Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 966
· Newest Rebel: Chris77

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [24 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [15 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
17% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [15 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
6% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
8% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 108
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Expanse Battle
RichardMk2
Has one seen this series? My brother has enjoyed watching it and he's sent me a link to this trailer on Youtube:-

https://www.youtu...aOuUP3i_J4
One or two nods to B7 in there.

Edited to make link clickable.
Edited by BradPaula on 27 January 2018 21:14:36

Psychostrategist
Whatever network it's on in America and their aligned media partners really built up high expectations for this series with lots of trailers and articles on it well in advance of the premiere. It was universally praised in these articles. I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes and stopped. I found it boring. I am not sure exactly why. It's as if it has all the right ingredients but just isn't prepared correctly. It's got cool spaceships, technobabble, even its own language in the same sense as Klingon is a language with syntax and consistent vocabulary. Some of the scenes were interesting and I felt interested in some of the characters some of the time but overall it just did not hold my attention or interest, and though I'm quick to criticize what I don't like I'm frankly not difficult to hook when it comes to sci-fi.

It had the cop show aspect to it somewhat like Bladerunner, had some interesting lore behind some of the physical changes that happened to human bodies when they started living their lives in different gravity, and visually the show was appealling, but not in a different sense from the way Spaceballs spoofed the long shot of the opening Star Wars, of every Star Wars that's ever been, in which there's a long sprawl with a ridiculously large ship with lots of little guns and ports and bays and loads of detail. I wish I could have gotten into the show.
Much of the windup, the early part of the first season has to do with political powerplays back on Earth while the action takes place in space in various locations. Some of the tensions between groups felt rehashed, felt to me like on Babylon 5 when the humans on Mars were itching for a revolution against Earth.

I think it's been well received in America probably, as sci-fi goes which never really draws a huge audience here unless it's Star Trek or Star Wars and in theaters. I find Dark Matter much more enjoyable. It's probably as much Canadian as American, from the actors at least. I find myself wanting to see what happens next from episode to episode whereas I just didn't care about this show, to my surprise.

It is hard to get into, or was for me, but around episode 5 or 6, wherever I stopped watching, the differing story arcs do converge and the main plot of the show begins to congeal but getting there was very slow-going and I just didn't enjoy the ride. Your mileage may vary of course.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.24 seconds
11,140,882 unique visits since 8th January 2014