Egyptian records of about 2000 BC it was described as Scarabaeus -Scarab- the sacred emblem of immortality. However, in Babylonia the constellation was known as MUL.AL.LUL, and represented ideas of death and a passage to the underworld. This ties in more closely with Cancer in the Blakes7 universe.

The word prompt for July is … ASSASSIN

For the second challenge, flex the writing muscles in your brain by writing a ficlet that ONLY uses dialogue.

purplecleric
Apologies for the late posting - I took a diversion to smallspace Grin

JustBrad
“Oh, my head… where…. Grant?”

“Easy, Jenna, you’ve had a rough time by the look of you.”

“Where’s Blake?”

“No idea.”

“His escape pod should have been near mine. We have to look for him.”

“Sorry, Jenna, that’s going to be a bit of a problem, you’ve been unconscious since they brought you on board about twelve hours ago. By the sound of the engines we’ve been at light speed since then. We’re nowhere near the battle zone. You see, this isn’t my ship. My ship was destroyed in a running fight with the aliens.”

“How did you fight alien battle cruisers in your frigate?”

“Badly. My pilot and gunner were killed in the battle. Life support failed and the aliens left me for dead. I would be, too, dead that is, if this lot hadn’t come along and pulled me out of my burning ship.”

“Who, exactly, are ‘this lot?’”

“They’re Chengans, although they call themselves High Techs.”

“Grant, you say that like it’s a bad thing.”

“It is, Jenna, suffice to say if they get us back to their home planet, we’re dead.”

“Can we escape?”

“That depends, you see, I have a rather powerful hand gun on me, broken down into several innocuous looking pieces. It will take me about ten seconds to put it together, and then I can shoot anyone who gets in our way. I can also shoot anyone who doesn’t get in our way, based on the general principal of shooting people who rescue survivors only to slaughter them. Trust me, I’m in the mood for it, too.”

“So, Grant, help me up and tell me what our escape depends on.”

“On whether or not, once I’ve shot the pilot, co-pilot, navigator, and guards, and maybe one or two of these murdering nurses just for the hell of it, you can fly this thing well enough to evade their scout ships and get us back into Federation space.”

“There’s only one way to find out. You do the shooing, I’ll do the flying.”

“Jenna, this could be the start of a beautiful friendship.”
Edited by JustBrad on 03 July 2018 20:04:22

BradPaula
Brad, a man after my own heart... wait a moment, he HAS my heart. Never mind! Loved your little ficlet! If I can't have Grant, at least Jenna can. You are welcome, Jenna.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Mrs_Underhill
JustBrad - oooh, that was excellent! Very believable for both Grant and Jenna. I can absolutely see Grant being in a mood like that and delivering on it. And of course he fought the invaders too!
The last lines from Jenna and Grant are golden. Smile

JustBrad
Mrs Underhill, glad you liked it, yes, the Grant Jenna alliance is something I've been writing since the late 80's. It was the subject of my first ever fan fic.

To be clear (hard to do in <500 words), Grant didn't so much join the battle as the battle caught up with him (like it did a lot of people).

Mrs_Underhill
JustBrad wrote:
To be clear (hard to do in <500 words), Grant didn't so much join the battle as the battle caught up with him (like it did a lot of people).

JustBrad - actually you managed to make it clear, right here. Smile
JustBrad wrote:
My ship was destroyed in a running fight with the aliens.”

That's what I meant too. That Grant wouldn't escape this fight.

littlesue
@Justbrad...you've nicked the last line of one of the final Revel Saga's installments...but I'm still going to use it, 'cos I love it! Grin
I presume with this dialogue prompt we can still use 'he said, she said' else I'm going to get into a right muddle as to whom is saying what.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

JustBrad
littlesue wrote:

@Justbrad...you've nicked the last line of one of the final Revel Saga's installments...

Which I nicked in turn from Casablanca.

littlesue
JustBrad wrote:

littlesue wrote:

@Justbrad...you've nicked the last line of one of the final Revel Saga's installments...

Which I nicked in turn from Casablanca.

I know...great minds etc.
Mind you, Mr Boucher had no qualms in nicking quotes from films left, right and centre!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Hugbot
Brad, I always loved your Jenna/Grant head canon (and I have used it myself in a couple of stories). And now I finally get to know how it all began! A perfectly convincing scenario. Thanks!

Hugbot
Sorry for this silly piece, but the word ‘assassin’ always conjures up glorious memories of the 80s...

Job Interview

- Welcome to Xenon, Sil!
- Thank you, Avon. I’m glad to be here.
- What is your special field of expertise?
- I am an assassin, my friend.
- You seem to be quite a cold fish.
- That’s just because of my misplaced childhood.
- Your dress sense is also rather odd. You look like you are going to a garden party or even a massive ceilidh. Mind you, we are fighting for real; this is not just a Punch & Judy show!
- Don’t be mistaken; I could enact a script that would make Vila cry.
- Well, now, that is easily accomplished. I am still not convinced. Just look at the colour of your shirt – lavender?
- I love lavender. I am from Scotland.
- That’s a big country.
- From the heart of Lothian, to be precise.
- Not much lavender over there, I’m afraid. You are just clutching at straws!
- Come on, Avon, use your imagination! Aren’t you a visionary?
- That’s torn it. After my experiences with Blake, I am sick and tired of prophets, visionaries and sentimental mercenaries.

