Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Blake's Blog-rolls?
guiser
magnificat wrote:

Many thanks for the info Guiser. It sounds slightly complicated but I expect it's more straightforwardonce one's signed up.

Yes, it is, as you say, pretty straightforward after you sign up. You can then get into the 2001 to present archive with a password straight from the main sign up page. However, I have also belatedly realised that the old archives are accessible through the sign up page if you click through on FAQ. Only the first archive "click-through" works though. I think the other one once had a search engine, so it is a shame that it is gone. The FAQ is probably the source of one of the URL's cited on fanlore.

As far as the older archives are concerned, I wasn't keen on the idea of downloading random freebie software that might or might not be able to access the gz files. It might be worth contacting the list owner for advice on accessing these files, but I never got round to doing so.

magnificat
Thanks v. much for the heads up on this. There's some interesting stuff buried in there.

Joe Dredd
guiser wrote:
As far as the older archives are concerned, I wasn't keen on the idea of downloading random freebie software that might or might not be able to access the gz files. It might be worth contacting the list owner for advice on accessing these files, but I never got round to doing so.

The .gz files are just another kind of compressed archive, like zip files.

I can recommend the free program, 7-zip, as a reliable program for getting into gz and other compressed files. Not only is it very good, but it has a "7" in the name - how's that for a sign of quality?!?

You can download the program from their website: http://www.7-zip.org/.

Once you run the EXE file and the software is installed, launch 7-zip, then go into the "Tools" menu and select "Options". The first tab you see ("System") shows all the compression formats you can associate with the program. If you tick "gz" and "gunzip" in the list and click Apply and OK, then your computer will know that any time you click on a file with a .gz extension it can run 7-zip to open it.

You can close 7-zip, then go to the Lysator archive. Click on one of the "gz" files and 7-zip will open up showing the contents on the right (usually just a document called "1"). You can click on this to open it for reading, but as it has no file extension Windows doesn't know what it's meant to be. It will ask you what program to use. Wordpad works okay but don't use Notepad as it does not show any line breaks, instead presenting it as one massive block of text.

guiser
Joe Dredd wrote:

....I can recommend the free program, 7-zip, as a reliable program for getting into gz and other compressed files. Not only is it very good, but it has a "7" in the name - how's that for a sign of quality?!?....

Thanks for the tip, Joe Dredd. I particularly appreciate the detailed instructions, because I really am clueless and tend to break out in a cold sweat every time I have to do something like that! I can't report back on success or failure yet, because I'm going to wait until I'm in a particularly sunny mood to try it!

winnie-l
Hi Guiser,
No need to fret about the .gz files, having saved & unpacked them many moon ago, they are made into microsoft format .txt files & you can access them here, starting with the VERY FIRST post !!
(links removed - PM if you wish access)

Enjoy! And beware. There is a lot of good, & some quite nasty fighting, in them there archives. (Humans are involved, so......)
Edited by winnie-l on 26 May 2014 10:28:38

guiser
winnie-l wrote:

Hi Guiser,
No need to fret about the .gz files, having saved & unpacked them many moon ago, they are made into microsoft format .txt files & you can access them here, starting with the VERY FIRST post !!

..Enjoy! And beware. There is a lot of good, & some quite nasty fighting, in them there archives. (Humans are involved, so......)

Thanks! I'll let you know if I find any dodgy files. I'm sure I'll be ok with the archives, because any delicate sensibilities I ever possessed have been lost due to lurking about on Dr Who forums! Grin

winnie-l
Hi Guiser,
Great that you found them.
If anyone else wants access to them, please PM me)

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.21 seconds
9,862,562 unique visits since 8th January 2014