Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,059
· Newest Rebel: Johnrcamm

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
24% [32 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
16% [21 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [22 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
7% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [7 Votes]

Votes: 134
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Logic of Empire - Avons survival?
rojkerr1
I was just wondering, those of you who've listened to Logic of Empire, did you twig how Avon survived Gauda prime and lived to tell the tale or did you accept his survival at face value?
All the clues are there in the play, and a lot of people have told me how ingenious they thought it was. As one of the writers and the guy that came up with the idea, I'm really curious!
The thing is I've been reading some quite learned essays and articles on the play, some from books and theses in the states and some of them make a point of saying that Avons survival is unexplained, and inexplicable, when it really isn't! Did we make it just too subtle? Any feedback gratefully received...
cheers Dave

Joe Dredd
The Xenon cavern sounds were too subtle for me to pick up on my first listen. I should have worn headphones to better immerse myself in it! However, I'd seen fanfic before where Avon survived GP due to properties absorbed in the cavern - including one where he hauls Blake's body back to GP hoping to heal him too. Instead Blake is revived as a zombie with only revenge in mind! Perhaps I was exposed to a wider range of stories than most. When I was actively writing stories I got hold of every zine I could to make sure I wasn't duplicating an idea someone else had already come up with.

I also remember some prequel stories of yours (& some by Alan, I seem to recall) in the newsletter (&/or the Magic Bullet website) after LoE came out, including one with Seska corpses under Scorpio's decking which confirmed that aspect.

It would be good to see a list of the clues though, to see if we spotted them all!

rojkerr1
Hi Joe,
the first instance is when the base is destroyed at the beginning, and you hear something howl in protest and frustration.
Avon seems shadowy and haunted, "never alone"
- the Dorians' room background sound effect to the Blake dream, and Avon asks "why him?"
The Blake in the dream uses dialogue from the previous Blake hallucination in Terminal, "lightning raid..." etc
there are several more moments. Characters named after characters in the Picture of Dorian Gray, Kelso for example.
Just nice to know that someone got it!
I remember one listener switched off after the final "do I really care?" gunshots, missed the real ending completely!

Lurena
Hi Dave,
I was intrigued by the wonderful music and sound effects in the audio.
And I wondered why the howling winds were included, but I thought they might be there as a replacement for rain, which is customary in scripts to express a certain atmosphere of sadness, desolation etc.
After some re-listening I noticed that the howl stood apart, but then thought it to be related to Avon's wounded mind.
After finding the published text on the Kaldor City website I got it!
I enjoy re-listening Logic of Empire every now and then. It may be nostalgia, but the voices are so wonderful and the characters well performed.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Anniew
I was torn between two explanations. Given the ending I thought that maybe he had been stunned post GP and then programmed by Servalan to be the “rebellion” or the new Blake and that after the ending of Logic, he would then be mind wiped and start a second Blakean journey. I did get the references to the base. But how are “ Why him.” , Terminal and Blake’s dream clues? Is the suggestion that Avon has conflated the monster and Blake?
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

rojkerr1
I think the "are you here to warn me ?"quote is more appropriate perhaps in the context, the Terminal references were to emphasise the dream state, the creature using past phrases in Avons' mind to get its message over.
It doesn't want Avon to suffer any more "damage" as its resources are already stretched, Avon has destroyed Xenon base, entombed the room, which still requires urgent replenishment, after sublimating Avons death on Gauda prime.
Perhaps the most overt clues were the Dorians' room sound effects, and the initial howling.

Anniew
I agree with Lurena...I love Logic. I certainly got the sound references to the basement but as I said the ending made me second guess myself.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Joe Dredd
Any other details you can share about the script, DT? Is there any significance to the Molyneux references?

rojkerr1
Think AS liked the name, maybe didn't like Wolves!

Joe Dredd
Thanks DT. I'd heard speculation that was the reason why, but I've never seen confirmation.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.34 seconds
16,613,580 unique visits since 8th January 2014