Anniew
I have forgiven you.

Forgiveness implies blame. I accept none.

None at all?

Evolution refutes notions of blame. Do you imagine that Homo sapiens evolved to become the dominant predator by apologising whenever they took a life?

We’ve evolved far beyond that primitive need to survive. You’re a sophisticated man not an animal. What of principle? Aspiration?

I aspired to live as comfortably as I could for as long as possible. I did unto others before they did it to me. Is that aspiration and principle enough for you?

And companionship? love?

Ah love...the great illusion. Born out of fantasy, ending in falsehood. An evolutionary trick to ensure our species continues.

You’ve avoided companionship. Freudian slip?

Companionship? I concede companions can be useful. The pack survives more easily than the lone wolf. But the weakest must eventually be culled because they threaten that survival.

Is that why you saved my life? Because I was useful?

Yes....and took it when you became a threat. You were the glue that kept us together and we had to stay together if we were to survive. When your insane notions endangered us, I made sure you left. When I believed you had sold us out, I eliminated you.

Simple as that? We were brothers. Whether you wish to admit it or not. Brothers. When you realised you’d made a mistake, you straddled my body and proclaimed yourself my brother to the entire Federation. As survival tactics go, I’d say that was pretty lame.

If that’s what you want to believe, who am I to stop you? By all means think of me in that way. But make no mistake....wherever we are....whatever....this...is, I will go with you because it suits my purpose. There is nothing more.

I have eternity in which to convince you there is.

You have eternity in which to try.

Oh Avon...
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

rojroj
This is beautiful, Ann!

https://www.facebook.com/blakes7rojblake/
Anniew
Thank you very much. I’m glad it works.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

trevor travis
DEJA VU

“Utiliser to Aries. Mobo The Thirteenth. Five subjects.”

“What’s Mobo?”

“I believe Vila that it stands for Music Of Black Origin. This year’s awards take place on the 13th.”

“You love-sick fool, Tarrant!”

“How was I supposed to realise that Beyonce Knowles was Aries? I was certain it was Jay-Z.”

“Utiliser to Leo. Blackadder The Third. Five subjects.”

“Is Servalan going to be assigning assassins after us for the rest of eternity?”

“Probably.”

“Aaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhh!”

“I thought Leo was a lion, so come that thing that Soolin shot was a venomous squirrel?”

“Utiliser to Yogi and Boo-Boo. Ursa Major The Tenth. Five subjects.”

“Ursa Major?”

“Also known as the Great Bear.”

“Well, I can’t bear much more of this!”

“Utiliser to Utiliser. Xenon The Twenty-Sixth. Five subjects. If a job’s worth doing, do it yourself. Message NOT sent. I’m coming for you Avon, ready or not.”
Edited by trevor travis on 07 July 2018 21:37:09

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

DEJA VU

“Utiliser to Utiliser. Xenon The Twenty-Sixth. Five subjects. If a job’s worth doing, do it yourself. Message NOT sent. I’m coming for you Avon, ready or not.”

Utiliser to Avon, one subject, Gauda Prime.

Absolutely Brilliant, TT. This could go on and on and on and on....

Rainesz
Anniew:
Absolutely beautiful story, gorgeously written.

Hugbot
@Anniew: Brilliant Limbo story and a very convincing portrayal of our supposed heroes!
@TT: Grin Grin Grin

(I hope I can keep up with this thread this month ...)

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Hugbot wrote:

Sorry for this silly piece, but the word ‘assassin’ always conjures up glorious memories of the 80s...

Job Interview

- Welcome to Xenon, Sil!
- Thank you, Avon. I’m glad to be here.
- What is your special field of expertise?
- I am an assassin, my friend.
- You seem to be quite a cold fish.
- That’s just because of my misplaced childhood.
- Your dress sense is also rather odd. You look like you are going to a garden party or even a massive ceilidh. Mind you, we are fighting for real; this is not just a Punch & Judy show!
- Don’t be mistaken; I could enact a script that would make Vila cry.
- Well, now, that is easily accomplished. I am still not convinced. Just look at the colour of your shirt – lavender?
- I love lavender. I am from Scotland.
- That’s a big country.
- From the heart of Lothian, to be precise.
- Not much lavender over there, I’m afraid. You are just clutching at straws!
- Come on, Avon, use your imagination! Aren’t you a visionary?
- That’s torn it. After my experiences with Blake, I am sick and tired of prophets, visionaries and sentimental mercenaries.

And thank you for several days worth of earworms...
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.45 seconds
16,125,449 unique visits since 8th January 2014