Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,165
· Newest Rebel: Cygnus Bazza

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [37 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
13% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
8% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [23 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
10% [17 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 163
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Gan Breakdown
daro2096
Do we see the real Gan in Breakdown?

MrEModels
Never thought of that - that the raving psycho was the Gan that was arrested and that the Gan we know is the limiter-fitted, brakes are on version. Fascinating idea! Though, acting the way he does, how did have a "woman"? Or maybe they were as bad as each other, like Roal Dahl's The Twits Smile

https://www.facebook.com/MrEModels/
JustBrad
Probably not, as Avon states: It's not my field, but if I am right, then the limiter is feeding scrambled impulses into his brain.

Avon is nearly always right, but every time I watch Breakdown, I have the same dark thought:

What if the limiter isn't malfunctioning, but has merely ceased to function. It's a theory that comes up in the audio drama Mark of Kane. 'They only fit the worst with limiters.'

One Spare Part
It would mean the limiter is a lot more sophisticated than had previously thought. Not only would it limit his violence but also change his personality. I don't belive it. I think he has violence in him as they/we all do and his reaction to the death of his woman was understandable but unwise. He's a big guy with big abilities.

JustBrad
One Spare Part wrote:

It would mean the limiter is a lot more sophisticated than had previously thought. Not only would it limit his violence but also change his personality. I don't belive it. I think he has violence in him as they/we all do and his reaction to the death of his woman was understandable but unwise. He's a big guy with big abilities.

Agreed, it's an interesting theory, and keeping in like with B7's dark and Orwellian nature, but it just doesn't hold water.

It begs another question though, who is Olag Gan that the Feds would go to all the trouble of implanting a limiter in someone who had killed a Security Guard, when he could easily be 'shot while trying to escape?'

In Cygnus Alpha, Gan seems to be something of a leader among the lower grades, and that is perhaps the answer.

One Spare Part
JustBrad wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Agreed, it's an interesting theory, and keeping in like with B7's dark and Orwellian nature, but it just doesn't hold water.

It begs another question though, who is Olag Gan that the Feds would go to all the trouble of implanting a limiter in someone who had killed a Security Guard, when he could easily be 'shot while trying to escape?'

In Cygnus Alpha, Gan seems to be something of a leader among the lower grades, and that is perhaps the answer.

That is really interesting. I hadn't seen it from that POV before. Which makes Gan's lack of storyline even more annoying. There is a depth there that neither his fellow crew members nor the viewers were allowed to explore. That is what fanfic is for! There are so many ways to go with the character.

rojkerr1
as one of the writers of Mark of Kane, I do subscribe to the idea, it does put a totally new light on the benign character of Gan, and David Jackson loved the idea, being the Cat Strangler...
Breakdown was his favourite story for obvious reasons. he gets most to do in it, and he is so good at being cunning and evil, this made him even more scary because you are so used to him being a good guy.
You can see his dark side coming out in Space Fall too, "we only need the hand..."

Mrs_Underhill
Maybe "the woman" was the one to call the police who on arrival bungled it up and shot her instead of Gan. Living in USA you get news like that all the time...

1st season Gan was an enigma, you could imagine anything about him. 2nd season Gan is a decent guy, the conscience of the crew, the simple, straightforward soul. Oh, and a friend of Orac! It's very sweet how he tries to call Orac by name, or tells how Orac is unhappy about something, or takes lessons from Orac.
It's harder to imagine 2nd season Gan to be bad and twisted.

One Spare Part
One Spare Part wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

That is really interesting. I hadn't seen it from that POV before. Which makes Gan's lack of storyline even more annoying. There is a depth there that neither his fellow crew members nor the viewers were allowed to explore. That is what fanfic is for! There are so many ways to go with the character.

My mind is working overtime trying to consider the variables: if Gan was something more before the limiter, where was he? Earth? Or one of the Fed planets? Was HE a freedom fighter like Blake? Or was he another type of subversive character? Did he have valuable knowledge that the Feds did not want him to use but which they could not afford to lose totally? Did the Feds have further plans for Gan once he had been "retuned"? Wow I am fizzing with thoughts!

Lurena
Well, there is not much revealed of Gan's past.
We do not know when they fitted his limiter.
Did he already have the limiter before he killed the security guard? And did his love for his woman overrule the limiter?
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Grade Four Ignorant
I really don't like the idea, the notion of implanting someone with a circuit to effectively destroy their ability to defend themselves and then sending them to a violent and barbaric place like Cygnus Alpha strikes me as just another pointlessly cruel thing that the Federation love to do. It's even more cruel when you take Gan as he is - a dignified, noble and good man.

Dtar
JustBrad wrote:

Probably not, as Avon states: It's not my field, but if I am right, then the limiter is feeding scrambled impulses into his brain.

Avon is nearly always right, but every time I watch Breakdown, I have the same dark thought:

What if the limiter isn't malfunctioning, but has merely ceased to function. It's a theory that comes up in the audio drama Mark of Kane. 'They only fit the worst with limiters.'

I had thought that the limiter worked by basically zapping him or locking up his muscles when he tries to act on murderous impulses. On the other hand, maybe it takes impulses from the more primitive parts of the brain and blocks the murderous ones from progressing to the other parts of the brain, where they would be acted upon. As seen on screen, he could still act a bit violently, like wrestling and throwing people around, but not be able to fire a weapon at someone. ( it also looks like he spears someone in episode 3, but I'd put that down as a bit of a mistake)
No matter how the limiter works, I could imagine feeding scrambled impulses could be seen when gan is gnashing his teeth and so forth, but acting like he's perfectly harmless in order to trick Cally into letting him free, so that he can then go on a rampage... Seems like a more well defined, conscious and planned out action. More like the limiter wasn't working at all.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.84 seconds
23,877,869 unique visits since 8th January 2014