Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 14

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,026
· Newest Rebel: The Preacher711

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [28 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [17 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [8 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
16% [20 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
15% [19 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
6% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [10 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [7 Votes]

Votes: 123
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Auron's neutrality
thewayback7
I'm mulling a Cally/Auron backstory and wondering how neutral Auron really was.

In Children of Auron ...

DERAL : But Auron has always been neutral.

And yet in Bounty, ambassador Lehan was sent to Lindor to form an alliance against the Federation.

SARKOFF : I wanted that alliance.

CALLY : So did we. To resist the Federation.

That doesn't sound neutral.

And Cally indicates not everyone on Auron favoured neutrality:

CALLY That's not true. Just because we happen to be neutral doesn't necessarily --

CALLY Some of us wanted to participate in galactic affairs.

And then we have the rogue Auronar:

1. Two Auronar fled and sold their artificial telepathy technology to the Federation. (Voice From the Past)

2. Six "Auronar" (The Lost) fled because they were "unfit" and working on immoral genetic engineering.

3. The Thaarn was a rogue god who killed another god, and was cast out. (Dawn of the Gods)

Any other oddities about Auron's neutrality that I've missed?

Thanks.

Joe Dredd
Avon's line about the majority psyching the rebellious minority back into line is also telling.

Anniew
FRANTON: Keep trying Zelda, keep at it. But for you our people might have had some natural resistance. Your precious dream of isolation
CA-1: That policy was agreed upon in council.
FRANTON And those in opposition were simply ignored. My father tried to warn you, and so did Cally. And look how you've thanked her.
CA-1: She deserved to be exiled.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Joe Dredd
The Auronar curse, "May you die alone and silent", could be taken to have tones of togetherness/group unity (i.e. die away from the group), in addition it's obvious connection with their telepathic gifts.

Likewise, "A man who trusts can never be betrayed" encourages the population to go along with (trust) official policy.

thewayback7
Anniew wrote:

FRANTON:... Your precious dream of isolation

CA-1: That policy was agreed upon in council.

FRANTON: And those in opposition were simply ignored. My father tried to warn you, and so did Cally.

Yes, that sounds like quite a healthy opposition. The Auronar were not all passive. But "simply ignored" indicates either a strong groupthink, or maybe a big historical event in Auron's past that has made neutrality a sacred and untouchable subject. Thanks.

thewayback7
Joe Dredd wrote:

The Auronar curse, "May you die alone and silent", could be taken to have tones of togetherness/group unity (i.e. die away from the group), in addition it's obvious connection with their telepathic gifts.

Likewise, "A man who trusts can never be betrayed" encourages the population to go along with (trust) official policy.

Yes, the Auronar seem highly sociable, with high trust, along with telepathy which presumably increases the amount of communication. All of that does fit with Avon's line: "The great passive majority psyched them into line". And it fits with Cally's loneliness, and the "warmth" on the moon discs. There's a big group hug going on.

The Auronar also seem to be high IQ technophiles, and "quick" as Cally says. To restrain that intelligence, the forces of conformity must be quite strong.

And on the nature v. nurture ledger, there's also the question of what historical/cultural events might have contributed to those attributes of unity/sociability, IQ/technophiles, and isolation/neutrality, (and the shame of failure). That's the fun part of the backstory to write. Thanks.
Edited by thewayback7 on 17 May 2018 07:08:23

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.35 seconds
14,081,180 unique visits since 8th January 2014